Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I was on my way to a one week camp, from Alaska to Tennessee for kids who were genetic failures such as myself. I want to say I was 5, so this would have been 1996.

Anyway. The last stop before we got there was a nice ladies house. We were going to spend the night before the last long road trip to camp. She had every game system, and some even had doubles. She had 2 PSX's! But, it was that one computer game she had that got me hooked. And I mean hooked. As soon as the week was over, and I was home, I tried to convince my mother to get it for me. It didn't happen =(

But, that's when and how that happened.

I first started with the shareware version for windows 95 back in 1997. I was about four years old at the time.

IIRC - 1998, shareware Doom in an Amiga source port.

Maes said:

Why 6 floppies? You got it on 5.25" 360 KB disks? O_o

Most likely.

(900x830 - 249k)

I think the first disk in this set is mainly given over to the publisher's custom installer, will find out some day when I Kryoflux them.

First played the game on PSX sometime around 1999-2001 when I was in single digits. Instantly fell in love with it (despite being far below the age rating for it).

Fast forward a few years to 2005, and I picked up the collector's edition for the PC containing all original Doom games (except Master Levels) for £10. At that time, I literally only had a Windows 98 laptop available to me, but it ran Doom, so I was satisfied. I then discovered the magical, wonderful world of Doom modding (though didn't become a member of Doomworld until about a year ago). Doom will forever be my favorite game of all time.

Hey guys! I first played DOOM II at my best friend's house in 1994 or 95 when it came on 5 3.5" floppies. The game was actually his dad's but he was able to get ahold of the disks and install it (since I guess his dad Uninstalled it because of the violence factor :P).

I'll never forget the first level with the exploding barell and how awesome it was to blow up the enemy. Which is no coincidence that the game blew us away. It also scared us to death since we were so young lol...
It was a long time before I actually was able to play it on my own pc though. Too bad I didn't have a decent allowance to buy my own games back then :x.
Good memories though.

Randemonium said:

Hey guys! I first played DOOM II at my best friend's house in 1994 or 95 when it came on 5 3.5" floppies. The game was actually his dad's but he was able to get ahold of the disks and install it (since I guess his dad Uninstalled it because of the violence factor :P).

I'll never forget the first level with the exploding barell and how awesome it was to blow up the enemy. Which is no coincidence that the game blew us away. It also scared us to death since we were so young lol...
It was a long time before I actually was able to play it on my own pc though. Too bad I didn't have a decent allowance to buy my own games back then :x.
Good memories though.

Doom never scared me per se', when I was a kid. But, I'd have to take a break every hour or so. It would always get me feeling really morbid lol.

Buckshot said:

Strangely, one of those guys who really had little interest in gaming... but saw my interest in it and contributed. I think he was amazed at how quickly I was picking up on computers and games, and learning stuff like that, saw the potential and decided to run with it. My entire career and life evolves around the fact I took interest in tech at that age, and he contributed to it heavily, likely knowing that was the path I was going to run with in life.

My first experience was similar, probably a few years later. My dad wasn't into video games at all but he had Doom installed on his work laptop, which I believe was a Texas Instruments with Windows 95. It was a chunky thing with the red dot in the middle for mouse. I distinctly remember the oddly nice toxic electronics smell of it. It's kind of like enjoying the smell of gasoline. I remember him showing me where some of the health pickups were and how to find some of the secrets (wall humping). Later we got a Compaq and I was basically glued to the thing playing Final Doom and shareware Doom. I remember being in a store staring at a copy of Doom II because we didn't have it. A kid was next to me and noticed me looking at the packaged and asked if I knew the cheat codes. I didn't because internet was a luxury and I didn't have money to buy the games let alone guides. He told me the cheat codes iddqd and idclip and memorized them all the way home to try them out. Oh, it was so exciting to see the doom guy's eyes change color when I typed iddqd!

