Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There is a point where there is simply too much text to show on the screen. Remember that some players will be using lower resolutions, further reducing the space to show text. I would recommend shortening it to fit on the screen better. Also, if this is the text you're using, you might want to proof-read it a little more. Remember, Doom is a game about action, not reading, so try to keep your text to a minimum!

If you simply must have all of your text, you might be able to set up some fancy ACS scripts at the start or end of your levels and have them display text in a similar fashion (but if you choose this route, please allow the player to skip it if they want to, and don't use that tiny default font).

Having said all of that, there might be a way to achieve the effect you want, but sadly, I don't know how (or if there is one). Anyways, best of luck finding a solution to your answer, and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will come along and point you in the right direction!

Surreily said:

There is a point where there is simply too much text to show on the screen. Remember that some players will be using lower resolutions, further reducing the space to show text. I would recommend shortening it to fit on the screen better. Also, if this is the text you're using, you might want to proof-read it a little more. Remember, Doom is a game about action, not reading, so try to keep your text to a minimum!

If you simply must have all of your text, you might be able to set up some fancy ACS scripts at the start or end of your levels and have them display text in a similar fashion (but if you choose this route, please allow the player to skip it if they want to, and don't use that tiny default font).

Having said all of that, there might be a way to achieve the effect you want, but sadly, I don't know how (or if there is one). Anyways, best of luck finding a solution to your answer, and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will come along and point you in the right direction!

I don't think you quite understood what I was asking help on. Compare my screen to a normal Doom 2 text screen and you can tell something isn't right. The usual doom 2 screen aligns to the left while mine aligns to the right. If mine aligned to the left like normal I could fit all my text there.

btw thanks for the advice, keep in mind what I posted was a rough draft and the only reason I posted it was I needed it for this thread.

You must set the newlines manually, by putting \n wherever you want the newline to be. You can use spaces to "offset" the beginnings of lines.

scifista42 said:

You must set the newlines manually, by putting \n wherever you want the newline to be. You can use spaces to "offset" the beginnings of lines.

Didn't work. Thanks anyways.

Keep the newlines anyway, because maybe the lines of your text are wider than Doom's native 320 pixels and that's why your source port chooses to auto-align the whole text.

Check out MAPINFO/GameInfo_definition - "textscreenx" and "textscreeny" options. Play with them and maybe it will help.

Also, I recommend you to test the appearance of your texts in ZDoom and Zandronum too, maybe they will be different (or depending on screen resolution).

To set newlines within a ZMAPINFO definition, you need to have each line be its own string, e.g.

exittext = "this is the first line", "this is the second line", "third line now", "", "new paragraph";

Look, I really appreciate your guys' help, but is there anyway you can dumb down the explanation a little for me? I haven't been mapping for some number of years, and even then I knew little of it. The way you guys are explaining it to me feels like you're talking about something completely different to what I'm doing;

Sorry if I'm a pain to work with, I just want to ensure I can make my map as good as it can be.