Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Post your earliest wad and lets talk smack about it!

Cell said:

I dunno if either maps that are posted after 80 replies aren't "smackworthy" or it is a tradition to ignore my posts, but I'm not even mad...

I'm on a hiatus from this while I have work to do on Mutiny, since that is my top Doom-related priority right now. But when it's done/I get time I'll be back playing and making fun of the wads posted here.

As I said before, this thread would be best if there were more people talking smack about the wads here and (preferrably) making jokes on em. Like jaxxoon and I did a few times. That would also make yourself a better target for jokes on your earliest wad.

I think Doomkid played it, but when I get the chance I'll try and give it a go and make some probably bad jokes about it.

Still, im gonna most likely be more drawn to the maps of either participants in this or maps with good descriptions/small area/low monster counts/etc.

Oh boy..... I still have one of my earliest wads that I never released (and never will publicly release it). I made it back in 2013, called Combat Doom. By today's standards, it's pretty much the epitome of shit.

A prime example of a horrible newbie linear map from my very first wad:

^That's actually really good for a first map (obviously I remember it well) if you compare that to my first WAD, made when I was 9/10... Oh boy. I wish it was still out there, I even remember the name (!a3e.wad) and it was a bunch of incorrect doors that only function partially, STARTAN everywhere, big boxy rooms loaded with enemies, bits copy+pasted from the IWADs and turned glitchy as a result because I didn't know what I was doing... The wad was played by me and a few other young ones on Doom Connecter quite a few times if I recall correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on some dusty hard drive in someone's basement who hasn't played Doom in 10+ years.. lol.

I'm glad the absolute earliest WAD of mine is MiniDM.wad from when I was about 11. At least it was competent and everything functioned properly, even if the texturing and layouts were generic as can be.

Well pcorf, I watched the video. Good idea with that because at least we don't have to be at our computers to get the experience. Now to the "trolling:"

Notice how I didn't say "good experience"

I really liked the choice of textures, the brown wooden columns were a great contrast to the brown stone walls

If somebody took a giant turd, named it Bono, and then turned it into a Doom map there would still be less brown.

One of the first uses of red was really sweet because it was so dark it almost looked like more brown

Recreating "The Chasm" in that really dark room was a great idea, people loved that map.

I liked how all of the keys were totally traps.

Speaking of traps, I really liked how the majority of the first half was almost completely devoid of them.

It was interesting how in the video the guy skipped HK's more than a few times and punched out more than a couple monsters and still didn't have enough ammo for the end.

It looked like after the second death the player had to stop to contemplate what went wrong in his life to get him to this point. Too little sex, drugs and rock'n roll would be my guess.

That double-scrolling skullterfuck wall flowing out of the mid-line, idk what that was, but it looked like I had stepped into an alternate-dimension's version of Hell made by a bipolar Satan.

If that was a revamped version, the original mustve been 100% Startan ;p

Nah, all joking aside, the map looked fun. Good detailing in most parts, aside from all the brown ;p Monster placement looked good and made it look fun to play, even though the health and ammo amounts would have me strongly consider taking a bath with my computer handy and plugged in, if I played the map.

Good stuff ^^

Doomkid said:

There are a LOT of wads on this page already Cell - Just give it a little time and patience ;)

EDIT: Welp, like a lot of other maps on this page, it wasn't actually awful, just unremarkable. The lack on enemies made it very boring but the "switch hunt" concept is executed fairly well, and other than the lack of texture variation, the lighting effects (light shining through bars, for example) looked nice and I liked the 'conference room' bit as well.

Unremarkable, but with enemies would be a pretty fun little map. I like that whole 'secret passage' vibe it gives.

That's only the first map (which was meant to be a heavily ZDoom-scripted hub thingy if ever done). :D There are other 2 on the slots 6 and 7.

Welp, without Fonze, this thread seems to be dying. Time to step in.

GooberMan said:

Oh indeed it has. I've already scheduled an appointment with my doctor, and a priest for my computer. The map starts with nothing but STARTAN, alluding to the mass shit you're getting into. A good portion of the map is brown, and it's generally the same texture for each section, not much to the eyes. I must say, I enjoyed how instead of adding music, you allowed me to contemplate my life choices while 'exploring' your mindless corridors. The only real surprise I got was the swinging door, which opened when I was looking away, and when I figured out what it was, I spent a few moments yelling at my computer "IT'S NOT NATURAL!". By far the scariest part of the map was the fact that there are four more supposed episodes to that...

