Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

"Multiplayer" section on DW revival?

Would you like to see a Multiplayer section?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Multiplayer section?

• Yes, I love coop, deathmatch, survival, CTF and more!
    • No, I have zero interest in that stuff.

(Only posting this here because you can't make polls in Doom General.)

I'm curious how many of you are into the multiplayer aspect of Doom. Of course we have the forums for the various online source ports, but other than Zandronum those forums go unfortunately neglected.

Are you interested in multiplayer/MP maps/CTF/Survival/etc? Would you personally like to see a multiplayer section here on DW? I know I certainly would :)

I definitely think it could be more popular this time around, and everyone would (theoretically) make a collective effort to keep stupidity or drama to a minimum.

Many of the great megawads we all love over the years are enhanced by cooperative (or especially survival) gameplay. If you've never tried it before I highly recommend it.

Unsure how to get DOOM working for multiplayer? CLICK HERE!

I haven't played any multiplayer in a long time, my internet connection situation hasn't been the same since I moved out. But I still feel it kinda sucks that we have to be segregated. I don't really know who any of the top duel/deathmatch/ctf players are. It would be nice to have a one-stop location to know what's going on in multiplayer doom world. Also if there was a Fantasy Doom CTF League where I got to watch demos and bet on who would win, I'd at least participate in that too.

40oz said:

Also if there was a Fantasy Doom CTF League where I got to watch demos and bet on who would win, I'd at least participate in that too.

We're all gamers and we haven't done this yet? Heck, I'd be kinda into that, and I'm not a competitive online player at all!

There was a Multiplayer forum before and it was a ghost town. We've talked of reviving it, but we're concerned it would just be a ghost town again.

People raised valid points/complaints about the news forum basically being nothing but announcements for just a few of the weekly multiplayer events across the 3 main ports. A multiplayer subforum could be used for that, and maybe also releases of multiplayer WADs and stuff.
The news forum itself would benefit IMO from more varied stuff, like releases of big projects and stuff, though of course there's a fine line on what's newsworthy there.

I think reviving the section is worth a shot, at least.

I'd say it's worth a shot; see how things go, then if it is indeed Ghost Town 2: Ectoplasm Boogaloo then bin it again.

All things considered, it would certainly make arranging times for Vanilla/Choco/Crispy sessions much easier.

I would start playing multiplayer again (unfortunately, I have fuck all time to start priv matches on a serious level again) the problem is that you, you Aussie bastard, are never on when I am! :)

Linguica said:

We've talked of reviving it, but we're concerned it would just be a ghost town again.

If multiplayer news get redirected there, it may not be just a ghost town. The problem is that they'll lose the Doomworld home page visibility.

I've always loved Doom's classic DM modes. No fluff. Just death. And spawn camping with the SSG. I'd love to participate in MP stuff more often

I like the idea, but I'd also like MP event posts to be visible on the main page "somehow" as well. It seems that they're attracting the passing guests far more than existing DW users.

printz said:

If multiplayer news get redirected there, it may not be just a ghost town. The problem is that they'll lose the Doomworld home page visibility.

As Marcaek said above, if this can somehow be implemented without losing homepage visibility that would be swell. For all we know DW misses out on some potential users because they see there's nowhere for them to do purely MP oriented stuff besides the other Dooming forums which aren't quite as "big and central" as DW is to the community.

Springy said:

I would start playing multiplayer again (unfortunately, I have fuck all time to start priv matches on a serious level again) the problem is that you, you Aussie bastard, are never on when I am! :)

It's tragic!! I'd like to have some online matches again soon - My internet is at it's freakin' low peak right now and I've been jumping therough every damn ring of fire to get it "doom playable" .. tried WiFi extenders, powerline adapters, voodoo magic and praying the the various E-Gods all with no (permenant) luck :(

But I WILL get it fixed!

