Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadowrider78

what is officially canon to DOOM

Fredrik said:

If you ask me, the storyline of every wad in /idgames is canon and takes place in the same universe. Doomguy is just like Santa Claus.

fraggle said:

Or every WAD is its own separate universe, part of a shared multiverse.

Then we just need a "crisis on infinite WADs" PWAD that will merge them all together.

Say hello to the canonization of terry wads. Bleh.

The Canon for DOOM Is so damn confusing, but I'm considering the Idea of the games having different Marines, but Who Knows, Doomguy can do crazy shit, or Id Software doesn't give a shit about Canon, that's my best guess there.

My take:

• Doom guy gets sent to Phobos. Kills most of the demon infestation, including two Barons of Hell. Teleports somewhere dark, where he apparently dies. ("Knee Deep in the Dead")
  • He wakes up at the lost Deimos base, seemingly alive. He goes through, kills a Cyberdemon, and comes to the conclusion that he really did die and was sent to Hell - which just happens to be where the Deimos base is, now a floating island above Hell's surface. ("The Shores of Hell")
  • Somehow climbing down from that floating island without getting injured from the fall (not like Doom had fall damage anyway), he proceeds through Hell's surface, seeking out what he believes to be the leader of the invasion, the Spider Mastermind, and killing it. Immediately afterward, he stumbles upon an open portal to Earth, mistaking it as Hell deciding he's more trouble than he's worth, but in fact finding out it's one of many being used by Hell to launch an invasion on the planet. ("Inferno")
  • Doom guy makes his way through ground zero of this particular portal. Not really much to say plotwise here. ("Thy Flesh Consumed")
  • Escaping that region, what's left of UAC contacts him to tell him about how what's left of humanity is stuck trying to escape the planet's surface. He makes it to the starbase containing whatever MacGuffin it is preventing that rocket from leaving the planet's orbit (or its surface, I'm not quite sure which), takes down all opposition in his way, and saves humanity. (Doom 2 MAP01-MAP11)
  • He's content to die (again) knowing mankind will be able to slowly hobble its way back to something resembling society on another planet free from the hellspawn, but UAC instead gives him the mission of finding one portal in particular (the game implies it's the only one, in fact) in the middle of a city. Along the way, he possibly briefly teleports back to Hell and discovers that Nazis took over a small corner, as well as a few Billy Blaze clones they made only to hang them all for some arbitrary reason, before he teleports back to Earth again. (Doom 2 MAP12-20, MAP31-32)
  • Eventually, he finds the portal but can't figure out how to close it from Earth's side - so he jumps back to Hell (not like he hasn't seen it already) to figure out how to close it. Ultimately, he shoots rockets at some wall and the invasion is apparently thwarted by this. (Doom 2 MAP21-30)
  • Pretty much every classic Doom followup, official (TNT, Plutonia, Doom 64) or unofficial (everything else), follows from here, and are, with few exceptions, mutually exclusive.
There are a few holes in my interpretation, I suppose - the text at the end of MAP11 explicitly says there's only one portal, while I'd interpreted the portal between Episodes 3 and 4 as one of many (and Doom guy just got lucky finding it when he did). Also, the ending of MAP30 implies Doom guy goes back to Earth to rebuild, but also implies the entire point of killing the Icon of Sin was to close the only portal that'd have let him go home in the first place, so Hell couldn't do so as well.

I guess this is more complicated than it looks on the face of it. Obviously id didn't put too much thought into it; I suppose I shouldn't either.

fraggle said:

It's a good summary but I feel it could do with a diagram.

Maybe the explanation is that each Doom game takes place in its own parallel universe, subtly different to all the others, like Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 series.

I've never read any of the 2001 books. Are they as balls as their summaries suggest?

The first Rama book was good.

Mithran Denizen said:

I think the idea of 'canon' in fiction is a silly idea and potentially an impedement to storytelling.

I've waited all my life to hear someone say that, I feel the same. <3

I like stories that can be independent from each other but if I have to choose a canon I'd choose... the comic book.

