How rare do you believe the Original DOOM 5.25  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How rare do you believe the Original DOOM 5.25

• Common
    • Uncommon
    • Rare
    • Very Rare
    • Extremely Rare

Hello Doomworld members. First of all I checked the FAQ and did not see anything against posting eBay links, so I hope my post is allowed/appreciated :).

I just wanted to let you guys know about the DOOM 1 5.25" v1.1 floppy Mail Order lot that I have up for auction on eBay, in case you might be interested.
From my understanding this version and format are extremely rare. 3.5" and CD versions are much more common respectively. Wolfenstein, DOOM II and add-ons are also in the lot.

I grew up with Wolfenstein 3-D when it was fairly new and it completely changed my perception of computer games. DOOM obviously took it to the next level and things changed forever! The id software
Team were truly amazing.

Also definitely looking forward to the new DOOM. It seems to be so visceral ;).

Anyway, here is the eBay link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOM-1-CIB-LOT-Original-ID-Mail-Order-5-25-Floppies-v1-1-EXTREMELY-RARE-/301695955312?hash=item463e7af170

Thanks guys for reading and for your interest! I look forward to reading any of your comments on this thread and other threads on this forum!

P.S. Going to try to create a poll for the rarity of this DOOM 1. 5 being the rarest.

I got my money on Buckshot winning this, hands down. Curious to see if he bids it up into the 4 digits.

I would be super curious to see if that happens as well. I guess it depends on if Buckshot sees this thread in time. The auction has around 6 hours left at the time of this post. It would be cool if he wins it as he seems to be well respected on Doomworld.

Was a common disk for international (primarily Japanese) orders. Not common to find listed in a US sale, but often found in international auctions, especially from the asia-pacific regions.

Not even sure any US copies were 5.25".

Sorry folks, but already have a like-new open-box signed DOOM mail order copy. I'm waiting for a sealed copy to come along before I bid on this. The rest of the stuff is cool, but already have a signed sealed DOOM 2, and have little interest in the shareware box releases of DOOM or Wolfenstein.

I may have considered it if it was just the 5.25" DOOM set, but the extra fluff he's selling it with is jacking up the price beyond just that item's value alone.

In the mean time, I am going to make sure whoever ends up winning that bid pay dearly for it... going to pop some shots off in the bid to make sure no one walks away with this for less than $500. Just because i'm that kind of prick.

Buckshot said:

In the mean time, I am going to make sure whoever ends up winning that bid pay dearly for it... going to pop some shots off in the bid to make sure no one walks away with this for less than $500. Just because i'm that kind of prick.

What the fuck? Seriously? As a collector of rare vinyl and other collectibles myself, I honestly can't stand people who do this. Not everyone has seemingly unlimited amounts of free spending money like yourself. Would it KILL you to *gasp* have somebody excited and win something they've always wanted for a price they are able to afford? Even if they have all the money in the world, being a prick for the sake of being "that kind of prick" is a complete douche thing to do. But you seem proud of yourself so go ahead. Keep inflating that artificial ego of yours.

Ossi said:

That's a shit thing to do, why be a prick?

It's the principle of the matter.... being a auction. If I bid too much and I win, then, oh well, I gotta pay up.

If not... then I'll happily put a dent in someone else's wallet. And why not? If they want it that badly, then they're gonna pay that price. All is fair in love and war.

..And Ebay.

RUSH said:

What the fuck? Seriously? As a collector of rare vinyl and other collectibles myself, I honestly can't stand people who do this. Not everyone has seemingly unlimited amounts of free spending money like yourself. Would it KILL you to *gasp* have somebody excited and win something they've always wanted for a price they are able to afford? Even if they have all the money in the world, being a prick for the sake of being "that kind of prick" seems like a complete douche thing to do. But you seem proud of yourself so go ahead. Keep inflating that ego of yours.

...you are aware I'm just being a facetious ass, right? ;)

Buckshot said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night...

RUSH said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night...

Heh. Sadly, I can't bid on that right now even if I wanted to. I spent all my cash on a doom reaper pewter set.

BUT... if did have the cash, I say I'd spend about $650 on that 5.25" with bonus stuff set there. I think that'd be a fair price.

