Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

So apparently there was a glitch in the matrix over the Berenstein bears...

So apparently the Beren"stain" bears are causing a mindfu*k amongst society right now...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_the_Matrix/comments/243a9m/i_found_proof_that_the_berenstain_bears_were_once/

http://www.strangerdimensions.com/2015/01/21/the-berenstin-bears-problem-are-we-living-in-an-alternate-worldline/

http://mandelaeffect.com/berenstein-or-berenstain-bears

http://woodbetweenworlds.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-berenstein-bears-we-are-living-in.html?m=1

Being from that particular age group who grew up during the height of the bears interest.. I also very well remember it being "stein" and not "stain". Figured since alot of you are also part of that 30-something group... curious to see what you think it was and just what might be going on here.

some manipulated living/tangent universe alternate reality like Donnie darko? Or just typical nonsensical BS from the Internets poor memory?

The Berenstain Bears, by Stan and Jan Berenstein. What's the difficulty?

If anything this demonstrates how the unwashed masses are slaves to memetic mutation. The fact that the "red pill" community are just as susceptible to this is delicious irony.

It's Berenstain. Sometimes the Internet will deceive us. She's a tricky skank but I know her tricks. Stan and Jan Berenstain created it.

just for the record, if there actually is a universe that we split away from where it was originally "berenstein", and in that universe George Lucas never made the Star Wars prequels... I'm totally OK with that.

Bucket said:

Fuck, now you've got me doing it.

I asked like 15+ people at my office today, either as old as me or older, without even giving them the context of why I was asking. Not a single one said it was spelled "Berenstain". All said "Berenstein".

spooky.

I actually recall this issue from the 2nd grade. Many people called them the Berenstein Bears, but that hasn't ever been correct. I have a vivid memory of my 2nd grade teacher going over this issue. Plus I firmly recall years of google, and other search engines, giving me the stink eye over the spelling as well. Google goes with what is searched, not spelled correctly.

Next the internet will tell me we have time travelers because people have videos of "cell phone users" that are clearly other objects (a big one being hearing aids)

To be fair I was watching an old black and white movie where a kid drops a cigarette case/tin. My eyes momentarily saw it as a smart phone. An idiot would claim he saw a time traveler and ignore the plot line about said case. Amusingly the price of the case in the movie wouldn't be out of question today. $100 for a fancy cig case, i've seen some at $1000 or more.

My favorite line from Futurama sums this up. Time makes fools of us all.

I have never heard about those "bears" in my entire life, but this just sounds like one of those typical Internet problems... 'it' (those using it) tries to destroy everything for those falling for it when they visit the 'weird' places.

Let his paint-job by somebody somewhere make you paranoid ;

Spoiler

8 windows including the one in the door, 7 steps including the final platform

What the heck? Some people. We need a thread here that has pictures just like this. Nothing but pics showing off paranoid ideas just like this about things that have nothing to do with it. Hilarious.

Sephiroth said:

Plus I firmly recall years of google, and other search engines, giving me the stink eye over the spelling as well.

I gotta ask.. just how often do you search "Berenstein bears"? o_O

I think I've identified a brony amongst us :P

But bronies like horses, not bears.

In fact, I think bears eat horses. Like those scary terrorbirds did in the time before time.

Buckshot said:

I gotta ask.. just how often do you search "Berenstein bears"? o_O

I think I've identified a brony amongst us :P

Wait till you get to your 30's, you get accessories called kids, fun stuff I tell you.
My niece loves the Berenstain bears. I ordered her a bunch through my work and amazon. Spell check recognizes neither spelling. Same with Doctor Dr. Seuss, another one people swear is spelled differently.

Thankfully NONE of the kids are into that show. Adventure Time, something about a gumball and a few others I can't recall tend to be what they fallow.

The funny thing is I remember noticing this as a kid. Was totally convinced up til I was about 8 or so that I'd been reading the Berenstein Bears for years. And then it was the Berenstain Bears. :P

Sephiroth said:

Wait till you get to your 30's, you get accessories called kids, fun stuff I tell you.