No offense GooberMan, but I hope you burn in hell for what you've done, and have a great day.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, your stairs are confusing as fuck.

Fonze said:

The wad file by itself in a zipped folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z1mehkgraqnuy8/WADOSHIT.zip?dl=0

Speaking of Fonze, don't think we've forgotten your map. Again, first thing I see is a whole lotta STARTAN and stairs with... an erection? I don't know how else to take that... And small corridors that take tactical combat and throw it out the window, leaving you unable to dodge anything that comes your way. I really enjoyed having crucified Jesus throwing fireballs at me, upstairs from the boner. If we're doing a cream of the crap for crate mazes, boy do you take the cake, and shit on it. That maze is so horribly confusing, only to be made worse by seizure-inducing lights. And, to top it all off, there's a "secret" pit with a rocket launcher that says, "Hey buddy, There's only one way outta this hole, and that's me... And you won't come out alive."

In all seriousness, kill the lights, and reupload the map, Fonze. I'm honestly scared that someone is going to have an epileptic seizure and die because of that.

C'mon, c'mon, feed me more. Can't crank out more of these without anything to play. I can't sleep, so I might as well do shit.

LanHikariDS said:

Welp, without Fonze, this thread seems to be dying. Time to step in.

Oh indeed it has. I've already scheduled an appointment with my doctor, and a priest for my computer. The map starts with nothing but STARTAN, alluding to the mass shit you're getting into. A good portion of the map is brown, and it's generally the same texture for each section, not much to the eyes. I must say, I enjoyed how instead of adding music, you allowed me to contemplate my life choices while 'exploring' your mindless corridors. The only real surprise I got was the swinging door, which opened when I was looking away, and when I figured out what it was, I spent a few moments yelling at my computer "IT'S NOT NATURAL!". By far the scariest part of the map was the fact that there are four more supposed episodes to that...

No offense GooberMan, but I hope you burn in hell for what you've done, and have a great day.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, your stairs are confusing as fuck.

Speaking of Fonze, don't think we've forgotten your map. Again, first thing I see is a whole lotta STARTAN and stairs with... an erection? I don't know how else to take that... And small corridors that take tactical combat and throw it out the window, leaving you unable to dodge anything that comes your way. I really enjoyed having crucified Jesus throwing fireballs at me, upstairs from the boner. If we're doing a cream of the crap for crate mazes, boy do you take the cake, and shit on it. That maze is so horribly confusing, only to be made worse by seizure-inducing lights. And, to top it all off, there's a "secret" pit with a rocket launcher that says, "Hey buddy, There's only one way outta this hole, and that's me... And you won't come out alive."

In all seriousness, kill the lights, and reupload the map, Fonze. I'm honestly scared that someone is going to have an epileptic seizure and die because of that.

C'mon, c'mon, feed me more. Can't crank out more of these without anything to play. I can't sleep, so I might as well do shit.

Hahahaha that was such a great way to wake up. Happy birthday to me from LanHikariDS lol. Nothing like turning 26, being made more humble each year by God with the numbers getting higher and getting a nice message like that to really drive the point home. Ah good times ^^

We need more ppl like Lan, that was so funny. Both of em. Now I'm gonna have to find a wad by you >:D

Fonze said:

Hahahaha that was such a great way to wake up. Happy birthday to me from LanHikariDS lol. Nothing like turning 26, being made more humble each year by God with the numbers getting higher and getting a nice message like that to really drive the point home. Ah good times ^^

We need more ppl like Lan, that was so funny. Both of em. Now I'm gonna have to find a wad by you >:D

Oh, it's your birthday? Happy birthday, Fonze! I shared my WAD here. It's on the... third page, I believe.

EDIT: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1399889
If you thought that was funny, I also reviewed Glaice's maps here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1400216

Fonze said:

We need more ppl like Lan

The Liberty Unleashed community would think otherwise

LanHikariDS said:

Oh, it's your birthday? Happy birthday, Fonze! I shared my WAD here. It's on the... third page, I believe.

EDIT: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1399889
If you thought that was funny, I also reviewed Glaice's maps here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1400216

Ty bro! I love getting older, "shorter of breath and one day closer to death" >.<
(good ole pink Floyd)

Yeah I remember your review of glaice's map, that was funny. You and jaxxoon man...

Y'all are gentlemen and scholars, I don't care what others say about ya... Lol jk. Y'all crack me up haha.

