Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cr0wb4r

Updates and Tweaks to older assets

As I'm not 100% sure what will happen to all the older FreeDoom assets from 0.9, I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to assets that will stay in, but will probably need a few tweaks and changes for 1.0.

Since RSKY2 from FreeDoom 2 has some satanic imagery on one of the buildings, I decided to edit out the imagery so as to fit with the direction FreeDoom is headed.

Of course, I don't know if this sky will get replaced but I thought the thread might be of use anyway.

I'd rather move on to 0.10 for the next version than to call it 1.0. It shouldn't be 1.0 until every asset slot is occupied by high quality material. There's some way to go before we reach that point.

http://www.filedropper.com/citysky

Link to the edited sky image for anyone interested.

Been tweaking the textures from the Problematic thread.

Got this one here tweaked now with two panels instead of three and some bumps in-between.

Edit: Still working on tweaking the other one, adding a third light row didn't seem to work out well, so I'm going for colour/contrast tweaks instead.

Not that I can do better, but I've never liked the way RSKY2 looks at all as a whole anyway. It seems very poorly done compared to the rest of the game's assets.

Not really sure I like the edit. It's clearly the same pattern copy-pasted, and I'm not too keen on changing the structure. Remember that the geometry of many maps are based around the structure of textures.

Better to change color or other elements of appearance.

Marnetmar said:

Not that I can do better, but I've never liked the way RSKY2 looks at all as a whole anyway. It seems very poorly done compared to the rest of the game's assets.

I agree. Maybe I could whip up a new one. I'd probably take a picture of downtown Akron's skyline to use as a base.

I did think about changing the Green to Red. I'll have another look into it. I'll try and improve contrasting on some more edges as well as changing colour, some edges look a little faded.

Suggestions for colour will help too as I don't want to pick out a colour everyone hates. :P

wait people!

remember that freedoom can increase texture count, variations like those ones can be included alongside the unedited versions. crwobar, you can go crazy with edits if you want

look at this silly examples

this dumb textures could be added, even thou it doesnt correspond to original dooom

theres few bad textures on freedoom now. i suspect that if we created a body of interesting textures that dont correspond to the original doom we might attract more mappers to the project, specially the texture obssessed old guard, wich would be good since they re the ones who stick to boom format the most

Guess I could create some different ones from the older ones then. The skull picture looks interesting, wonder if it could be used for the final boss.

Ok, here's an edit of RW32_2.

And here's a link to File dropper with the new textures. (named RW15_5 and RW32_4)

http://www.filedropper.com/newtextures

Marnetmar said:

You know, we have had the "Let's replace RSKY2 in FreeDoom with something else" discussion before: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/66837-burning-city-f-sky2/

I feel FreeDoom's RSKY2 is its very best sky texture; indeed, it's better than DOOM2's RSKY2. Let's keep it.

I still want to replace that sky too.
I still have a new RSKY under construction. It got held up by needing a decent quantizer, so I wrote one. The quantizer is still not up to the job, so it is waiting for a surge of inspiration again. I thought I had a new idea on how to fix the quantizer a few weeks back, but I may have forgot it by now.
I will have to put some more time into that project too.

So I thought about redoing the M_SKULL images with something new. I went with a prism shape since prisms were mentioned on the keycard icons thread which gave me the idea for this. :P

I drew these up fairly quickly so they're a bit dull. The animation seemed to work ok in-game.

I may as well post up my menu skull as well. I made this several months ago based on Raymoohawk's texture. Could make a nice skull switch as well, maybe I could make a bigger size. Would also work as a TNT/Plutonia texture (I forget which one had the big skull wall).

I also made this thing several months ago:

The intention being that it'd be a patch to replace the Hitler portrait Wolf textures.

I have got my quantizer working.
Have made some updates to my RSKY2 city.
It should be possible to finish that up now.
I have made some city wall textures for the purpose, but need a few more.

bosf need to be replaced, alas i have no idea what to replace them with

maybe it could be something resembling a mini version of eriance's rotating monster

MAP01 is a very close to original Doom 2 imitation again. The reason we duped E1M1 -> MAP01 was because the previous MAP01 was a very-close-to-the-original Doom 2 imitation. History is repeating!

I've had the idea that the prisms could be used for the power up spheres too. It would make a decent change from the DOOM-like sphere's currently used.

I don't believe there should ever be a Final Doom equivalent, seeing as they were basically stand-alone megawads for Doom 2. Phase 2 is all we need to handle Doom 2 type of content - which itself is in need of desperate overhaul in maps and music IMO.

I'm also against the idea of using anything but one set of assets. Phase unique assets should be specialized stuff like titlepics, not textures or sprites.

Also, that "radioactive" patch is somewhat ugly.

i disagree phase 1 and 2 should have different, but clearly related sprites. that said something like that should only be atempetd once we have a complete set of high quality assets

as for the spheres, maz and i are designing little reptiles like the one in the bird guy's arm, they will each have theyre own style to indicate whay they do, for example invuleravility will be a bruiser looking reptile, and megasphere will wear a nurse hat. they could give an illusion of the player being there to save them, since being pickups, they would dissapear (like the civilians in hovertank 3d)

Freedoom2 is already the final doom equivalent that is 99.9% compatible with Final Doom pwads. There is a minor texture glitch that cannot be solved since it is needed for 100% Doom2 support. Many Final Doom textures are probably still placeholders and should be updated.

Not sure about different enemy sprite sets between Phase 1 and 2.

i still find it strange that so few people are willing to contribute maps, i mean other projects have like leftover maps that are top quality, and we dont have enough good stuff to fill one game (dont get me wrong we do have good maps too)

The powerup sphere replacements need new names:

GOTSUPER = Nurse Zam heals you!
GOTINVUL = UltraZam grants you temporary immortality!
GOTINVIS = PhantoZam grants you temporary invisibility!
GOTMSPHERE = MegaZam powers you up!

And some of the other stuff needs renaming too, to fit the new sprites:

GOTBERSERK = Picked up a vial of Zamanthyte blood!
GOTBFG9000 = you got the SKAG 1300 ... time to kick some ass!

There's a set of cleaned up and fixed SKAG frames, as well as a much updated "Danger" sign posted here but they don't seem to have been discussed for addition to the project's assets yet (?).

Additionally, there's an alternate SKAG based on the old Plasma Rifle:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=19260#p823022
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=19260#p823039
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=19275#p823121

This one is mentioned here but again not sure if it was considered for inclusion in the project.

Also, what's with the updates to the Polaric Energy Cannon found here? Was this abandoned?

MrFlibble said:

Additionally, there's an alternate SKAG based on the old Plasma Rifle:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=19260#p823022
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=19260#p823039
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=19275#p823121

This one is mentioned here but again not sure if it was considered for inclusion in the project.

Those two SKAG edits are the same, I just registered under a different username here. Also bringing up the subject of edits, there is also an additional Energy Cannon frame by Minigunner here that is interesting: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&p=541127&hilit=freedoom#p541127

maybe its time to replace some of our crapier weapons with some eriguns. if you guys want i can do the job of pestering him about it