I'm 33, have tons of nieces and nephews (none of my own kids... yet. you should all be thankful of this), though they've yet to discover the berenstain bears, as they're still pretty young and the oldest is only in preschool.

Sure they'll get around to it eventually though. I think the big thing right now for them are minions & spongebob, lol.

In fact, here's a few pics of the oldest trying to figure out DOOM, Keen, and Wolf3D. Well, till my sister took away the phone and kicked me out of the house, anyways :/ Not my fault the kid likes badass games.

My 7 year old son loves the PC. He's hooked on all the good stuff. He's far superior then when I was his age. He keeps up just fine in most multiplayer FPS with adults. It's hilarious watching him kill people my age over and over again.

And yes he knows what the Berenstain Bears are. But he still keeps up with the latest shows like The amazing world of Gumball, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Teen Titans Go. And of course The Walking Dead.

And I who thought zat you Amerikaners spelled German "ei" just ze same, e.g. Heim, Stein etc.

Ist zat nicht so, Schweinehunde?!

There's a bunch of these things and I find them really fascinating (disclaimer: that website is wacky as hell and I don't believe all the stuff on there).

My favorite is the one about the ending to the movie Big. To recap in case you haven't watched it in a while: in the movie, Tom Hanks plays a young boy who has been transformed into an adult by a magic fortune teller machine. As an adult he becomes a successful toy designer and enters into a relationship with a woman named Susan (a slightly creepy storyline if you think about it too much).

The film ends with Tom Hanks turning back into a kid, saying goodbye to Susan and returning home to his parents' house. He hangs out with his friend (who was the only other person who knew he changed) and the credits roll.

However, a lot of people remember another ending: Tom Hanks' character (now a kid and no longer Tom Hanks) is back in school and sees a new girl enter the classroom: his girlfriend Susan who has used the same magical fortune teller machine to become a kid again so she can stay with him. Lots of people remember this ending including my wife, who insists she has seen this ending, and rejects any of the explanations that are presented online.

Out of sheer curiosity, several months ago I went as far as buying the special edition DVD box set of Big and listening to the director's commentary audio track, which one review said included:

a passing mention of the alternate ending that was reportedly tested and discarded, featuring Susan going back to Zoltar and wishing she could be a kid again to remain with Josh.

Having listened to the audio track in question I discovered it actually included the opposite: the producers/writers explicitly state that they never filmed any such thing.

I even went as far as tweeting at one of the producers of the film who told me that no such ending was ever created.

Personally I only watched Big for the first time recently after reading about this whole mystery and wanting to get to the bottom of it. To be honest I'm still not sure what to think - certainly all the evidence says that no such alternate ending exists, but there's enough doubt in my mind that I still wonder.

For years I could've sworn that the Spongebob episode Just one Bite originally had a scene where Squidward broke into the Krust Krab at night and had gasoline dumped on him, followed by a match from a robotic hand.

And it did.

I never could figure out why they cut the scene. And I still don't.

Probably the nature of the scene itself. It's not a big deal, but for instance, my daughter is just figuring out how to light matches (really bad, she can't light them obviously but staying on her about the dangers). If she saw that on Sponebob, she would say "wow, firework!", and probably attempt to do it again. Also, Squidward's reaction is hilarious. My daughter wouldn't understand (she's 2), but a kid a few years older than her might.

Just playing the safe card. I remember when a similar thing was banned from Beavis and Butthead back in the 90's. Didn't understand it then until I had a daughter of my own.

I'm actually pretty sure that episode is where I first learned that gasoline + fire = explosion. And even at that young of an age I'd played enough videogames to know that explosion = die.

Like I said, can't be too careful with a child of your own. We know better, but you can't be sure that a 2 year old would know (she doesn't). She also vaguely says "die" as in "bye-bye" but she does not understand the concept of it at all.

When you have a kid of your own, you might understand.