Yup, ima be playin this wad later tonight. I'll expect greatness. And of course by greatness I mean that I'll expect that I'm going to want to take the easy way out of life before my 26th birthday is over. But how to do it? Idk I've always been partial to the idea of pain-stakingly teaching penguins to eat meat and attempting to congratulate them all afterward with one big group hug.

So far, idk what's worse, the self-punishment of playing all these wads or the self-punishment of that other thing.

*Edit*
Lol I just saw what you said about the LU community, that's so fitting hahaha

Fonze said:

Lol I just saw what you said about the LU community, that's so fitting hahaha

No, it's funniest if you see me play. On a server I get on, I tend to bust players, which pisses them off. I am possibly THE most hated player on that server. XD

WARNING: BAD WAD PLAY UNDER YOUR OWN RISK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ts9gp6df0cwqh88/DM_NEPTUN.zip

Run on Any zdoom port, since it just use some basic features of the format Zdoom Doom in Doom Format

Around 2003 when doom builder was released i found the awesome editor and started to make maps, then i meet my friend phobosdm256 ( i guess its his youtube channel actual name) anyway i meet him in a forum about how to use skins in zdoom because that time i found doom connector and wanted to play with custom skins, and bla bla bla yadda yadda, yay we now friends and play my maps!, After that we meet other friends and well, i started to make this wad as practice my mapping and well to have fun while playing coop mode.

Map01 and Map02 arent the same that originally the wad have, Map03 to umm i guess Map21 are the original first maps i made (thought the wad dont have map19, map20, and map22 its unfinished oh and map07 probably i made it after i made map21 i guess) i think this wad show how i went from square blocky map of 32 grids to more complex patterns everytime you advance. (though you can play original map01 in the editor if you choose to open the map DMNEPT).

I warn you, this wad would give you tremendous Wad Cancer, it have ANY possible thing that would make mad anyone: Stealth Monsters, Huge amount of Monsters, Pillar running, Jumping Pillar running, etc, etc, etc. though my friends in that time have fun playing this wad because well... probably we were some freaks in that time (and my favorite maps from this absurd and ugly wad were map14 and the unfinished map22)

Probably this wad its the best example of "What not to do" in your doom wads. but im happy because thanks to that and a lot of practice i do the maps that i do today.

After i made this monstruosity i decided not to continue because i started to worry about my mapping would become absurd and "slaughter" so i decide to make it from scratch and using the new formad called "ZDoom Doom In Hexen format" and then this was born: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j6rqq4w3v43q918/NeptunesR.zip (not bad but still have stealth monsters) but got tired on working to remake every map i made on DM_NEPTUN (only remade map02 and map01 its new from scratch since the map01 in DM_NEPTUN didnt made sense).

And then i made many many wads project that i never Finished

You'll rarely see me deduct points for stealth monsters. They're fucking hilarious and I think they can be used and abused in many similar ways to regular monsters.
They weren't put in for no reason.

I guess there's just a finer line between a good use and a bad use with em though. But when I hear people say that spectres are too visible, then also hear stealth mobs are cheap, then the first one again... well, you can figure out that you'll never please everybody on your own. Point is, understand what you're using; you wouldn't use a skateboard to build a shed, so why use stealth mobs as regular mobs to build a map. A few go a long way to scaring the f*ck out of a player.

I still sometimes like to throw in one or two stealth imps on UV mode to screw with players' heads. Only one or two usually and I don't like to put in the higher tiered mobs as stealth, because it's just cheap. I do remember one map I played from someone here that had a couple stealth revenants that suprised the Hell outta me with a punch in the back. I thought they were a great touch, but that's just me.

On the flipside, I would like to play a map with a majority of stealth enemies, assuming it's done right. That's always the toughest part tho, figuring out if it's done right or a waste of time.

Well, I got my laptop ordered, so soon I'll be able to do more Doom stuff, but for the next couple days I'll try and play through 2 more of these.

I can always roast a video of a map or a song since those can be accessed by my phone.

To Lan:
Lol! When you say bust, do you mean you rag on them or you repeatedly kill them, like bust their bubble, lol. Is that a Doom server or some other game?