I also have very fond memories of Chex Quest. At the time I had no idea it was basically the same game but it explains why I played it so much. I remember seeing this exciting game on the front of a Chex box in the grocery. Did I really like Chex? I could eat them. But I had to have that game! The marketing got me. I begged for it. Usually this type of stuff ends in disappointment. There's a bad-ass picture on the front of the box blows it way out of proportion. Chex Quest was basically Doom with an exceptional sprite/texture replacement and cool music.

Buckshot, just wanted to say that was a very touching and beautiful story. My old man is up there in age but is still kicking. He and I were recounting the other day (shortly after I showed him 2015 Doom footage) how he would try to play Wolfenstein 3D when I wasn't around, and shortly after realized that it was a computer game and it wouldn't be a secret for long. Within a year he had me playing Doom and he even called me from work one day to ask how to get the red key in E1M2, if I recall correctly. It's really cool how in some cases our awesome dads were like this weirdly sentimental introduction into Dooming.

GoatLord said:

Buckshot, just wanted to say that was a very touching and beautiful story.

Definitely. My favorite part is that something his pops did even when he was so young not only influenced him for the rest of his life, but also his career.

Within a year he had me playing Doom and he even called me from work one day to ask how to get the red key in E1M2, if I recall correctly. It's really cool how in some cases our awesome dads were like this weirdly sentimental introduction into Dooming.

Lmao! That's a great dad too ^^

Somewhat unrelated, I remember a little after the time when I first played Doom, my pops had put all the comp games in an old program called "Toy Box (2)" and we designed the little pixelated icons for them. Good times

GoatLord said:

Buckshot, just wanted to say that was a very touching and beautiful story. My old man is up there in age but is still kicking. He and I were recounting the other day (shortly after I showed him 2015 Doom footage) how he would try to play Wolfenstein 3D when I wasn't around, and shortly after realized that it was a computer game and it wouldn't be a secret for long. Within a year he had me playing Doom and he even called me from work one day to ask how to get the red key in E1M2, if I recall correctly. It's really cool how in some cases our awesome dads were like this weirdly sentimental introduction into Dooming.

My Dad knew I loved DOOM back In the day, but never really bothered to try It out, though He was cool about Me playing a Violent FPS, and SORT of liked the music, He wanted Me to play ACDC and other songs along with the game sometimes. xD;

I first saw a CD of it around 2006 but the first time I played it it was in 2009. Since I played older games like Unreal Tournament and Hexen 2, the first time I heard about DOOM I thought it would look like this:

nxGangrel said:

I first saw a CD of it around 2006 but the first time I played it it was in 2009. Since I played older games like Unreal Tournament and Hexen 2, the first time I heard about DOOM I thought it would look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vGEicys2o

Nice way to get started on DOOM I suppose! Though, I can admit that those models, Oh Boy...

Wow, Buckshot's story was really moving. I'm thankful to say both my parents are doing pretty darn good (late 50's now). I also have many fond memories playing Doom with my dad and brother back in the old days, and many ohter generally Doom related stories.. :)

nxGangrel said:

yt link

....ROFL, Romero's head looks so funny in that YT thumbnail!

Doomkid said:

Wow, Buckshot's story was really moving. I'm thankful to say both my parents are doing pretty darn good (late 50's now). I also have many fond memories playing Doom with my dad and brother back in the old days, and many ohter generally Doom related stories.. :)

....ROFL, Romero's head looks so funny in that YT thumbnail!

...Looks like a Chinese's Guy head on a steak, I'M JUST BEING HONEST, NOT TRYING TO BE DARK.

I've pretty much lived under a rock my whole life, so i didn't hear about Doom until 2001/2002. Then I found out about emulation in 2004 and played(badly) through Doom 64. Then I got a second hand Doom 1 CD(bootleg) from someone in 2006 I think.

scalliano said:

Midnight on Christmas Day, 1995 on my brand new shiny ... 32X.

I feel extremely bad for You, but close enough. c:

nxGangrel said:

Looks Native American to me. lol

True, It must be Nightwolf from Mortal Kombat.

