Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vadrig4r

I made an icon for my Chocolate Doom

I have negative artistic/creative talent but thought I'd have a go anyway. I wanted an icon for my Chocolate Doom that reflected its design simplicity and faithfulness. That coupled with my hilarious, child-like drawing skill led to a basic pixel art picture. Feel free to use/modify/DBAN from your hard disk out of disgust:

64x64 .png:
(links straight to the picture, no imgur bullshit)

.ico:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=51348493574571589413

Without offense intended, but do you have a problem with the current Chocolate Doom icon?

chungy said:

Without offense intended, but do you have a problem with the current Chocolate Doom icon?

None taken! I like the current icon, but I felt it didn't represent the simplicity of the project (with the ice cream photo and gradient on the D). Also understand that this is just something I made for my icon and thought I'd share in case someone else liked it, and is in no way trying to replace the original (which is of course much more polished).

I like it. Now I think all icons should be chocolate bars!

I agree that the simplicity of the icon lends itself well to the CD project. :)

I actually really like that. If it had a little non gradient D next to it (in a similar fashion to the actual logo) I'd jump right on it. Thanks for sharing :)

GooberMan said:

I like the part where a design that's intentionally simple has requests to make it more complicated.

That's nice. The source port is called "Chocolate Doom", not "Chocolate". But this is not a criticism of vadrig4r's work, just a suggestion.

Glad some people liked it and cheers for the feedback guys. I'll mess around with suggestions for fun and see what I come up with. I'll warn you now I started off with a D and, with my limited capabilities, struggled to make it look as good as the stock icon. I can try though.

While it's nice and all, I thought that much of the point of the chocolate Doom name was that it was not vanilla. With one of the most common vanilla flavoured products being ice cream (and I suspect the thing that people are equating un-fancy, basic stuff to when they talk about them being vanilla), the icon being chocolate ice cream makes sense. Just being a bar of chocolate loses the point of the name IMO.

I liked the old icon with the imp licking an ice cream. Yeah, I know why it got axed, but it was just perfect.

Thanks for making this. I have to be honest though - I prefer the current icon.

I'm open to the possibility of giving Chocolate Doom a new icon but it needs to be something really compelling and I don't think this is it.

The idea of having a simple design that reflects the project's philosophy is nice, but that kind of approach really needs to be classy in a really iconic way to work well - otherwise "simple" can just end up looking crude.

To give some feedback on this design beyond an unhelpful, "I don't like it":

• Very low contrast which means that it isn't very distinctive to look at. If you blur your eyes it's just a brown square.
  • Chocolate Doom actually needs a variety of different icons now: for Chocolate Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife and the setup tool. Ideally these should all be visually distinct and distinguishable. There are open bugs on Github for creating the missing icons - currently all the games use the same 'D' icon.
  • Represents the "Chocolate" side of the name but not the "Doom" side. This is something that the current logo does well as it's basically a pictographic representation of the project name. Actually, following Chocolate Doom's philosophy of trying to be "egoless", focusing on the "Chocolate" side might be the opposite of what's best.

Gez said:

I liked the old icon with the imp licking an ice cream. Yeah, I know why it got axed, but it was just perfect.

I liked it too, but it had to be replaced because the imp is copyrighted graphics. I came up with the current logo as a replacement because the logo was being stripped out of the chocolate-doom Debian package for being non-free.

fraggle said:

Very low contrast which means that it isn't very distinctive to look at. If you blur your eyes it's just a brown square.

I think a more 'sleek' design, something like this, could be appropriate:

That said I too like the ice cream, it further pushes that "chocolate, vanilla" thingy. Either wway, like you said, more little icons are soon to be needed, so I hope more people bring some ideas to the table :)