Clonehunter said:

I've always loved Doom's classic DM modes. No fluff. Just death. And spawn camping with the SSG. I'd love to participate in MP stuff more often

I'm glad to hear it, that's the kind of interest I've been hoping to generate :)

My favorite multiplayer game of all time is Quake World - incredible fun and fast as hell, now I'm playing in Quake Live(Clan Arena). Can't wait to see BlueStreak("true PC arena shooter" (c) Cliffy B., father of Unreal) vs. Doom vs. new UT.

Linguica said:

There was a Multiplayer forum before and it was a ghost town. We've talked of reviving it, but we're concerned it would just be a ghost town again.

What if there were official Doomworld events like they had Saturday Night ROTT over on Rise of the Triad 2013?

Not sure about you guys actually hosting servers or anything but it's a cool idea.

As long as the admins allows smack talk between players in that section - that is part of the fun, too. Otherwise, it will be nothing but happy event/clan announcement.

Considering how retarded some of that can get, there's definitely an upper limit on what should be allowed as "smack talk".

seriously some people who have played this game are borderline or outright sociopaths

Linguica said:

My opinion: there are other forums dedicated to the multiplayer ports that cover this topic more effectively.

Marcaek said:

Considering how retarded some of that can get, there's definitely an upper limit on what should be allowed as "smack talk".

seriously some people who have played this game are borderline or outright sociopaths

You can call it drama if you want, it's not like all the dramafest will be easily viewed by the more sensitive anyway (unless the posts in the section are listed in the "view new posts"), they can always lurk/post in the other sections of the forum, and if they ever dare to spread their shit to the rest of the forum, let the powers that be and their hammer do the job, or for the reasonable user who knows when they should ignore.

Playful jabs are alright, but I agree with Marcaek on there needing to be a clear line of what is and isn't okay. I also agree with what Fraggle said.

I forgot - us OS centric deathmatch players currently have booming home forums!..... *Looks at Odamex/Zdaemon forums and sees tubleweeds rolling by*

Of course this ball isn't in my court, I just thought it would be worthwhile to give the people who aren't "super big on the multiplayer scene" somewhere to congregate for more casual playing. As the community is currently laid out, approximately 0 newbie deathmatchers are confident enough to step toe into a public server on any of the three source ports. I feel like a multiplayer section here might be a great way to organize matches/hangouts for those not ready to "piss into the wind" so to speak. With this setup, they'll have the time to fool with a few ports, have a few rounds, meet new friends and grow some confidence beforehand.

Obviously this is a generalization, but "Modern style" SP mappers mappers have ZDoom forums, and "OS Style" SP mappers have Doomworld. "Modern style" MP mappers have Zandronum, and OS style MP mappers have.... Uh.....

Besides, ZD and Odamex forums are just that - You're not exactly going to be organizing Chocolate, Vanilla, Doom Legacy, (insert other less common source port here) matches on those forums. I just feel like it's all stuff that needs a home but does not currently have one. I think the 17-4 ratio on the poll further reinforces this stance. I also feel it's a case of "if you build it, they will come."

Heck, even an official IRC channel, #DWmulti or something of that ilk on Quakenet or OFTC would be swell for getting real-time games up and running.

If I am wrong, worst case the subforum gets ousted again. I totally think it's worth a shot and I would be much obliged to see it happen. (See what I did there?)

I think an appropriate and attentive moderator should keep everything under control. I'd like to see more trash talk around here :)

I think it would be a nice place to post threads for multiplayer mapsets that often get overlooked and bumped on to page two of wads n mods because of community projects and beta testing megawads. What's the cost of having a subforum that doesn't get much activity? Probably not more than the community chest 4 subforum right?

I would love to see a DM game being set up every now and again where forum users compete for points, these points earn you something like a pretty little medal.jpeg or two under your name (or purhapse just a small number to indicate your wins?).

Then again most of us forum users would be uterly dismantled by IDL players or DM regulars, making this stupid idea even worse.

Yeah there is quite a bit of trash talk that goes on IRC, even the ZDaemon clans section used to be full of trash talk aimed at players, clans, even casual racism "Fuck you Euros/Mexicans,Americunts" etc. Also the admins/mods have been the targets of that stuff in the past. You need someone with a thick skin to handle each situation without any drama.