I don't do too much multiplayer anymore, but if coaxed into it I might go in and cause some chaos ^^

I'm always the guy who's everywhere at once causing general chaos. As long as lives don't matter I'm usually running in repeatedly and dying, typically with a higher K/D than 1. I loved my short spurt on Battlefield cause I'd hunt the snipers down and get em in cover with the bullet drop. Good times ^^

ohh trust me, this its the most cheap wad i have ever made jeje, since it use "high" tier monsters in stealth mode (mainly archviles) almost every map use stealth monsters to get you killed in the most unfair way, now that i replay the levels i just told to myself "man i sure loved to die so much in these coop matches we have back day"

i can safely said DM_NEPTUN its impossible to do in single player without cheats like over 9000 of health or budda mode. but then its was planned as coop wad for us in that time anyway, yet its the first wad i have ever made though.

now that looking some of my old maps probably i can remake them for the missing maps for freedoom since they look pretty well with freedoom textures

The oldest wad I still have around is my Hyena project from forever ago.

Unfortunately it doesn't have my oldest maps (which would have been cool to still have around). But it's close.
I think e1m3 is the oldest map in the bunch.

It is this airfield thing with a maze that got a wall that fires at you and it looks horrible and the aircraft can be entered, but it's really janky to do so because it's narrow and difficult to move around in there.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/Ports/megawads/hyena.zip

Fonze said:

To Lan:
Lol! When you say bust, do you mean you rag on them or you repeatedly kill them, like bust their bubble, lol. Is that a Doom server or some other game?

I don't do too much multiplayer anymore, but if coaxed into it I might go in and cause some chaos ^^

I'm always the guy who's everywhere at once causing general chaos. As long as lives don't matter I'm usually running in repeatedly and dying, typically with a higher K/D than 1. I loved my short spurt on Battlefield cause I'd hunt the snipers down and get em in cover with the bullet drop. Good times ^^

Nonononono, they wish XD Liberty Unleashed is a multiplayer mod for Grand Theft Auto III. In the specific server I get on, if you get in a police car, you can bust players who have wanted levels (Acquired by either killing players, or exporting vehicles (Occasionally)), which sends them outside the jail of the district, takes some of their money, and takes ALL their weapons. On that server, on the leaderboards, I'm 7TH place with busts, with 151 under my belt. However, there was a time when the server went down, and because I wasn't regestered on their website, I lost all my stats. Back then, I had about 200 under my belt. Lives don't matter, but when you die, like when busted, you lose some money, and all your weapons. There are ways to circumvent this, however, I frown upon them. I'ma eat, and get cracking on these WADs

EDIT: If you want to talk further about this, PM me. If we keep on it here, this'll most likely get sent to post hell for being off topic.

EDIT2: So, tried to play 'Hyena' and, ZDoom was acting really weird. It was lagging, monsters were disappearing, and whenever I killed a zombieman, they dropped to the ground, stood BACK UP, and fell again, stopping at this frame. Also, barrels stopped there, too. I'll try again when I'm not running such demanding programs in the background

EDIT3: Does anyone else think that explosion looks like a Kago from Super Metroid?
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/b/b5/Kago_en_Super_Metroid.png/revision/latest?cb=20110626031928&path-prefix=es

Lol must've been good timing on that screenshot, it does to me.

At first I thought you were about to suggest that the author made monsters that would die and get back up and continue fighting. That shit would be sweet ^^

So what's with the Doomguy looking like he's eaten too many cheeseburgers in that screenshot? Too many steroids followed by mouth and stomach workouts on the couch with a rack of ribs? Look man being a space rent-a-cop is a tough gig, we shouldn't judge his obvious fit-ness to be Earth's last hope.

Well, I can't complain about the maps in in Hyena.wad, they're as good as the Ultimate Doom maps. Oh wait, they ARE the Ultimate Doom maps, and they're worse. All the Hyena set does is add some monsters to the maps, and changes some behavior now. All the 'bugs' I mentioned in my previous post (except for lag) actually weren't caused memory issues on my computer, the WAD/DEHs are made to do that. Also, there's a new Imp that's the first thing you see, and it's more annoying than regular imps. It throws fireballs faster, has more health (a LOT), and its melee attack is devastating. In fact, all monsters, when they melee, keep at it like the Chainsaw. It also changes the status bar face to what looks like Adolf Hitler, if he traded his Charlie Chaplin mustache for a Rasta man haircut. Really, the WAD isn't even worth looking at, just stick with regular Doom. ONE thing this set did that I somewhat enjoyed was, if you shot an ammo pickup for a singular rocket, it would explode after two hits or so, causing damage like a barrel, or, get this: a rocket explosion.

Fonze said:

Lol must've been good timing on that screenshot, it does to me.