Randemonium said:

...he seems to be well respected on Doomworld.

oh my... someone has you fooled :(

EDIT: Also, to anyone else who is interested in buying such stuff (at reasonable prices and not outrageously comical ebay prices), check out the facebook group "Big Box PC Game collectors" on facebook. The folks there trade and sell at very honest prices, such as a DOOM 2 sealed 3.5" box a dude was just selling there for like $60. no joke.

Congrats on snagging that set then! I'm just glad you saw my thread and that you sparked a mini conversation.

As far as jacking up prices, that reminds me of Dave from Storage Wars. Yeeeeeep!

Randemonium said:

Congrats on snagging that set then! I'm just glad you saw my thread and that you sparked a mini conversation.

As far as jacking up prices, that reminds me of Dave from Storage Wars. Yeeeeeep!

Heh, I didn't snag that set. BUT, I thank you for posting it. Neat and uncommon find here in the states! :)

It's got a couple of really unique features to it:
5.25" = rare
v1.1 = extremely rare. Almost all DOOM mail order copies today you can find left are v1.2 and beyond.

I wonder if Dusty Womack (USA's largest collector) or Mahmut Saral (Europes largest collector) have seen this. they're the biggest DOOM collectors on the planet. I, myself, have a very nice DOOM collection, but not anywhere near the largest, and while I do focus a lot on DOOM in my collection... it also focuses on a lot of id softwares legacy games, where as Dusty and Mahmut focus almost solely on DOOM. I'll message them to see if they have interest.

Buckshot said:

then I'll happily put a dent in someone else's wallet. And why not? If they want it that badly, then they're gonna pay that price. All is fair in love and war.
..And Ebay.

Well it isn't, it artificially increases the price regardless if the person can pay the increase or not, and just because you feel like it? That's a shit thing to do to your fellow collectors.

That kind of reasoning is universally looked down upon by most if not all of us in the Big Box PC Game Collectors group you speak so highly about.

Ossi said:

Well it isn't, it artificially increases the price regardless if the person can pay the increase or not, and just because you feel like it? That's a shit thing to do to your fellow collectors.

That kind of reasoning is universally looked down upon by most if not all of us in the Big Box PC Game Collectors group you speak so highly about.

I 100% agree with you. I frown upon it myself.

Of course, it's not uncommon that I've had to pay (many times) ridiculous prices on things just to get them from ebay. Sometimes I think that place does more harm than good to collectors. Though that is the point of it I guess... sellers looking to make artificial prices on such things. As much bang for the buck as they can. If you're on ebay looking for such things at anything expecting less than some ridiculously overinflated price to begin with, it's probably not gonna work out too well :/

Thanks for messaging them in case they are interested. That's cool of you.

As far as artificial price increasing, it does kind of suck to see a price that is higher than expected as a buyer/bidder. But it's something that happens frequently it seems.

I just hope that the person that wins the auction will truly be satisfied with their purchase decision.

Buckshot said:

Was a common disk for international (primarily Japanese) orders. Not common to find listed in a US sale, but often found in international auctions, especially from the asia-pacific regions.

Not even sure any US copies were 5.25".

I managed to secure the Japanese floppies (3.5" & 5.25") a couple of years ago. Imagineer probably used the same disk images for both formats, since the 3.5" disks have a formatted capacity of 1.2MB. Boxed copies of Doom from Manaccom (the Australian distributor) contained a "Request for 5.25" disks" form, though I've yet to see a set of disks. I've only seen a few photos of 5.25" mail order disks, they seem to be almost as rare as the disks themselves.

v1.1 = extremely rare. Almost all DOOM mail order copies today you can find left are v1.2 and beyond.

Purchased this set from a collector in Finland, who I think obtained them from the original owner in Ohio, so they've probably visited more continents than Hissy.

Buckshot said:

How was that even remotely self-evident? You can't just go around saying shit like that without any visible irony and expect people not to take it literally.

I just want to point out that the logo for the new Doom:

was predicted 22 years in advance by the original game's floppies:

and honestly I think the 1994 version of the monochromatic logo works much better.

Sodaholic said:

How was that even remotely self-evident? You can't just go around saying shit like that without any visible irony and expect people not to take it literally.

Heh.. I figured it get a few panties in a bunch.