Also, I would like to see a Doom game that doesn't take place on Mars or Earth for a change. Something new and different. Time will tell on that, otherwise someone's probably made a WAD of it. :V

It's like trying to make sense of the Evil Dead film timelines and continuity. Just go with it. You'll be happier in the end.

Buckshot said:

It's like trying to make sense of the Evil Dead film timelines and continuity. Just go with it. You'll be happier in the end.

That's actually true, they did get most of their Ideas from the Evil Dead and Aliens. But I can see where Shadow Hog Is going with though.

The manuals and intermission screens were written without any care to the continuous storyline and should be taken with a grain of salt despite them being the official texts. What I strongly agree with is that Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 protagonists are the same guy, one and only. There cannot be any other way. Doom 3 is a reboot so its hero meant to be the same guy from a parralel universe.
Also IMO Doom RPG is non canon and Doomguy being another Blazkowich is just an id fanservice.

Orchid87 said:

The manuals and intermission screens were written without any care to the continuous storyline and should be taken with a grain of salt despite them being the official texts. What I strongly agree with is that Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 protagonists are the same guy, one and only. There cannot be any other way. Doom 3 is a reboot so its hero meant to be the same guy from a parralel universe.
Also IMO Doom RPG is non canon and Doomguy being another Blazkowich is just an id fanservice.

Sort of mentioned that myself, Id back In the day really didn't give a shit about story at all.

This is off topic but since someone mentioned it...

I didn't see 2001 (film) until maybe 4 years ago, after a coworker said "if you want to watch a movie that you can't understand, watch that". I took that as a challenge, didn't understand it, but came up with my own conclusion. Then I looked into it, and was sort of obsessed with sci-fi space horror (I interpreted 2001 as much more sinister than it was meant to be) and became enamored with Dead Space and started looking into that genre of literature, like "Crescent" by Phil Rossi (only got about 3/4 through, didn't finish).

I still have a theory about 2001 that nobody I've talked to has thought of, and haven't seen online. I bought the book, which gives a much more clear understanding of the film's ending. I understand it now.

TLDR: 2001 is a good book, haven't read the sequels.

Jon said:

I've never read any of the 2001 books. Are they as balls as their summaries suggest?

The first Rama book was good.

2001: ASO was so confusing at first and very dark-seeming to me.

When I watched it, I had to look up the plot explanation because of how trippy it was.

Basically, the computer goes crazy because it doesn't know how to handle confidential information, coupled with the fact that it knows it's the only one who knows the confidential info, as well as the fact that if it were shut down nobody would be able to finish the mission. The monoliths were what sparked each step in human evolution. From monkeys with bone-tools to space travel, to deep-space travel, to becoming some kind of celestial being. I never read the books and forget if there was a movie sequel, but supposedly the books do a better job explaining the little things (as is typical) than the movie does.

I didn't see anything with other dimensions in the movie, unless if the room where he watched himself grow old was one such alternate dimension.

Everything of importance took place in the regular dimension.

Idk how many similarities you can draw between 2001: ASO and Doom. But I guess as long as neither one makes much sense it's not much of a stretch.

Fonze said:

2001: ASO was so confusing at first and very dark-seeming to me.

When I watched it, I had to look up the plot explanation because of how trippy it was.

Basically, the computer goes crazy because it doesn't know how to handle confidential information, coupled with the fact that it knows it's the only one who knows the confidential info, as well as the fact that if it were shut down nobody would be able to finish the mission. The monoliths were what sparked each step in human evolution. From monkeys with bone-tools to space travel, to deep-space travel, to becoming some kind of celestial being. I never read the books and forget if there was a movie sequel, but supposedly the books do a better job explaining the little things (as is typical) than the movie does.

I didn't see anything with other dimensions in the movie, unless if the room where he watched himself grow old was one such alternate dimension.

Everything of importance took place in the regular dimension.

