Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Site and/or forum bugs or things not working

The 'ü' in Lüt still looks like a u-with umlaut; if you see something else the problem is on your side. Tell your browser to use western character encoding for Doomworld.

Gez said:

Tell your browser to use western character encoding for Doomworld.

We still use that shit encoding? Why not UTF8?

What do you expect from 14 year old forum software? The page source doesn't even specify an encoding! What do you think the error comes from...?

The database uses latin1_swedish_ci like your standard MySQL stuff. I assume vBulletin assumes as much too?

Since the switch normal searches are slower, but searches with wildcards are incredibly slow and often even time out.

Mordeth said:

Since the switch normal searches are slower, but searches with wildcards are incredibly slow and often even time out.

Not surprising - database searches need a LOT of horsepower, which this server doesn't have. When I have a shell open I can watch the CPU peg for several seconds when I run a search for a single word against the whole database.

I'm looking into stuff to see what the best solution is - like maybe, you know, the built-in natural language search capabilities of modern MySQL versions. Failing that we could run a secondary server that handles searching, which is of course a more "proper" solution but seems like overkill.

SELECT * FROM post WHERE MATCH (pagetext) AGAINST ('mordeth');

Showing rows 0 - 29 ( 2,292 total, Query took 0.0066 sec)

That's somewhat better...

edit clearly this is not reliable:

SELECT * FROM post WHERE MATCH (pagetext) AGAINST ('+mordeth +released +"episode 2"' IN boolean MODE)

Showing rows 0 - 7 ( 8 total, Query took 0.0147 sec)

joe-ilya said:

No, that russian symbol used to be a letter "u" but with 2 dots on top.

Haha, yes, it displayed Lьt instead of Lüt. I laughed a lot because ь is not a sound in Russian and Lьt sounds really weird.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Getting database errors when I try to go to a different page of larger threads, including this one.

Works fine!!

I notice that email notifications of new posts in subscribed threads are stated as being from a 'www-data'.

rdwpa said:

How do people lock their own threads?

Click on Thread Options (in the bottom-right corner), select "Open/Close Thread" and hit GO.

I've just noticed a little oddity with the newpost icon, whereby it remains beside some visited and subsequently updated threads for several days, I suppose waiting for me to re-visit. Is that expected behavior?

So do oddities with the archive frontend count?

Cuz I used the term "based off of" in the description of a file I uploaded and something went horribly wrong and now every bit of text after that point is displayed in the "Base:" section.

The Linguica account is making spectre posts in Doom Editing.

It keeps showing you as the last poster*, yet there's never an actual post there when I actually open the sub.

*See:

Are email notifications of replies to subscribed threads broken at the moment? I don't appear to be getting any.

Vermil said:

Are email notifications of replies to subscribed threads broken at the moment? I don't appear to be getting any.

I disabled it for the moment because it seems like there's no way to subscribe to a thread and NOT get emails about it, which is unacceptable.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

This message appears on many Doomworld hosted websited, such as Ricrob's Place or Eternity. Is there any chance to salvage them?

printz said:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

This message appears on many Doomworld hosted websited, such as Ricrob's Place or Eternity. Is there any chance to salvage them?

Those appear where there was CGI includes and so forth, and there's no chance we're gonna reenable CGI.

ClumsyDoomer said:

Haha, yes, it displayed Lьt instead of Lüt. I laughed a lot because ь is not a sound in Russian and Lьt sounds really weird.

That's the thing, I have it fixed now. ь