Though some here get my dry sarcasm. Others not so much. Depends on how long you've known me I guess.

in some of my past posts about collectors stuff and people ripping people off on ebay prices (and other sites) it's clearly obvious I oppose (1) people who hoarde (2) people who price gouge, and (3) people who inflate directly or by proxy.

Linguica said:

I just want to point out that the logo for the new Doom:

http://i.imgur.com/eUs466h.png

was predicted 22 years in advance by the original game's floppies:

http://i.imgur.com/6Yv3M4T.png

and honestly I think the 1994 version of the monochromatic logo works much better.

Noticed that myself and wonder if it had any role with the new design. Doubt it... but then again, some of the current Id dev team have pictures of the original doom disks with that logo as their Facebook cover photo.

such as this doom 4 level designer:

I wish people would stop pricing those things so ludicrously... I really would love to get one, but my funds are very limited, especially at the moment.

Linguica said:

I just want to point out that the logo for the new Doom...

Yeah, but the new one has that very flat Windows 8.1 Icon look to it that seems to be that thing these days. :/

MFG38 said:

I wish people would stop pricing those things so ludicrously... I really would love to get one, but my funds are very limited, especially at the moment.

I hear you but the problem is as soon as you have people prepared to pay the ludicrous price it (kind of) stops being ludicrous. i.e. things are worth what people are willing to pay. If there are people willing to pay ludicrous prices, then that's what the item is worth and that becomes the going price. :/

Ossi said:

Not just that, but this kind of troll bidding could easily be reported and get you fined, kicked off eBay, what have you. Not saying it will actually happen, but as pointed out before, if people didn't know your tone in what you said and the price was artificially spiked up just to give other people a hard time, your open admission could be used against you. This kind of shit isn't tolerated in several sales forums, for good reason; the guy would get banned and labelled as person to avoid.

Buckshot said:

... And why not? If they want it that badly, then they're gonna pay that price. All is fair in love and war.

I don't know if that sentiment is also sarcastic, but no that's not how it works. They wouldn't be paying that much if one doesn't artificially inflate the price just because of his/her perceived value of the item. If the winning bid is extremely low, that's what it should sell for. Don't get me wrong, this happens all the time on eBay. Doesn't mean it's permitted, it's just that these trolls hardly ever get caught.

buttspit said:

Not just that, but this kind of troll bidding could easily be reported and get you fined, kicked off eBay, what have you. Not saying it will actually happen, but as pointed out before, if people didn't know your tone in what you said and the price was artificially spiked up just to give other people a hard time, your open admission could be used against you. This kind of shit isn't tolerated in several sales forums, for good reason; the guy would get banned and labelled as person to avoid.

I don't know if that sentiment is also sarcastic, but no that's not how it works. They wouldn't be paying that much if one doesn't artificially inflate the price just because of his/her perceived value of the item. If the winning bid is extremely low, that's what it should sell for. Don't get me wrong, this happens all the time on eBay. Doesn't mean it's permitted, it's just that these trolls hardly ever get caught.

You don't know what you are talking about, do you? That's not at all what ebay would do, lol. They actually encourage it because it's more money in their pocket the higher an item sells. In fact... that's what an auctions all about.

As long as anyone bidding has the money to pay... eBay doesn't give a shit what you bid.

Ebay is a war of the wallets. There's no other way to define it. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT A AUCTION IS. yes it sucks. yes it's not fair. but don't shit on people who have bigger wallets than YOU.

Everything I bid on, whether I really want it, kind of want it, don't really want it but have slight interest... if I bid, I go in knowing that I'm going to have to pay (and I do.)

I go in knowing a lot of other people WANT that item, too. But if I *REALLY* want it, I'll make sure no one else can outbid me by setting some ridiculously high bid because I'm willing to take the risk to get it. There's nothing wrong with that. I want it, and I have the money to pay for it. That's the point. I'm no fan of ebay, but it does come to that more often than not on stuff I cant find anywhere else... just because you've got so many other folks trying to snipe or think they've got the the means to pay too. Like I said, it's a war of the wallets.

NOW, you are correct in one thing... they do care about people fake bidding or having friends bid on their own auction to inflate the price. That WILL get you kicked off ebay if they catch you bidding to inflate and not paying up.

