Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First draft of a new map, started adding secrets, not super satisfied with the ending but I think I put some cool geometry there.

I swear it's not all green and brown, but I don't wana give it away :)

DOWNLOAD BigBiz.wad

Cool map, I assume you're just starting out, yeah? If so then I think it's great that you played around with a nice amount of stuff. The jagged and "weird" architecture looked pretty interesting to me, though some folks might damn your use of STARTAN :P. I was going to post screenshots of rooms I thought cool but I'll help protect those treasures. The gameplay was very meh and not exactly engaging but I guess it would be almost okay for an easy doom episode 1-3 tier difficulty map. There are some missing textures here and there, I think particularly when a wall lowers to the ground the HOM behind that sector is visible. I liked the interesting rooms behind those STARTAN walls. Keep goin' at it dude, you're doing pretty nice to me! :D

This was an ok map. Gameplay is nice with the reuse of older areas, but I feel like I've played some obscure 1994 - 1995 level because of the visual style of the map (muh texture alignment, muh details) I think you could greatly improve if you could learn to make your future maps look nicer (I.E. texture alignment, lighting, mid texture usage, linedef specials, etc.). I'm not trying to be rude to you, but this is not bad for a first map.

As with the others I assume this is your first (or among your earliest) maps. I think it's not too shabby. I agree with the other posters that texture alignment needs work, and I found the combination of the technological themed Startan with green demonic marble to be rather clashing, although it's not as though there's any law against this. I did appreciate the occasionally wonky, non-orthogonal geometry, as many levels tend to avoid this and it's nice to see maps with it in.

One particular thing that seems broken (in non-zdoom ports) is that sector 51 seems intended to be a lift, but neither it nor it's switch linedefs have been tagged. Therefore pressing the two linedefs causes a bunch of other sectors (including the one containing the plasma gun and cells) to lower instead of sector 51 itself. The area containing plasma looks to need some upper and lower texture unpegging too. However I felt the fact that the fleshy columns containing the barons weren't lower unpegged actually worked in their favour, as it sort of looked as though the flesh was melting away. I agree that the ending is quite abrupt - I was expecting the walls to lower and a concluding monster fight to take place, but there was just the empty room that looked like it ought to have been for something and the level exit.

Overall I think the level could do with (in addition to some general tidying of the textures) some borders or indentations to break up those big areas of startan. Perhaps also the map could do with more monsters in general, particularly in the early stages as it does feel a bit quiet. Keep working - your maps will improve.

EDIT: it's clearly not your first map as there's a separate thread for that already...

the northwest series of rooms is really cool, that descending / bridge staircase structure is genius and that large appendage in the room not to be named is charming. the pain elementals waiting for me in the main chamber were a welcome surprise since you were so kind as to throw all those cells at me. also, liked the secret passage that runs back into the lava fissure room.

the toxic annex that adjoins the spiral staircase and the lava canal has an interesting organic base style. the only other person i've really seen do this sort of stuff is _bruce_, who had three maps in D2INO (MAP02, 03, 14). it's a unique look and cool to see pop up again.

i don't have a whole lot to say about the fighting. the combat shotgun and plasma gun makes for pretty straightforward gunplay. dealing with the pain elementals was the most exciting part of the map, followed by the barons and mancubus that are coming down at you from the staircase.

Thanks for the input everyone! This is my third map technically but i'm pretty new to doom in general, not really a good player so its hard to estimate difficulty of groups of monsters outside of ammo rationing.

I also apologize for all the texture alignment, I knew everyone would catch all the problem spots, but as i got close to the end of the map I wasn't convinced it was worth polishing. I think the very end is kinda flat.

To kmxexii's comments about organic base design, I think that toxic area was the one I enjoyed the shapes of most when building. Turns out making giant boxy rooms because they 'look cool' isn't my forte. I guess next map i'll try a lot of tight hallways and height differences to make more interesting fights.

Thanks so much everyone!

I really enjoyed this map :) Really really love the architectural ideas you have going on, they are super interesting and not something you see often at all, which is way refreshing. The appendage area was incredible, loved that so much :D

cool as heck map imo