Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

[Classic-Style Megawad] Hell For Leather, Episodes 1+2

neEDMqn.png
(Should work with any Zdoom-family port)

Just when you thought you were DONE with DOOM™, a goreifying new chapter of the sci-fi horror saga is gearing up to bash your brains in! The smelly high school dropouts at Carnal Software hereby present HELL FOR LEATHER™, an ichor-slurping expansion pack to Doom 2 that'll make you beg for mercy. Episodes 1 and 2 are downloadable below. CONTACT OUR SERVERS, IF YOU DARE™©.©™™®™©™®™®®

TRIPLE-A FEATURES:
-18 (and counting) all-new 3D hellholes to explore and devastate!
-Vein-popping heavy rock soundtrack!
-Gritty new texture graphics in full 256 color glory!

>> EPISODE ONE, "BORN TO DIE" <<
>> EPISODE TWO, "THE KISS OF JUDAS" <<

1tQDTmLm.jpgg5Dh3OZm.jpg
KGbr65lm.jpggwqC3JZm.jpg
jAgaLEvm.jpgMCV9H5Nm.jpg

[box art]

The Story so Far...

You beat them in space, you kicked them off the Earth,
you even scaled the stinking sulfur mountains of Hell.
And yet...

Mars haunts the skyline of your every dream, and Earth
has been left a massive waste; crops won't grow. Attempts
to repopulate yield bizarre, unpredictable results. It's as
if Hell has wormed its way into the bedrock of the planet.

To make matters worse, one of the UAC's last functioning
terrestrial facilities--which was researching these crises--
went dark 48 hours ago. No one knows for sure what
happened down there, but one look at the reports and
you have a pretty good idea.

Facilities flooded with human blood; soldiers mutilated
into satanic effigies; a tank-sized beast wandering the
complex. Ah Hell, you've seen this B-movie before.

They're sending you in, again, to find out what happened
to the research team. This time, they're not even
going to bother sending backup.

Edited by Gifty

I'll take a look at the levels themselves later but you're getting an A+ from me just for presentation, right here. :) Looks like it'll be right up my alley.

rdwpa said:

I wish there was an option to receive floppies by mail. DL-ing that will take ages on my 28.8.

Floppy member?

No, no no, Softdisk.

Softdisk. Softdissscks. Softdicks.
DISK. Sorry, disk. Softdisk.

Urgh, didn't know Mediafire did captchas as well as surprise full-window ads and malfunctioning Download buttons. Use Dropbox or something, Mediafire sucks more ass than a colonoscopy clinic after New Years.

EDIT: Won't work in ZDoom, something about a bad texture directory. I'll see if I can troubleshoot.

EDIT EDIT: There's a blank texture in there that needs deleting from the TEXTURES lump. Also the TEK patch with the transparent triangle panels has the same name as an existing patch.

Yeah every single fucking time I use Mediafire and some other sites it gives me a fullscreen advert for Roblox. It doesn't even get stopped by adblock since it's just opening the window to the Roblox sign up page in full screen.

That's really weird, I've pretty much only had good experiences with mediafire, never got any shit from them. I can throw up a dropbox link, though.

I'm also not getting the texture error, I don't know if we're using different versions of Zdoom or what; can anyone else confirm that they're getting it or not?

I get the same error as Obsidian. I was trying to run it with the good ol' ZDoom 2.7.1. Haven't tested latest builds.

Also got the error "Bad Texture Directory". Couldn't find the blank texture, but tried re-saving lump in Slade3. Didn't work. Downloaded newest 1693-dev version of ZDoom. Got zdoom.pk3 error (I'm sure someone has let them know by now they put out a bad build). Downloaded yesterday's 1691-dev version. Wad loads fine under 32 and 64-bit ZDoom. Very weird.

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/

Works for me, I use GZDoom 2.0.05.

Pretty fun so far. Was this made with the jump button in mind? I notice some armor in level 2 I think can only be obtained by jumping.

I will say the first level, I wandered over to where the red keycard is first and got slaughtered. If I go elsewhere first and gather up plenty of shotgun ammo, then it's good. One downside to a really open design, you can go places in the wrong order.

No texture errors for me. I played through a few of the maps and really enjoyed them--great job! Very nice "polished classic" design overall. Map08 has the best use of the spider mastermind I've seen in a while.

I'll leave more detailed feedback if/when I finish the maps I skipped.

Played through the first few levels.

First, GREAT music!
Second, I really HATE timed/puzzles where you have to be perfect. Especially to get secrets. They're well-designed, but I hate them. I could not lower the lift and run around in time to trigger the door open to get the Soul Sphere in MAP01. After 15 minutes of trying, I just clipped through the wall. I'm not good enough.

Missing texture in MAP09. Wanted to post this before I forget again.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7phehr95nmslq7o/HFL.png

Aside from my timing issues, fun so far.

Glad to hear at least some of you are enjoying it, I'm really sorry about the texture errors, especially since I'm stuck away from my computer and can't fix it for several hours. I have a hunch that my dev build version of ZDoom is circumventing the problem, whereas the 2.7.1 stable is getting stuck. I'll test with the stable as soon as I possibly can and try to figure out what the deal is.

