• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Sunlust [on /idgames]

oh, hi. Beta R4:

DOWNLOAD: Sunlust [Beta R4]

here's a picture:

- bugfixes and visual updates to pretty much.... everything... yup.
- map04 completely overhauled
- snow maps (early E3) underwent significant changes:
--- map21 replaced with a new map
--- map22 given a slightly new texture theme
--- map23 given a new texture theme
--- map24 completely overhauled
--- maps rearranged: (23->22, 22->21, 21->23)
- later E3 maps have been balanced to be more manageable on MP
- new MDOOM graphic (thanks franckfrag!)
- some original compositions for map04, map21 (thanks stewboy!)

Basically check out map04, 23, and 24 for new content.

We'll let this chill for a bit, do some last minute playthroughs. Assuming nothing major pops up we'll likely post a final version (aka /idgames) in the upcoming weeks.

Cool, I'll grab this when I get home. :) Still kinda sad that there isn't a proper final boss, but then again I suppose I'm gonna be the only one who thinks that, haha.

Yay :)

Just played the new map 04, it's all nice.
You guys might wanna check on one of the Revenants that are supposed to teleport during the BK battle. If the teleporter destination is occupied by the first Revenant ( thing 89 ), the second one ( thing 93 ) will remain stuck in sector 756.

Ribbiks said:

- some original compositions for map04, map23 (thanks stewboy!)

MAP21, looks like :P

Very sad to see map21 go, but the new version of 24 is absolutely spectacular. Love how you've retained the disco square of viles, albeit in a slightly modified form. The map feels much more focused now, without any grindy filler sections like the old yellow key area.

One small thing i've noticed is how you can use the switch to climb up to the super shotgun & teleporter on the new version of map22. Not sure if that's intentional as i'm sure there was a little ridge on the old version to prevent that from happening. It also takes the sting out of the rocket launcher and nobles encounter.

koren said:

One small thing i've noticed is how you can use the switch to climb up to the super shotgun & teleporter on the new version of map22. Not sure if that's intentional as i'm sure there was a little ridge on the old version to prevent that from happening. It also takes the sting out of the rocket launcher and nobles encounter.

hah. I noticed that when we were testing coop and I honestly wasn't sure if it was always like that or if I inadvertently changed it during the retexturing, guess it was the latter. It was always possible to prematurely get to that area before the RL fight (via the zerk secret), so it's not a huge deal either way, but I'll probably end up removing the "easy" ways of doing it.

Frankly speaking I liked the previous 24 more in gameplay department, the new one is just a thoroughly pronounced strict series of setpieces that lacks versatility of its predecessor. Like, wanna run away from the first fight (and I still don't like that one, so forcing me to actually fight there was... quite disappointing)? Here you go. Wanna overcome a series of challenges and obtain the big bad gun? Go ahead, though you're still free to ignore them should you consider handling the final encounters harder but still manageable way; and now the keys are pretty much mandatory, at least one of them should be collected to avoid being instantly incinerated, kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Also miss with the music track I think, Ribbiks' track from the previous iteration would still work here.
Don't get me wrong, as a thing on its own taken out of the context this map stands pretty tall. But seeing that it's based on another thing - what can I do, comparison is simply unavoidable.
However the looks of this map are sooo much better now, and this goes to the whole ex-wintry episode. Nice work on that, at the very least. Now these maps surely have more character to them.

New m04 made me scratch my head in confusion, never saw anything wrong with the original. Crampedness that later transformed in a pretty airy and spacious setting was nice and refreshing, and in here, all the attractive parts were thrown away, and the rest was tied together to form a tiny cavernous romp with a finale that involves favorable RNG rolls above anything else, as damage in there is simply unavoidable unless cyb decides not to shoot at all or something. Again, the music... a bit too heroic for what this map has become. I dunno, for me this "improvement" seems to be a step in the wrong direction.

And huge thanks for replacing 21, this new map (quite crumpets-like I'd say) is just so much better. Now, some tysoning is miles better than forcing it for the whole map. Good job.

I really enjoyed the new Sol. It felt more focused and straight to the point. I actually liked the previous version as well, but I think this one is better.

I've only played a little so far, but I'm pretty impressed. I'm sure I'll have more detailed feedback if I get around to playing the whole thing (assuming it doesn't turn into a Hell Revealed slaughterfest, in which case I'll probably get bored and quit, and comment on the maps I liked).

Added it to my Doom Mod Salad playlist (still uploading as of this post).

Seems like enough people like the old versions and evicted maps that you might want to cobble together a "rejects" mapset from those, rather than having them disappear entirely.

AMAZING wad! good job
i wasn't able to play map30 on beta4 though (using zdaemon)

strangely enough I think it's harder to get that SS the intended way than it is to just SR50 from the platform nearby. I noticed it's particularly easy to get in zdoom ports, where the player seems to pick up momentum much quicker.

Oh, by the way, the final release is on /idgames now: DOWNLOAD: Sunlust [/idgames]

Thanks to everyone for all the bugfinding and whatnot!

Yes!

Oh fucking god, I forget every time to put stars when I post a comment on /idgames grblgmfmmh... (it's a 5/5 for me).

Ribbiks said:

strangely enough I think it's harder to get that SS the intended way than it is to just SR50 from the platform nearby. I noticed it's particularly easy to get in zdoom ports, where the player seems to pick up momentum much quicker.

Woah, what is the intended way, then? I saw it, said "yeah, I'm supposed to SR50 to that", tried it a few times, and gave up because I suck at SR50.

wooooooooo!!!

just setup some dedicated coop & survival/extreme survival servers on zandro.

I expect this to be an all nighter this weekend =D

Downloaded the final version. But already had the beta and must admit that this is really, really amazing stuff. Something PCORF can only dream to make even though he is capable if he has the patience (Doomed Space Wars has been in development for 18 months and that is only 12 maps). All 32 maps were great and most of the music selection was just spot on. I might have commented earlier in this thread but I cannot remember. The realism, darkness and atmosphere and architecture of Sunlust were unreal along with the brutally challenging gameplay, Revenants everywhere, fatsos helping out plus much more ..... Mu Cephei wow, it feels like you are really at Mu Cepehei with that huge star in the sky and the nebulous sky around you.

Nice, playing through it right now, for real, on ITYTD (should probably up the skill to HNTR though or higher though since I'm starting to feel the need to now that I'm on MAP02) :S

Anyway I just came here to say that I got the soulsphere in MAP01 by strafe running :P

Wow. Thanks pcorf! Very fun to hear that you liked it :)

SuperCupcakeTactics: I would recommend playing on HNTR and going down a step instead of the other way around. It's more fun if you challenge yourself :)

Just popping in to say that wad rules. Love how in a lot of levels there is that one encounter which very frequently f*cks up your attempt to complete the level in one sitting. :D

Maximum etarnal hailz to Danne and Ribbe for making a megawad that will forever be remembered as a monolith in the history of Doom wads! Fucking ey!