Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Would a wiki-like level editor be possible?

Would it be possible to have a web-based Doom engine level editor that exposes a wad in progress for anyone to edit? I'd surely love this, because I don't have enough inspiration and willingness to complete an entire level, but I can do little things and then leave it for others to continue or add on it. All with no need of coordination/project management. An edit history would be necessary to revert bad changes.

I like the concept. I would add that every map/project should have a possibility to use some kind of access and/or editing protection. The original map starter would act like the project manager. He could set permissions to view and (separately) to edit the map, either to public, or to a private group (selected people based on invitation). He should also be able to revert any edits made by other people (private or public), and possibly ban particular people from editing the map (private or even public). I suggest this because I think it's safe to assume that map starters who actually want to use the system in good will, will actually approach their management responsibly.

scifista42 said:

I like the concept. I would add that every map/project should have a possibility to use some kind of access and/or editing protection. The original map starter would act like the project manager. He could set permissions to view and (separately) to edit the map, either to public, or to a private group (selected people based on invitation). He should also be able to revert any edits made by other people (private or public), and possibly ban particular people from editing the map (private or even public). I suggest this because I think it's safe to assume that map starters who actually want to use the system in good will, will actually approach their management responsibly.

I'd suggest something like GitHub repositories. Levels have owners who can merge changes or not, but anyone can fork.

boris said:

At least the web-based part is perfectly possible.

Where is that? Is it interactive, or merely a vector snapshot of a level? Is it open source; are you willing to share the code? :)

It is interactive, panning and zooming works. Right now the only mode is sectors mode, but editing doesn't work at all, yet. Of course the goal is to make editing possible, the cool part about it will be that it also works on mobile devices.
It will eventually end up on my Github repository.

I know this is a super long-shot but are there any plans to perhaps include a 3D mode using WebGL or some other web-based rendering?

Jon said:

I'd suggest something like GitHub repositories. Levels have owners who can merge changes or not, but anyone can fork.

Surely it can't be too esoteric to write something that performs a diff-based merge on wads?

Altazimuth said:

I know this is a super long-shot but are there any plans to perhaps include a 3D mode using WebGL or some other web-based rendering?

It's already using WebGL for the 2D part. It's just so much faster than the 2D canvas. A 3D mode would be great, but I don't really know too much about 3D programming.

meapineapple said:

Surely it can't be too esoteric to write something that performs a diff-based merge on wads?

What would help a lot would be a nice text-based map description format. I guess doomed or wadc's formats qualify, but I think there's scope for more. I was mentally designing one for an ide a few years back that had support for layers, which I think would be conceptually very useful for advanced map editing, but didn't pursue it further. (Greetings from Croatia!)