Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Yahtzee judges Doom by its cover

I dearly hope someone draws the Doomguy with an oven embedded in his chest. Maybe Slax over at the ZDoom forums. :P

A great example of why I dislike these so-called internet celebrities. They're just not very good - and Yahtzee has no excuse because he's been doing it (and writing, reporting and gaming) for some time now. I have no idea why anyone listens to him.

Aside for his horrible, self-congratulatory, smug sounding voice (which I don't suppose there is much he can do about), the content was stale, unfunny, unoriginal and dull. Also, while I don't suppose there was much that was actually incorrect in what he said, much of it did come across as lazy (wilfully ignoring or misinterpreting stuff for "teh funny" (i.e. not funny)), incomplete or just woolly enough to feel inaccurate.

Most of his (often laboured) technical points or points about illogicality can easily be explained or dismissed. (Ooooh, side pipes on his helmet - like most respirators don't have a separate exhale valve). And it went downhill from there with the points and presentation becoming increasingly puerile. By the time he was wiggling the picture and putting on silly voices (or just modulating his own silly voice slightly) it was like watching a video made by a child, not a very gifted child at that. Ironic really because the way he described the blurb on the box was pretty much how I was feeling about the previous 4 minutes or so of his content that I had just watched.

In short, classic Yahtzee: dull amateurish and a bit shit. I wouldn't say the video was bad enough to give me cancer, but I could feel my IQ dropping as I watched it.

Enjay said:

A great example of why I dislike these so-called internet celebrities. They're just not very good - and Yahtzee has no excuse because he's been doing it (and writing, reporting and gaming) for some time now. I have no idea why anyone listens to him.

Aside for his horrible, self-congratulatory, smug sounding voice (which I don't suppose there is much he can do about), the content was stale, unfunny, unoriginal and dull. Also, while I don't suppose there was much that was actually incorrect in what he said, much of it did come across as lazy (wilfully ignoring or misinterpreting stuff for "teh funny" (i.e. not funny)), incomplete or just woolly enough to feel inaccurate.

Most of his (often laboured) technical points or points about illogicality can easily be explained or dismissed. (Ooooh, side pipes on his helmet - like most respirators don't have a separate exhale valve). And it went downhill from there with the points and presentation becoming increasingly puerile. By the time he was wiggling the picture and putting on silly voices (or just modulating his own silly voice slightly) it was like watching a video made by a child, not a very gifted child at that. Ironic really because the way he described the blurb on the box was pretty much how I was feeling about the previous 4 minutes or so of his content that I had just watched.

In short, classic Yahtzee: dull amateurish and a bit shit. I wouldn't say the video was bad enough to give me cancer, but I could feel my IQ dropping as I watched it.

...I thought the part where he drew a tophat and a mustache on the Lost Soul was funny. Should be a mod.

Eh, I don't think it's terrible. Sure, it's pretty flat, but I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. I think his comments were supposed to be stupid, the humor being in how inane it all was. Like self-deprecation kind of humor, not "what I'm saying is actually funny" humor.

Maybe I'm full of shit.

ducon said:

Where is the text? I want text, not a video.

He was scrolling all over the place and drawing on it, a direct transcript would not be sufficient.

Sodaholic said:

Eh, I don't think it's terrible. Sure, it's pretty flat, but I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. I think his comments were supposed to be stupid, the humor being in how inane it all was. Like self-deprecation kind of humor, not "what I'm saying is actually funny" humor.

No, I agree. It's meant to be funny and not serious: I get that. The problem is, for me, it misses the mark and it's not funny, just flat. Typical Yahtzee IMO.

The best observation (IMO) was the "laser-soaked" bit. With some actual presenting style and charisma, that might even have been funny. :P

I'd also suggest that he doesn't judge Doom by the cover, he merely judges the cover of Doom and has very little to say about the game or, rather, what the cover might make him think the game is meant to be like.

I meant that the flatness was part of the humor, mildly amusing in an ironic "this sucks lol" kind of way. But perhaps I'm giving him too much credit and he was being unironic.

Enjay said:

A great example of why I dislike these so-called internet celebrities. They're just not very good - and Yahtzee has no excuse because he's been doing it (and writing, reporting and gaming) for some time now. I have no idea why anyone listens to him....

I've seen his stuff before and I don't find him interesting, but the video I just watched was pretty funny to me. And no offense but I think you're taking it a little to seriously.

Enjay said:

ASK ME ABOUT INTERNET CELEBRITIES

rf` said:

ASK ME ABOUT INTERNET CELEBRITIES

Sorry but he has to be dead or Enjay wont tell you anything about him.

SavageCorona said:

I like the part where they put E3M2 on the shareware box.

With the E1 sky, no less.

Speaking of skies, I always wondered if it was originally a cave level with no visible sky. That it's this way inside the "fingers" and there are hanging corpses off the sky make me think this.

Enjay said:

I'd also suggest that he doesn't judge Doom by the cover, he merely judges the cover of Doom and has very little to say about the game or, rather, what the cover might make him think the game is meant to be like.

"Don't judge the game by its cover no don't judge just the cover and not the game no judge the game by its cover."

Sodaholic said:

I meant that the flatness was part of the humor, mildly amusing in an ironic "this sucks lol" kind of way. But perhaps I'm giving him too much credit and he was being unironic.

I suspect that is what he was going for. Flat, deadpan delivery can be very, very funny. I just don't think he does it very well.

nxGangrel said:

I think you're taking it a little to seriously.

Nah, outside of this thread, I'm not even giving it a second thought. As soon as I click away, I won't think about it until I visit the forums and spot the thread again.

That was so goddamn stupid I couldn't help but snicker heartily. I love it when shit's just dumb and absurd.

Unfunny guy with absolutely no presence, no timing, no personality and not an ounce of humor yaks over poorly edited video? Why, I've never seen such a thing!

You know, I would say, "Didn't we use to have standards? Didn't we used to demand people have actual talent?", except that Perez Hilton is a thing and Adam Sandler keeps making fucking movies.

You may not like his humor, so he's not funny to you. But he is funny to a lot of people, me included.

And since I'm smart and humorous, it's time to reevaluate yourselves.

fraggle said:

God you people are a miserable bunch. Lighten up.

I've been studying comedy for years. I know amateur hour when I hear it!

GoatLord said:

I've been studying comedy for years. I know amateur hour when I hear it!

hahahahahaha

It's clear he's been running out of ideas and he's been bored for a long time what with him doing 100 different things lately and none of them being any good and zero punctuation being extremely stale.