Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GrizzlyRed

The Evolution of DOOM

Linguica said:

*starts video* UGH THAT ASPECT RATIO

Hey now, I'm supposed to be the forum's loquacious and pretentious resident aspect ratio nitpicker!

Well, I feel duped. May as well been a rickroll link in there... would have been the same difference.

OK. Honestly, I've expected more than this from a video that got its own thread. Something like detailed insights, comparisons or trivia, not just brief gameplay footages.

scifista42 said:

OK. Honestly, I've expected more than this from a video that got its own thread. Something like detailed insights, comparisons or trivia, not just brief gameplay footages.

Unfortunately a lot of "history" videos are just exactly that. A series of images or gameplay clips in order of the games beginnings. They probably should be called historical slide shows as opposed to evolution videos as that would imply more information on the details behind it...but they don't always do that.

Still a nice watch through though sometimes, I've yet to have a look but yeah...these types of videos are common.

What evolution? It's basically two games, doom 1+2 and doom 3. That new teaser was just chokefull of canned animations, it's not ready to release.

The evolution is in the mapping/modding scene and the various source ports.

I'd argue that Doom 2 is more of an expansion/extension of the original product than an evolution. And Doom 3 is more of clean break/reimagining than an evolution.

Shit video title, brah.

The expansion concept didn't even exist during and before Doom 2, and Doom 2 has more content than an expansion usually has, expansions are usually much shorter than the main game and Doom 2 was much longer than Doom 1 due to there being more maps.

Avoozl said:

The expansion concept didn't even exist during and before Doom 2, and Doom 2 has more content than an expansion usually has, expansions are usually much shorter than the main game and Doom 2 was much longer than Doom 1 due to there being more maps.

Well, would you consider Master Levels and Final Doom to be a proverbial "expansion", then?

Sodaholic said:

I'd argue that Doom 2 is more of an expansion/extension of the original product than an evolution. And Doom 3 is more of clean break/reimagining than an evolution.

Shit video title, brah.

It's an evolution I think, it is supposed to chronicle how each game changed with release, like people make evolution games about Fallout, GTA, Elder Scrolls, Sim City and so on and those games changed a lot as time went on.

Avoozl said:

I wouldn't say that was true...it feels to me more like a small add on rather than a full expansion. Other games have much meatier expansions than Doom had gotten.

Avoozl said:

The expansion concept didn't even exist during and before Doom 2(...)

Spear of Destiny? It can be considered?

Noiser said:

Spear of Destiny? It can be considered?

Wolf3D, Wolf3D The Nocturnal Missions (they were originally sold separately) and Doom1 were originally only available via mail order. Spear of Destiny and Doom2 were created to sell at retail.

As such, Wolf3D and Doom1 could be considered proof of concepts for Spear of Destiny and Doom2.

Vermil said:

Wolf3D, Wolf3D The Nocturnal Missions (they were originally sold separately) and Doom1 were originally only available via mail order. Spear of Destiny and Doom2 were created to sell at retail.

As such, Wolf3D and Doom1 could be considered proof of concepts for Spear of Destiny and Doom2.

Doom was one of the first early-access games

Avoozl said:

The expansion concept didn't even exist during and before Doom 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_pack said:

video games have been releasing expansion packs since the 1980s, early examples being the Dragon Slayer games Xanadu Scenario II and Sorcerian.

Avoozl said:

heh

JudgeDeadd already posted the wiki link to expansions in general, but here's my personal favorite counter-example. Darkside of Xeen is a full-fledged, standalone game... That is also an expansion for Clouds of Xeen, so if you have both games installed at once they combine together like Voltron.

In the era of Doom 2, Expansion Packs were popular. Basically, an add-on with extra stuff added onto it. New levels, a few new mechanics, all that good stuff. Kind of like the Rise of Rome expansion for Age of Empires.

I always clumped the first two together. Save for some new monsters and the super shotgun, it's the exact same game.

I always thought of Doom 2 like this.

"Hey John."
"Yeah John?"
"I think Doom should have had a double barreled shotgun."
"Me too."

Boom. Doom 2 was made.