Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Carny Goat

Doom95 Windows 10 Issue

While it worked perfectly with a few tweaks on Windows 7 pro 64bit. Windows 10 is presenting me with some new problems likely familiar to Windows 8.1 users. Does anyone know how to get Doom95 working properly if the error code is giving me red flags over "Unable to access video card" (Error 100)? And please. Do not suggest using a different port. I keep a library of many ports accessible for historical purposes. Keeping most of them running properly is my hobby. Because I say Windows 8.1 users can likely solve this is because the OS isn't terribly different from that interface.

Again, out of bounds to suggest using another port. Again, historical reasons and upkeep of my library of Doom engines and mods designed for them. Thanks for reading!

scifista42 said:

What about Windows 98 virtual machine?

Unfortunately that would be a lot of unnecessary effort for a single port. This isn't as easy as configuring dosbox as VMs are rather corruption prone. I've had plenty of bad experiences with them. So VMs are out of the question. Application extensions and new DLLs are welcome though as they've been proven to fix application issues.

Carniverous Goat said:

VMs are rather corruption prone. I've had plenty of bad experiences with them. So VMs are out of the question.

Ironic that you are posting this on a forum running on a VM.

I didn't know my post would attract the attention of Linguica one of the benevolent staff of Doomworld. Me a lowly mini-member who only seeks some kind of solution for engine trouble or lost wad on a blue moon, rarely commenting at all on these forums manages to be graced by the presence of one of the head honchos of the Doom domain. Flattery aside, chances are I'm not going to get any simple solutions here. Chances are a solution will show itself in the coming months. Thanks for trying.

Carniverous Goat said:

Chances are a solution will show itself in the coming months. Thanks for trying.

You are aware that Doom 95, as one of the very first DirectX applications heavily depends on obsolete operating system features, right?
It may well be that Windows 10 finally removed some of that obsolete stuff for good, in that case you are out of luck and a VM with an older OS remains your only option.

You can lock the thread yourself, by selecting "Open / Close Thread" in the "Thread Options" box on the bottom right on this page.

I personally think the thread should be kept for future readers, because Graf Zahl's answer sounds like a reasonable response to the original question, in case somebody else will ever look for something similar.