Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM RETRO v1.8 Released

DOOM RETRO v1.8 has been released. This is a major release with a significant amount of changes, the most important of which is BOOM compatibility. Visit the website to check out the release notes and to download.

Great release! It'd be great if we could get a Linux release, although some code changes need to be done...

Well, this is a decent release. I'd like it if there was a way to configure your setting ingame instead of having to edit the .cfg file, but I have to admit though, those Build Engine like shadows on sprites look cool.

Csonicgo said:

Great release! It'd be great if we could get a Linux release, although some code changes need to be done...

Could you please submit a pull request with the changes?

Breezeep said:

Well, this is a decent release. I'd like it if there was a way to configure your setting ingame instead of having to edit the .cfg file, but I have to admit though, those Build Engine like shadows on sprites look cool.

Also:
<Linguica>http://i.imgur.com/k1LXexv.gifWHY DOES DOOM RETRO DO THIS
<Linguica> also why the fuck is the weapon sprite darker

There's a console to configure settings. Press the ~ key. Enter cmdlist and cvarlist for lists of commands and cvars.

And to address Linguica's exclamations:
- Pressing "+" to increase the screen size switches to widescreen mode. But in a window, the actual window itself isn't resized, so it just fills the window horizontally.
- The player's weapon is slightly darker so as to allow its lighting to change more distinctly depending on the lighting of the sector the player is currently in. In E1M1 for example, move onto/off of the fucking blue carpet, and in the flashing doorway at the player start.
- As for whatever's happening in the vid: I'll look into it. Thanks. I tested various Boom compatible wads before release (Freedoom, Valiant, Sunlust, for example), and they all worked fine.

Just tested this out with Valiant - it's cool to see another port supporting some MBF features. The more ports run my wad the happier I am! That being said, in a few minutes of testing I've found several problems:

-Suicide bombers tend to spawn a ton of dying marines when you kill them. This happens especially often when using hitscan weapons, I think.
-The final boss, ghost revenant, and ghost archvile monsters seem to have tiny hitboxes. Rockets and plasma frequently appear to go right through them.
-The blood and gore on the super mancubus sprite is green on his corpse/death animation?
-The arachnotron/arachnorb plasma sprite 'bounces' up and down as it flies

There may be more issues but this is what I was able to find in a few minutes. Thanks :D

skillsaw said:

Just tested this out with Valiant - it's cool to see another port supporting some MBF features. The more ports run my wad the happier I am! That being said, in a few minutes of testing I've found several problems:

-Suicide bombers tend to spawn a ton of dying marines when you kill them. This happens especially often when using hitscan weapons, I think.
-The final boss, ghost revenant, and ghost archvile monsters seem to have tiny hitboxes. Rockets and plasma frequently appear to go right through them.
-The blood and gore on the super mancubus sprite is green on his corpse/death animation?
-The arachnotron/arachnorb plasma sprite 'bounces' up and down as it flies

There may be more issues but this is what I was able to find in a few minutes. Thanks :D

Thanks for these. I was aware of the suicide bomber issue, but not the others. I'll look into them straight away.

Great work with the release!

dieoff said:

GZDoom with Smooth Doom/Brutal Doom is better.

Heks said:

There's a "I hope you follow your name-sake real soon" joke here

Let's not make everything about Brutal Doom, jesus. Doom Retro is the opposite of Brutal Doom.

The reason I like Doom Retro is because it is a no hassle way to have some old school gameplay and aesthetics without the annoyances and unnecessary complexities of other modern source ports.

It reminds me of Romero commenting about Doom's diminishing lighting "it makes any map look scary'. That's how Doom Retro feels for me, you plug a map in it and it's scary and gritty.

I think I've grown tired of hardware renderers, the lighting isn't faithful, not even Gzdoom with that new shader based one, you can see too easily :-D

I tried but gave up on prboom-plus because it has infinitely tall actors. All that clusterfuck of options and it's missing that? It never gets stable releases either.

VGA said:

Let's not make everything about Brutal Doom, jesus. Doom Retro is the opposite of Brutal Doom.

The reason I like Doom Retro is because it is a no hassle way to have some old school gameplay and aesthetics without the annoyances and unnecessary complexities of other modern source ports.

It reminds me of Romero commenting about Doom's diminishing lighting "it makes any map look scary'. That's how Doom Retro feels for me, you plug a map in it and it's scary and gritty.

I think I've grown tired of hardware renderers, the lighting isn't faithful, not even Gzdoom with that new shader based one, you can see too easily :-D

I tried but gave up on prboom-plus because it has infinitely tall actors. All that clusterfuck of options and it's missing that? It never gets stable releases either.

I know, everyone has to put Brutal DOOM Into everything and I do not know why what-so-ever. I guess It really Is being praised like a God Damn God.

Tritnew said:

Don't be too critical

You're right. It's totally a bad idea to let the author know of a WAD that is broken in his source port. Getting it fixed is a terrible idea.

GooberMan said:

You're right. It's totally a bad idea to let the author know of a WAD that is broken in his source port. Getting it fixed is a terrible idea.

Meant to say It to the person mentioning Smooth DOOM and Brutal DOOM, saying It was better. The Source Port does need to get fixed by adding a more simple options similar to BOOM.