Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Do you hold or click fire?

As titled.

I click fire 90% (maybe 80%) of the time, and only hold fire when I know there's not a need to duck, such as when there is a lot of monster infighting or many fodder monsters in front of something bigger. I hold fire mostly with the rocket launcher, sometimes with the chaingun, depending on distance, and BFG (on heavy monster maps).

You guys?

Holding fire is needed because most weapons have long cooldown times, just like the Plasma Gun, except they're not obvious.

I generally hold fire when I want to shoot continuously. But of course there are exceptions. For example:

1) I'm moving and (more importantly) changing direction a lot, while armed with the SG/SSG/RL and fighting against monsters surrounding me;
2) I'm shooting at a distant and moving target or one that I know to be a shot or two away from death, where holding fire will often end up wasting ammo;
3) I'm tapping with the pistol or chaingun.

I'm pretty sure I end up clicking fire with the pistol more often than not, since most of my pistol combat involves finishing off a weakling. And very often with the fist too, since a lot of berserk pack combat is "swoop in and punch and swoop out" either against monsters that go down in one hit or against mid-tier+ monsters; and since the penalty of mistiming a punch is very often a miss, which is less often the case with the other weapons. The BFG too, since I don't play slaughter maps. But I spend more time equipped with the SG/SSG/RL than the other weapons, so even excluding the CG/PG I end up holding fire more often than not.

Punches are clicks usually. I hold for most things, but its important to know for guns with long fire intervals such as shotguns or plasma gun to know when to let go of the fire button. There some difficult maps where shooting as often as possible isn't the best way to win. Take the time to avoid fireballs and make every shot do its maximum possible damage every time.

Is burst an option?

I'm one of the tools who refuses to play without Brutal Doom now that it exists.

For anything that's automatic, I burst. I hold for maybe 2 seconds.

Anything else, plasma rifle included, it's rapid clicks.

Jaxxoon R said:

What? Hold, I don't want carpal tunnel.

The first Diablo gave me immunity to carpal tunnel.

If there is something in front of me to shoot that needs more than one shot, hold. There is no reason to hold if something will be dead in one shot, no reason to click if I need to immediately shoot again.

There are specific times for both.

I click-fire most everything; ammo conservationist right here.
I mostly use the shotguns, followed by bullets and RL together;I rarely use the plasma gun or bfg, but the plasma gun I'll hold-fire in certain select instances. This goes for other guns as well: when I'm in an "Oh St*t!" moment, if I know how much ammo of what I'm using that I'll need, like with the RL, or if I know no ammo will be wasted, such as a group of mobs closely packed together/big guy up close and I'm using the chaingun.

[MAG]Nathan said:

I'm one of the tools who refuses to play without Brutal Doom now that it exists.

QUICK, GET HIM!!!

[MAG]Nathan said:

DMGUYDZ64 said:

That's not even funny.

If you want to insult me I'm all for that. I really am. Insult my taste in music, or architecture. Or even my idealistic views that the human race will pull itself together on its own before we all hit full 1984.

But I swear to your God. If you try and lump me in, with Cock of Doody Modern GayFuckStupid "players". Well, your God will wish he could save you, more than you do.

That's not a promise, or a threat. Just a fact.

Well, I usually hold in but I mostly play singleplayer. If I played multiplayer it'd be a different issue, I almost never hold in any mouse buttons when playing stuff like Quake Live. I'd probably do the same with Doom. In fact, I probably have in the duels I play, I feel that with weapons like the super shotguns timing is important, you have to fire at the right moment and reloading takes some time so I click when I have a clean shot instead of holding in.

[MAG]Nathan said:

That's not even funny.

If you want to insult me I'm all for that. I really am. Insult my taste in music, or architecture. Or even my idealistic views that the human race will pull itself together on its own before we all hit full 1984.

But I swear to your God. If you try and lump me in, with Cock of Doody Modern GayFuckStupid "players". Well, your God will wish he could save you, more than you do.

Dmguydz64s looking for someone to pick on to distract us from shredding him for being a hl2 fan boy. Wasn't even a good burn.

Combinebobnt said:

i tap plasma gun

Yeah I make sure to tap plasma gun, fist, and chainsaw. Have to watch out for sniper melee units.

Combinebobnt said:

i tap plasma gun

I unironically do too when I want to round cell ammo to be divisible by 40. Then I have a fit when it double-bursts and I get a 39 leftover.

Lol, I thought DMGUYDZ64'a pic was funny. Maybe next time don't get all defensive and butt-hurt at a little joke. Hell, after that quote the picture was perfect haha.

[MAG]Nathan said:

That's not even funny.

That sounded kinda serious. But hey, I'm a dummy, so you must account for my lack of common sense sometimes ;p