I'm not sure why Sitters made a model for the Romero head actor. Possibly just to complete the set.

Personally, as a set, I like those models (as you might guess with it being my video). Let's be honest, it's very difficult to get models working well with the Doom movement and AI. So I can fully understand when people say "I don't like models in Doom" or "Doom doesn't suit models". Also, I get that people like the spritey appearance of Doom and that's part of the appeal for them.

However, I like the fact that Sitters decided to not be entirely faithful to the sprites and that he put his own spin on things a bit. I like the more "wiry" physique of the baron/hell knight, the reasonably hi-res look of the pistol zombies and shotgunners works well IMO and I think the mancubus model is one of the best enemy replacement models to appear in a Doom port. As a set, there is a bit of inconsistency thematically but, on the whole, I do think the models have a nice "alternative re-imagining" element to them and, when combined with the hi-res textures in Risen3D and some well selected maps, the overall effect is very nice IMO.

Enjay said:

I'm not sure why Sitters made a model for the Romero head actor. Possibly just to complete the set.

Personally, as a set, I like those models (as you might guess with it being my video). Let's be honest, it's very difficult to get models working well with the Doom movement and AI. So I can fully understand when people say "I don't like models in Doom" or "Doom doesn't suit models". Also, I get that people like the spritey appearance of Doom and that's part of the appeal for them.

However, I like the fact that Sitters decided to not be entirely faithful to the sprites and that he put his own spin on things a bit. I like the more "wiry" physique of the baron/hell knight, the reasonably hi-res look of the pistol zombies and shotgunners works well IMO and I think the mancubus model is one of the best enemy replacement models to appear in a Doom port. As a set, there is a bit of inconsistency thematically but, on the whole, I do think the models have a nice "alternative re-imagining" element to them and, when combined with the hi-res textures in Risen3D and some well selected maps, the overall effect is very nice IMO.

Yeah, Mancubus was the best model, I can apperciate what the Guy was trying to do, but I like the cartoony colorful feeling that the sprites gived to Me.

Man that video was a trip to watch. It reminded me of a Doom meets Turok type of thing.

I prefer sprites for the most part, but I don't mind 3D models when done right. I thought that a lot of the mobs and items looked sweet, but idk about how they walk. Its like there isn't enough upper body/head movement. Movement reminds me of that weird show Xavier: Renegade Angel. Just something about it seems off. Also, idk about the cyberdemon. Among the other high-def things his metal leg from the side looked underdetailed. Also, some deaths, such as the cyber's and manc's, were questionable.

On the flip side, when I saw bullet holes in the HK and baron, I just about flipped my shit. That was a great touch and even though the barons moved weirdly and imo should have been either buffer or even more wirey like the original Doom art, after I saw that they were my favorite enemy. The mancubus and zombies were all pretty cool, but again with the walking.

The fact looked hilarious, in a good way, and the PE and demon looked like something off of either N64 or one of those new indie phone games.

The weapon retextures were bad ass. Flat out, they looked great. The only thing I could possibly gripe about is a common problem with most mods, the way the shotgun's animation runs, it doesn't look powerful like a shotgun would feel irl. No recoil, no kick-back, no nothing. But most mods are like that. Tbh, I liked the shotguns animation here better than in most other "hi-def" mods.

I'd imagine that animating in 3D gets pretty tough, so with that taken into consideration I think whoever made it (Sitters) did an awesome job, certainly better than I could ever do. :)

Shareware release on some gem of a 386 running 3.1 that needed a disk to boot it to dos because there wasn't enough ram to run it otherwise.

Also, PC speaker only...no sound card so I never actually knew how it sounded until I got the SNES version.

SavageCorona said:

Honestly the 3D models are ugly, poorly animated and don't fit.

Finally someone agrees. A Friend thinks It makes DOOM look more creepy, I mean... DOOM's suppose to be colorful, Am I right?