It's not timing. When you shoot a barrel, it explodes, and stops on that frame

Fonze said:

At first I thought you were about to suggest that the author made monsters that would die and get back up and continue fighting. That shit would be sweet ^^

No, because that would make the WAD GOOD

rf` said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/demise_6-22-99.zip

Actually It was first made in 1996-1997 but this is the earliest version I could still find. E2M8 and not enough ammo to actually beat it. Note: I was probably around 9-10 when I made this.

... There are so many things wrong with this. First of all, It's E2M8. Out of all the maps, why E2M8? I almost skipped over this because when I checked the Doom episodes and Doom II, I was taken to default maps. Even I knew, with my first wad, MY map should be what comes up first. Secondly, you can't even complete it without using the automap, because most of the doors are the same texture as the wall, with flush offsets... Really? I mean, look at this!

This isn't even a secret area, this is a main area in the map, you HAVE to go here... Come on people...

https://www.mediafire.com/?zzslnbi6pd9k4ff

Don't be too gentle. No lube required.

You need brutal doom for the level the play out the way it's intended to play out. You'll have to look for things, albeit not very hard. Took me about a week.

Constructive criticism is very welcome.

EDIT: Uses doom2 as the iwad, forgot to mention that.

I'm not sure if this counts or if anyone wants to play a Heretic map, but most of it was completed and before I moved onto DooM mapping, and it gathered dust for about a year... and the finale was actually done on the first night of playing with Doom Builder (although brushed up a bit for release). :P

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/serpents.zip

[MAG]Nathan said:

I try to load it, but every texture is missing for me.

It is because it's not compatible with DOOM , it's for SRB2

[MAG]Nathan said:

You need brutal doom for the level the play out the way it's intended to play out. You'll have to look for things, albeit not very hard. Took me about a week.

I just got off work, so when I'm done with this, you're going to get it ROYAL

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Eeeehhhh... Sonic in Doom... I'm not even going to touch that.

[MAG]Nathan said:

First and foremost, I don't need ANOTHER copy of Brutal Doom, so thanks for unnecessarily increasing the download time. Secondly, you never specified which Doom it was for, so it was sheer luck that ZDoom was set to Doom II. Next, why can't I just open a goddamn door? The first three or four doors are switch-operated, with the switches not at all far from the door, and the second door closes almost as soon as it opens. Ammo is way too goddamn sparse. All I got was the starting rifle, and a Super Shotgun I found, no extra ammo for it, just two shots. I ended up running out of ammo fighting your Axe zombies, which reward no ammo, and had to actually go Mike Tyson on one of 'em. Then, I open a door to find no ammo, but a Hell Knight, at which point I said "Fuck it."

LanHikariDS said:

First and foremost, I don't need ANOTHER copy of Brutal Doom, so thanks for unnecessarily increasing the download time. Secondly, you never specified which Doom it was for, so it was sheer luck that ZDoom was set to Doom II. Next, why can't I just open a goddamn door? The first three or four doors are switch-operated, with the switches not at all far from the door, and the second door closes almost as soon as it opens. Ammo is way too goddamn sparse. All I got was the starting rifle, and a Super Shotgun I found, no extra ammo for it, just two shots. I ended up running out of ammo fighting your Axe zombies, which reward no ammo, and had to actually go Mike Tyson on one of 'em. Then, I open a door to find no ammo, but a Hell Knight, at which point I said "Fuck it."

1. Not every has or plays with brutal. Figured better safe than sorry. I have a feeling the download went fine, but I leave it out next time.

2. Definitely my bad.

3. Use your imagination. The door is only meant to be opened by the guy behind the desk. Not a terribly tough concept to grasp. As with most of the doors for the level. I said you'd have to look for things. The door is meant to be quick. The idea is to force you into making a quick decision, though I probably could think of a more creative way to implement that concept. So thanks for pointing that out.

4. That's all your supposed to get. Another bad of mine. It's supposed to be hard. If it works the way I want it to, you should end the level with no ammo, and little health.

5. It's actually weaker than a hellknight, and has no projectile. It shouldn't be that hard. And if it is, fuck him, head for the exit. If it means anything, he's meant to be form of foreshadowing. In the next few levels, you'll face nothing near his difficulty. But, the player should know big fuckers are going to exist.

So couple questions. Did you get the armor?

And something you may have noticed, I was going for a good bit of ambience. As soon as you see that pool of blood by the first switch, you should know that shit's fucked. That mixed with the flickering lights. Did I get the point across with what I did? If I didn't, any ideas on how to improve the idea?