Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CocoaDemon

teleport ambush when walking over a linedef?[Doom builder2]

Everyone probably knows this but I could not find this anywhere.

So what I want to happen is when a player walks over a linedef monsters to teleport in.

This is possible if you crush a barrel to push a monster over a teleport linedef. It's finicky, but surely possible.

With Boom extensions, it's possible to use a displacement scroller to move the monster across a teleport without actually hurting it. This is probably the more effective option.

CocoaDemon said:

So what I want to happen is when a player walks over a linedef monsters to teleport in.

Okay, to do this, you'll need MapSpots and you need to assign the "Thing_Spawn" action to the linedef.

Give the MapSpot any TID, and then configure the linedef to set what you want to spawn and where at (TID).

EarthQuake said:

This is possible if you crush a barrel to push a monster over a teleport linedef. It's finicky, but surely possible.

You can simply place the monster on a tiny closed outside the map and have it surrounded by a floor that lowers (or ceiling that raises) when the player crosses the line. The linedefs of this floor (or ceiling) can then have a special to teleport the monster. Of course you have to wake up the monster, but that can be done by simple merging the sectors.

The waking up can happen anytime in the map, it doesn't really have to be close to the teleporter trap. Of course that does not work when you want to teleport the monsters before the player fired a shot.

CocoaDemon said:

Simplest way (rephrasing what boris said):

- make a sector outside the map, put the ambush monsters in it
- put a teleporter line inside the sector that will teleport the monsters to the desired spot when they cross it. block the line with a door, a raised step etc. that the monsters cannot cross.
- make sure the monsters in this sector are woken up at some point before the ambush happens. simplest way is this: find an area in the map where the player will certainly fire his gun at some point (a place with heavy fighting, or shootable switches), and merge one of the neighboring sectors with the dummy sector that houses the monsters (so that they are all considered part of one sector). When the player fires, the sound will spill over into that sector and wake up all monsters within the sector -- including these in the area outside the map.
- When the player crosses the trap linedef, remove the obstacle blocking the monsters from teleporting (open door, lower the step, etc.) and they'll walk into the teleport.