Idk how many similarities you can draw between 2001: ASO and Doom. But I guess as long as neither one makes much sense it's not much of a stretch.

Sadly never saw 2001: ASO, but the two both sound confusing when It comes to story and other stuff. Though It's obvious that Id had nothing to do with story when It comes to DOOM though while 2001 focuses on weirdness and dark-like stuff. The most confusing movie (or Mind-Fuck) I ever watched was maybe Natural Born Killers, but It was understandable. Still considered Mind-Fuck for Me.

fraggle said:

Or every WAD is its own separate universe, part of a shared multiverse.

Then we just need a "crisis on infinite WADs" PWAD that will merge them all together.

My canon incorporates all PWADs that aren't creative. Except they all happen many years after the events that happened depicted.

FACT: Every single "Action/Sci Fi" flick from the 80's and 90's are all Doom canon.

Doomkid said:

FACT: Every single "Action/Sci Fi" flick from the 80's and 90's are all Doom canon.

With Evil Dead 2 mixed with It?

Jon said:

Don't know - I haven't read the books, I've only read the Wikipedia pages.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Hell yes. Ever seen the cover of the PSX port? It has Evil Dead written all over it

Hell Yeah I did, It would've been a even bigger surprise If Bruce Campbell ever played In a DOOM movie (one true to the games, at least).

Marcaek said:

canon is for nerds

so if I were to say....have a debate about doomguy VS someone,how do you suppose I tell that person all of doomguys stats and abilities and all of his achievements? :P

shadowrider78 said:

so if I were to say....have a debate about doomguy VS someone,how do you suppose I tell that person all of doomguys stats and abilities and all of his achievements? :P

NERD!

Nah, I kid. I saw a Doomguy vs the master chief once; I think the master chief won. Which is bullshit because the slow ass MC would never be able to catch the Doomguy as he runs around at mach 2 hitscanning a slow moving target that lacks a run button while dodging what are ultimately only projectiles. You know what, I've put too much thought into this.

Fonze said:

NERD!

Nah, I kid. I saw a Doomguy vs the master chief once; I think the master chief won. Which is bullshit because the slow ass MC would never be able to catch the Doomguy as he runs around at mach 2 hitscanning a slow moving target that lacks a run button while dodging what are ultimately only projectiles. You know what, I've put too much thought into this.

XD and I know that the fight was bullshit,but you can't argue with MC fanboys.

Shadow Hog said:

My take:

Doom 2 MAP12-20, MAP31-32)
  • Eventually, he finds the portal but can't figure out how to close it from Earth's side - so he jumps back to Hell (not like he hasn't seen it already) to figure out how to close it. Ultimately, he shoots rockets at some wall and the invasion is apparently thwarted by this. (Doom 2 MAP21-30)
  • Pretty much every classic Doom followup, official (TNT, Plutonia, Doom 64) or unofficial (everything else), follows from here, and are, with few exceptions, mutually exclusive.

There is also No Rest for the Living —it can be considered canon as it's part of BFG Edition—, which basically is the same doomguy cleaning the fuck out the last remnants of hellspawn on Earth.

Avoozl said:

NRFTL isn't any more canon than Final Doom is.

Right, as they are equally canon :P

Currently, I consider everything in Doom 3: BFG Edition to be canon.
Doom: Phobos experiments gone bad, Transported to Diemos, Goes to Hell, Defeats Spiderdemon.

Thy Flesh Consumed: Doomguy goes to Earth, for revenge after daisy's death.

Doom II: The Continuing adventures of Doomguy, on his quest to defeat the invasion from Hell. Only joking but yeah.... Defeats Icon of Sin...

No Rest for the Living: Set on earth, after the Hell invasion is seemingly defeated.

---Reboot---

Doom 3: Doomguy sent to Mars, all Hell breaks loose yada yada yada... Defeats Cyberdemon.

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil: A Hellish artifact is found, The Demon invasion begins again...

Doom 3: The Lost Mission

What happened to the Bravo team.

---Reeboot---

Doom (2016): Who knows?