Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

The map set is completed and nxGangrel is working on putting together the beta as we speak.

GOTHICTX.wad texture pack required. Found here: http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/Gothic-DeathMatch-2-Graphical-Resource-PWAD

Maplist:

Spoiler

-Starbase levels-
Map 01 Entryway: TraceOfSpades

Map 02 Underhalls: TraceOfSpades

Map 03 The Gantlet: nxGangrel and TraceOfSpades

Map 04 The Focus: Tactical Stiffy

Map 05 The Waste Tunnels: Tactical Stiffy

Map 06 The Crusher: ArchivileHunter

-Hell base levels-
Map 07 Dead Simple: Wildmajora

Map 08 Tricks and Traps: nxGangrel

Map 09 The Pit: Ninehills42

Map 10 Refueling Base: Muumi

Map 11 Circle of Death: Joe-Ilya

-City levels-
Map 12 The Factory: SotaPoika

Map 13 Downtown: nxGangrel

Map 14 The Inmost Dens: nxGangrel

Map 15 Industrial Zone: nxGangrel

Map 16 Suburbs: Tactical Stiffy

Map 17 Tenements: Scotty

Map 18 The Courtyard: Joe-ilya

Map 19 The Citadel: SotaPoika

Map 20 Gotcha!: Wildmajora

-Hell levels-
Map 21 Nirvana: Joe-ilya

Map 22 The Catacombs: nxGangrel

Map 23 Barrels o' Fun: TraceOfSpades

Map 24 The Chasm: nxGangrel and Scotty

Map 25 Bloodfalls: ArchivileHunter

Map 26 The Abandoned Mines: ArchvileHunter

Map 27 Monster Condo: Tactical Stiffy

Map 28 The Spirit World: Tactical Stiffy

Map 29 The Living End: nxGangrel

Map 30 Icon of Sin: TraceOfSpades and Scotty

Neato map, reminded me of demonfear
Also nice ceiling detail :s

Not sure if I can help though; I haven't been able to commit myself to mapping lately at all. Near-end-of-summer-break laziness and stress I guess :/

I do like the idea of a Doom 2 replacement that has the goal of just, say, if underhalls had a set number of main areas then the replacement should have the same amount, and shotgunguys teleporting from a secret visible room and the like.

I was originally thinking since we've got Doom they way id did, and Doom 2 in name only already I won't join in. But to FUCK with it. I'll join in to do the American Mcgee maps. (Not all of them)

Once I'm no longer busy, which may be a while, I take my fav level; The Inmost Dens.

Also is this project limit removing? Or vanilla? I'm assuming it's the former.

As much as I LOVE ZDoom...my nostalgia needs tickling. Just straight up Doom 2 format, vanilla. I'd like to keep it simple, with a heavier focus on gameplay and interesting combat scenarios rather than super extravagant architecture.

Also, thank you Cupcake for the compliment. I assume you're referring to the inset lights in the first and second areas, yes?

You say this is for vanilla, yet linedef 30 has a Boom action (15402, does not work in vanilla). Also, if you're mapping for vanilla, make sure you test with ChocoRenderLimits to avoid overflows like these:

The first is caused by the unusual ceiling lights, and the second is caused by the differently coloured floor tiles, and the fact that each brown tile is its own sector, not including the sectors being split by the skylights on the ceiling.

Just for shits and giggles (and I'll think I'll throw this little easter egg in all of the maps I make from now on), I added an open deck of cards with just the Ace of Spades laying out in front of the corpse. It's my literal calling card.

AD_79 said:

You say this is for vanilla, yet linedef 30 has a Boom action (15402, does not work in vanilla). Also, if you're mapping for vanilla, make sure you test with ChocoRenderLimits to avoid overflows like these:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106557511/tos_entryway_overflows.png

The first is caused by the unusual ceiling lights, and the second is caused by the differently coloured floor tiles, and the fact that each brown tile is its own sector, not including the sectors being split by the skylights on the ceiling.

That's so strange...I didn't map this in Boom format. Hmm...well, thanks for letting me know. I'll have it fixed.

EDIT: Actually, screw it. Just do it in Boom and limit removing. I just remembered that I started in Boom then switched to Doom 2. All the linedef actions still worked for me, so I didn't store it into my memory to remember that I originally did it in boom. Also, limit removing will give the mapper more power.

Ooh, just today I was thinking of doing a Barrels 'o Fun remake called A Barrel 'o Laughs. What I had in mind requires infinitely tall actors to be turned off, though.

Here's the beginning of Underhalls so far. You start in the elevator that you walked into at the end of Entryway.

I'm tempted, yet I sense I probably will need to brush up on some tutorials in order to remember how everything fits together.

Tactical Stiffy said:

Playtested it just now, dude. I like it a lot! My only issue is that you have an exit switch. I'm trying to avoid those at all costs. Would you be willing to change the exit room to a W1 Exit Linedef Action so that whoever does Map05 can have something to use as a starting area? I want to have aesthetic continuity between maps like in Scythe.

Other than that, I found your map to be a blast!

mind if I help out with this? im a semi-beginner and would like to do map09, if i need a partner / someone else who want to do it with me, just PM me, i like to chat thorough skype, so send me details.

TraceOfSpades said:

My only issue is that you have an exit switch. I'm trying to avoid those at all costs. Would you be willing to change the exit room to a W1 Exit Linedef Action so that whoever does Map05 can have something to use as a starting area?

Sure can do. I also added a little more detail to the map and changed the green slime to brown slime instead.

I have posted a demo version of Underhalls for somebody to playtest. The link is in the maplist in the original post.

Also, would anybody be interested in joining in on Map09 The Pit?

TraceOfSpades said:

I have posted a demo version of Underhalls for somebody to playtest. The link is in the maplist in the original post.

I've discovered several errors: Chaingunner's lifts are one-time only, they should be repeatable. The blue key trap opens only after the player walks through a certain window, but it's not clear that he's supposed to do it, I almost haven't found it and thought the map was broken. Triggering this trap also raises a bridge to the building which I was already in, but the bridge has a missing lower texture. The wide door next to the nearby teleporter has missing textures on its sides.

scifista42 said:

I've discovered several errors: Chaingunner's lifts are one-time only, they should be repeatable. The blue key trap opens only after the player walks through a certain window, but it's not clear that he's supposed to do it, I almost haven't found it and thought the map was broken. Triggering this trap also raises a bridge to the building which I was already in, but the bridge has a missing lower texture. The wide door next to the nearby teleporter has missing textures on its sides.

The bridge raises so that the demons can have access to you, there is a berserk pack in the window to lure you there, the chaingunner lifts are S1 by design (if you don't go on them fast enough, you miss out), and the missing textures are actual errors and I will fix them. Thank you for pointing them out.

I've probably picked up the Berserk without going through the window and triggering the trap, then forgot that it existed. You could place the trap-triggering linedef a little earlier anyway, so that this wouldn't happen to anybody.

scifista42 said:

I've probably picked up the Berserk without going through the window and triggering the trap, then forgot that it existed. You could place the trap-triggering linedef a little earlier anyway, so that this wouldn't happen to anybody.

Noted, and it will be adjusted.