Kind of a dumb question, but for the people who have texture bugs, are you using the right IWAD for the job? Despite the whole "nine level shareware episode one" thing, it's for Doom II, not Ultimate Doom.

I tried the same thing as EffinghamHuffnagel, and get the same result as s/he did. I'm using Freedoom: Phase 2 as IWAD.

Gez said:

Kind of a dumb question, but for the people who have texture bugs, are you using the right IWAD for the job? Despite the whole "nine level shareware episode one" thing, it's for Doom II, not Ultimate Doom.

I used Doom II. Like I said, there's a completely empty texture in there that prevents the wad from running, nothing else.

Yep. Found it this time. There's a blank MFALL4 entry in the Textures lump between LFALL3 and the regular MFALL1-4 entries. Deleting the entry and re-saving the Texture lump in Slade fixes the problem, but I think it's more likely that the entry should be re-named to LFALL4 and an actual LFALL4 texture added to the wad, since that one is missing.

Edit: Odd that newer versions of ZDoom allow missing textures lump entries without giving critical errors. Didn't realize that was a common error that needed 'fixing'.

ALRIGHT, I wrangled up a computer where I could install the necessary tools to fix this shit. I've updated the wad with the offending texture lump removed; we can find the actual texture that was meant to go in that slot later, but since the lava fall texture isn't used in this episode, we should be ok for now. Apologies again for the bullshitty launch, hope you enjoy the levels! C:

(some of the more minor texture flubs will be taken care of soon, but I'm still separated from my reg'lar workstation so there'll be a short wait period)

That's where it was from! I recognized the GLOWx textures but I hadn't seen them used anywhere else and couldn't place them.

Really liked MAP04. Flowed nicely. Great use of level heights. Lots of fun. I'm not sure you can legally get the Plasma Gun in single-player. The problem is the hidden door leading to the Berserk secret. Waiting for it to open delays you just long enough to be able to see the door to the Plasma Gun room close. Is there supposed to be another way to keep that door open?

Clean-up issue: The Plasma Gun room has 5 sectors tagged as secret inside it.

As much as I liked MAP04, that's how much I didn't like MAP05. The dissonance of the music was giving me a headache, I kept getting lost, I had no idea where the Blue Key was, and then a slaughtermap room with 7 Barons when you grab the Yellow Key. I hadn't found the BFG by then. I also couldn't score the Megasphere secret to save my life.

It felt like a slog and a little like things were added just to add them. I found a Rocket Launcher and 30 seconds later found another one. I found a Blue Armor and then down the hall found another one. Also two Green Armors and two Backpacks. Almost like there were two partial maps stuck together. Odd.

This wad is bloody great! Just blasted through the whole thing, love the classic style and frantic gameplay, and the soundtrack is perfect. The flow of the maps is really nicely done, feels like playing doom 1 with doom 2 monsters. Good choice to leave out the SSG too.

The only bug I found was on map08 where I managed to get stuck here:

Will there be more episodes?

I'm gonna throw this for a loop and do some recording for it.

Question! What are the sources for the music?

EDIT: I'm back at my computer, and have just updated the WAD with some minor fixes. Remember not to download if you've got a save file half way through the thing! Changelog:

-fixed unnecessary secret tags in Map04 plasma secret
-fixed missing textures in Map09
-fixed alcove in Map08 where the player could get stuck behind a lift
-reduced number of barons in Map05 yellow room
-removed redundant rocket launcher in Map05
-switched around some more redundant items in Map05
-raised blue key platform in Map05 so it's more obvious when it lowers

mouldy said:

Will there be more episodes?

That's my hope! I'm working on episode 2 right now.

Glaice said:

I'm gonna throw this for a loop and do some recording for it.

Question! What are the sources for the music?

Groovy, man! I would be super grateful if you did. Also I wrote all the music myself.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Waiting for it to open delays you just long enough to be able to see the door to the Plasma Gun room close. Is there supposed to be another way to keep that door open?

Nope; it's a little tricky, but I can get in there most times. It seems like the timed secrets are giving you a lot grief; are you maybe using an alternate control scheme? I tested all the timed doors pretty heavily, so I know they're doable, but it doesn't sound like you're getting the same experience.

Also wow, I don't know what the deal is with all those item redundancies in Map05. I played through it a million times and somehow that stuff didn't register.

ACHTUNG!
TO: All the droogs out there in murderland
RE: Your DOOM™

*BURN AFTER READING*

Already puke-sick of the first episode? GOOD, so are we! Carnal is sleeping by day and working by night to make it all better. Come viddy and platch at some (very) early screenshots of the new levels!
Carcosa
Occult
Bleedout
Electricastle

I have found this glitching switch texture in MAP01 in Zandronum. Zandronum doesn't properly handle textures with non-power-of-2 dimensions when they're offset beyond one tile and/or improperly unpegged. There might be more of these bugs on other places, I've seen them in many wads, but I don't know, as I've just started playing your demo. Looks really good!