Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Camaxide

Where to release big wad's?

GreyGhost said:

MediaFire works well enough for me as a file host and their data retention policy is quite reasonable, though they sometimes resort to using CAPTCHA.

Personally it throws up far too many advertisements for my taste, not to mention the times the download decides to just not work every now and again.

Camaxide said:

I see many people say they are on low bandwidth - so I guess I will consider a lossy format as an alternative for those who cant get the full thing. I thought Norway was lagging behind in the broadband thing, but seem I was wrong on that.

I suspect that it would be more accurate to say that you are on high bandwidth. My guess is that there are far more people on "low" bandwidth than you think. Perhaps it won't be long until speeds like 25MB/s are the norm but we're not there yet. I'm certainly not. It will be cities first, then towns, then rural areas then the poor saps who live in places where cable companies (etc) don't give a damn because there aren't enough people to make laying a cable commercially viable (i.e. like where I live).

Making an optional "lossy" format music download is a sensible way forward. As others have said, with all the other game noise going on, I expect that the quality drop between FLAC and OGG/MP3/Whatever will not be hugely noticeable to most players anyway.

Enjay said:

It will be cities first, then towns, then rural areas then the poor saps who live in places where cable companies (etc) don't give a damn because there aren't enough people to make laying a cable commercially viable (i.e. like where I live).

Same here, I'm only a 30 mile straight line away from the CN tower in Toronto, but the only internet options out here are microwave internet (0-80 KB/s tops) or wireless internet (faster, but stupidly expensive for data use).

Downloading 1GB in 5 mins would mean 3+ MB/s. Where are those speeds available and how much does that cost?

Camaxide said:

Anyone who likes good sound-quality will appreciate the lossless music :)
However, all music is in a separate wad and don't have to be downloaded or loaded to run the chapters, fitting default doom-music will play instead for each map if the music wad isn't loaded.. :) So for those who either are still stuck on a 56k modem, have filled all their gigs, or are on a per-mb deal (I really hope no one is by 2015) there is always the chance to just skip that part altogether, but not recommended :)

1Gb Is a 5min download on a 25Mb broadband.. and flac is well worth the quality improvement over lossy mp3-files. with most people also sitting on a few TB of disk-space I don't see how it could be much of a problem with size.. counting 0.1% of a single Tb.

You're just saying fuck you to Australia. I hate to break it to you but nobody will download your wad if it's 1GB. Standard megawads are usually only a couple of megabytes with no custom assets, possibly even less than 1MB if the maps are small. Even Vanilla Doom 2 is 18MB or something tiny.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback :)
I actually lived in Sydney myself for 6 months, and had to pay for a set amount of Mb - but I thought that was because I lived in a student house with 24 people sharing the internet.

I will hear you all out and highly consider a version of the music wad with compressed music. But for those who want a small as possible version that would be without custom music, which would still play well.

Either way the high quality file will anyway be available for download for those who wants that.

Norway is a difficult country for infra structure with lots of mountains and fjords - so I imagined more populated areas would have better lines, but then again we are few people here to share bandwidth - so I guess it goes both ways :)

Thanks again for the feedback both on size, and on possible web-sites to upload to. :)

And about the Fiber - at least where I live I'm on the cheapest (slowest fiber) with 25, the others are 50 and 100 up/down. How does online gaming work for those on the slow lines? Does it hurt latency as well, or just bandwidth?

Fiber optic is like £50 a month if you don't want to get their phone line packages too so fuck that. It also shouldn't hurt latency. I'm on standard 1MB/s non-fiber internet and it's fine.

SavageCorona said:

Fiber optic is like £50 a month...

Which I'd gladly pay. I'm on £49 per month for a private microwave link because BT refuse to put anything near our village other than the bare minimum legal requirement of an 7-8 mile long shitty copper wire that allows us to get a "service" that complies with the "minimum standard for telephony" (i.e. a quiet, crackly line that is just clear enough to hear someone's voice and no more).

Camaxide said:

How does online gaming work for those on the slow lines? Does it hurt latency as well, or just bandwidth?

Here's my internet speed as it stands currently.

Don't be fooled by my ping here. Virtually all the online gaming I do is on ZDaemon Thursday Night Survival, which is on a server in Germany. The norm is 60-80, but any other bandwidth use will see my ping shoot up to anything between 400 and 7000. Which wouldn't be a problem if I lived alone :P

Also, the last thing I uploaded to Youtube was a 3-minute piece of music, that took longer to upload (250MB, nearly 10 hours) than it took to do the music from scratch and make the video. Gotta love rural internet :)

Eris Falling said:

Here's my internet speed as it stands currently. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4549865856

Don't be fooled by my ping here. Virtually all the online gaming I do is on ZDaemon Thursday Night Survival, which is on a server in Germany. The norm is 60-80, but any other bandwidth use will see my ping shoot up to anything between 400 and 7000. Which wouldn't be a problem if I lived alone :P

Also, the last thing I uploaded to Youtube was a 3-minute piece of music, that took longer to upload (250MB, nearly 10 hours) than it took to do the music from scratch and make the video. Gotta love rural internet :)

I feel your pain.

Eris Falling said:

Here's my internet speed as it stands currently. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4549865856

Ouch - at least it says it's worse than 97% of GB meaning it should be far from the standard there.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4550341995

This is how mine shows - dunno why I get poor result for upload now - its usually the same as my DL. But in context to your result I don't really feel like complaining about that.

And about the 50 a month.. that's what I pay for mine.. isn't that a regular price for a fiber?? I know I'd gladly pay it any day for a good reliable fiber connection.

Enjay said:

Which I'd gladly pay. I'm on £49 per month for a private microwave link because BT refuse to put anything near our village other than the bare minimum legal requirement of an 7-8 mile long shitty copper wire that allows us to get a "service" that complies with the "minimum standard for telephony" (i.e. a quiet, crackly line that is just clear enough to hear someone's voice and no more).

Virgin Media tends to be better if you're down in the south west.

Unfortunately, here there is no option. There is a single copper 'phone cable that comes into the village and it's a BT cable attached to the BT exchange about 8 miles away. No cable TV, no fibre, no other options. That's it. We may be able to drive to Aberdeen Airport (once the busiest heliport in the world) in a matter of minutes from my house (I can almost see the runway from here) but, by the way the infrastructure was built up, that single cable is the only option and it's unlikely to change any time soon.

Even if you ditch BT entirely and take your contract, including line rental, out with another provider (such as Virgin) then you are still going to be connected through that piss-poor cable. You may pay your rental to Virgin, but they simply sub-let the cable from BT.

The only reason we can get better-than-narrowband Internet is because one of the people who live here spent a great deal of time, effort and personal money raising funds and support for the microwave link. A sender unit in Aberdeen (owned by our private system) beams a signal to a post on top of a nearby hill in a farmer's field which then relays the signal to another post in the village which distributes the signal around the various houses who have signed up for the scheme (each of which has to have a special receiver on the house). The system is good and it works but it won't take long before other technology overtakes it and we don't have the money to upgrade the system (the original installation took 100s of thousands of £s). Also, the system isn't supported by a big multinational organisation so if there is a major problem with it or a massive hardware failure, I suspect that will be then end of it and we'll be back in the dark ages.

Anyway, this is all off-topicness. Sorry Camaxide.