If eBay auctions exceed your budget, there are far better alternatives... such as the previously mentioned facebook trading/selling groups, reddit groups, trading/selling forums, and even ebay al;ternatives like bonanaza (very very good resource) and ebid (also very good).

Buckshot said:

You don't know what you are talking about, do you? That's not at all what ebay would do, lol. They actually encourage it because it's more money in their pocket the higher an item sells. In fact... that's what an auctions all about.

As long as anyone bidding has the money to pay... eBay doesn't give a shit what you bid.

Ebay is a war of the wallets. There's no other way to define it. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT A AUCTION IS. yes it sucks. yes it's not fair. but don't shit on people who have bigger wallets than YOU.

NOW, they do care about people fake bidding or having friends bid on their own auction to inflate the price. That WILL get you kicked off ebay if they catch you bidding to inflate and not paying up.

I don't know what I'm talking about, and yet you clearly don't even fully understand shill bidding and encourage artificially inflating prices. How is the shill bidder expected to "pay up" if he's not the one trying to win the auction? The point of shill bidding is to drive up the value artificially for a friend/family/contact with the intent of making someone else pay much more for the item. What you're doing is artificially inflating the price with the intent of having the item sell for some price that YOU feel the item should sell for.

You did say that you'd pay for the item IF you won it, I don't have a problem with that. But you also said you're not really looking to win this listing and if someone else were to win it, you'd force them to pay a certain large amount. There's the problem.

People have faced repercussions for the exact things you claim are permitted; try frequenting other forums/communities where sales are a big element.

Your definition of an auction has no mention of people jacking up prices for no reasons other than to give others a hard time. And no, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere in my post calling out your dick moves did I bring up your wallet being bigger than mine. I really couldn't care less how much money you had and what you spend it on.

buttspit said:

You did say that you'd pay for the item IF you won it, I don't have a problem with that. But you also said you're not really looking to win this listing and if someone else were to win it, you'd force them to pay a certain large amount. There's the problem.

I've already stated I actually did not bid on that item, and was just making sarcastic humor. I only bid if I intend to buy.

Perhaps you misunderstand my level of facetious sarcasm and dry humor.

Don't worry... it's not the first time:

http://www.fark.com/comments/6150919/Fake-tornado-determined-to-have-done-no-damage-Well-thats-a-relief

http://archive.cincinnati.com/article/20110428/NEWS01/104290330/Fake-tornado-pics-were-misunderstanding-

http://www.fox19.com/story/14525138/photo-of-eastgate-tornado-determined-to-be-fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxNYCCfx70g

I'm fully aware of what you said; it has more to do with some of the later things. That includes where you blurred the line between facetious and serious in your defense of what essentially amounts to the same outcome as from shilling, which doesn't qualify as your war of wallets. Kind of ironic you take exception to people who grill you for your large wallet.

Definitely not a fan of the new windows design that has sweeped the nation. And the minimalist/boring stylized of most things... It is interesting that id is going back to their roots though.

The auction ended at a fairly high amount. It could have possibly hit $1000 if interested parties didn't already have a similar rendition of the game :). The buyer hasn't responded to my congrats message yet so I'm not sure if they are a collector or reseller. Hopefully collector and liver of all things Doom.

Thanks for voting on the poll guys. And for voicing your opinions.

buttspit said:

I'm fully aware of what you said; it has more to do with some of the later things. That includes where you blurred the line between facetious and serious in your defense of what essentially amounts to the same outcome as from shilling, which doesn't qualify as your war of wallets. Kind of ironic you take exception to people who grill you for your large wallet.

I get what you're saying... shillers aren't always the seller (or someone related in some way to the seller.) There are shill bidders too who bid only to misfortune the other legitimate bidders.

By implying self-cynicism to that, I thought it was obviously clear (on the account I've made prior comments completely opposing it, much less made many recent sales, giveaways, etc here and on the dw facebook group which completley contradicts me being a shill bidder) that I was being facetious.

APPARENTLY that's not the case... and people took it way too personally (which I notice tends to be all too frequent)
If I pissed you or anyone else here off... my sincere apologies.

And my wallet is not a very big one. I read too much into your first post and thought you were lashing out at other bidders with excessive amounts of cash on ebay, just as you have misintreputed my obviously piss poor humor.