Chu said:

Probably the nature of the scene itself. It's not a big deal, but for instance, my daughter is just figuring out how to light matches (really bad, she can't light them obviously but staying on her about the dangers). If she saw that on Sponebob, she would say "wow, firework!", and probably attempt to do it again. Also, Squidward's reaction is hilarious. My daughter wouldn't understand (she's 2), but a kid a few years older than her might.

Just playing the safe card. I remember when a similar thing was banned from Beavis and Butthead back in the 90's. Didn't understand it then until I had a daughter of my own.

The thing from Beavis and Butthead was actually banned because some crazy kid lit his house on fire after he saw it on TV, killing his entire family in the process.
Kinda makes sense why they took it down, after that.

@fraggle:

Tell your wife she's not crazy. That's exactly how I remember the ending to BIG as well. :/

In fact, here's something odd back about Berenstein Bears. When I was in the second grade (late 80's), it was my first year of school in a private school (st. veronica) because my mom didn't like the public school that I attended in first 1st grade (Summerside elementary) or the teacher I had, Mrs. Bell. The last thing we did at the end of my 1st grade school year was let balloons off in the parking lot, I watched a re-run of the movie "legend" on tv that night, and I remember insane other details about first grade year.

but onto second grade... my teachers name was mrs. dumford. and without putting any real thought into it... her name was mrs. sherry dumford. a few weeks into second grade, I lied to my teacher that I couldn't see the chalk board from the back of the room so I'd get moved to the front where a buddy named ty kyzinsinkzi sat. I haven't talked or heard from ty since the third grade.

If you're asking why any of this is relevant... one day in Ms. Dumford's class, she had us draw a picture about a short story we read. The person who drew the best picture representing the story won a prize. I remember being in that classroom, reading and drawing, watching everyone else around me... what desk I was at, what the lighting was like, right down to the line of us waiting to show off our drawing to the class.

The prize was a scholastic books pack set of Berenstein Bears books. I remember it well... because I won that prize. It was the first thing I'd ever won, and I remember rushing home to tell my parents. I remember marveling over them like nobodies buisness. And I clearly remember STEIN on the front.

You cant say I'm crazy. With as much attention to detail that I can remember... I swear that it was STEIN, and it really does kinda weird me out over all of this.

It could probably be that it really was always spelled Berenstain and that we all just expected it to be spelled and pronounced Berenstein since it sounds and feels more "right" and natural. If it was spelled Berenstein anywhere (like an article) then those errors might have gone unperceived since everyone expected it to be spelled Berenstein. Feels like it's just one of those things that's so very subtle and easy to get mixed up over once it's brought up.

That or we really are living in an alternate world line and shifted universes. Let me check my divergence meter....

honestly think the 3rd down comment by "acb" on this article explains it best as just a memory thung specific to our age when Berenstain was at the height of popularity, which would be that 30-something crowd like many of us here. How we perceived it still learning at a young age and how we went without seeing it so many years... it's a certain natural mindtrick

http://www.metafilter.com/149683/The-Mandela-Effect-and-The-Berenstein-Bears-Switcheroo

Also... a good article on many mandela effect conspiracies:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/mandela-effect#.icBQq6G5a

Is there a universe where Doom never came about and they just made another Commander Keen as an FPS with a Doom-like engine and new we are using Keen Builder 2 written by Codeimp to make maps for the UMKF map format for ZKeen? That would be a mind-fuck. And playing the awesome Espi maps for Keen2?

Buckshot said:

In fact, here's a few pics of the oldest trying to figure out DOOM, Keen, and Wolf3D. Well, till my sister took away the phone and kicked me out of the house, anyways :/ Not my fault the kid likes badass games.

But Commander Keen IS a kids game

Chu said:

Like I said, can't be too careful with a child of your own. We know better, but you can't be sure that a 2 year old would know (she doesn't). She also vaguely says "die" as in "bye-bye" but she does not understand the concept of it at all.

When you have a kid of your own, you might understand.

Oh I understand. Do not presume. I was just telling my personal experience with the scene.

Thing is, Nickelodeon has already stated that Spongebob isn't intended for preschool-aged audiences anyways :p