As long as it doesn't go into personal attacks, posting images from Facebook/the internet, constant profanity, nudity, or whatever I think a level of trash talk should be tolerated.

Not that I do it much, but trash-talking is part of what makes playing online fun. Without it you'll just have a bunch of quiet, might-as-well-be-bots [players] running around playing and never actually socializing. The mod would have to someone with thick skin, but then again it's a bunch of faceless names we're talking about here, how difficult can it be to just laugh at the bs? Anyone with some small level of management experience and a devotion to Doom[World] would make an excellent candidate. From my limited experience managing people, after that first tough firing/suspension (or "loser" or ban here), everything that follows is easy because you're just enforcing simple rules that are easy to follow and known in advance by all. But it's a fine line to walk, because people must also enjoy themselves.

Wow that was random, I had no intentions of typing that, but w/e.

Now that my Doom deathmatch cherry is popped, I'd be down for some DM or COOP or whatever with anyone (typically around this time of day, give or take 2 hours), though I still have a few more programs that I need to get, like IDE, odamex and zdaemon. Got Doom Seeker and Zan. though. I learn more each time I do this kind of stuff so even if you'll just whoop my ass I'm down for some punishment.

As most know, I'm one of the biggest MP advocates there are. My attempts at trying to get most Doomworld SP guys even remotely interested in looking at a multiplayer game is like banging my head against a wall. It's a rough game.

I'm not sure if it's just because of the difference in personalities drawn by each community or what. From what I've observed, the MP community is a lot more vocal and brazen in this regard (not even necessarily being rude, just more aggressive). SP guys can be pretty insular, even if it is just among their own group, and I think that the competitive atmosphere of the more established MP communities either doesn't appeal to them or literally scares them off. A mixture of "thin-skin" and not wanting to get dunked on for the first couple months leaves it as little more than a novelty to them and it's a shame.

Additionally, doomleague.org opened up a couple of new sub-forums for this sort of stuff last week. It will likely draw mostly players that are interested in the league, but there is certainly room for people that are simply interested and a wads/mods forum for anyone that wants to post maps. I'm sure that if quality map submissions were being posted there, you'd have an opportunity to see them be played. Some of the league's most popular maps come from the 32in24 series, made right here on good ol' Doomworld.

Also, the WDL is about to begin its playoff games next week. If you want to see some of the best Doom CTF players that the game has to offer, check out doomleague.org next week for the playoff schedule. They should be great games.

re: Fantasy CTF. We've discussed doing it with the WDL (http://doomleague.org). If there is any actual interest in this, please keep speaking up. It's a waste of time for us to set it up and then have like 3 people show up to do it for a week or two and then forget about it.

Fonze said:

I learn more each time I do this kind of stuff so even if you'll just whoop my ass I'm down for some punishment.

When you got yourself a copy of Odamex, feel free to join me and my friends at irc.quakenet.org #DMstuff. We'll play justabout any wad and any gamemode :) Of course I play a lot of Zan and Zdaemon too, so if you see me there and want to to some public Doomin, give a shout! (I'm just Doomkid literally everywhere)

Ralphis said:

Also, the WDL is about to begin its playoff games next week.

I plan to be there as much as humanly possible. I've so far loved every bit of exposure I'v gotten to WDL. On a side note - I'm happy to say my experience "converting" DW users into deathmatch fans isn't quite as "doom and gloom", I think having admin access to the WSC server cluster and being able to put any random WAD someone wants up and just fucking around and having fun have played a great role in this.

I'd love to participate in multiplayer as a spectator sport, but I have trouble keeping up with what's new and recent. Is there a demo archive somewhere I could watch? The links to the demos in the 2015 season of WDL seem to be broken. Also what source port do I need to watch them? I found a few doom multiplayer related youtube channels but their most recent videos are from years ago.

I guess what I'm saying is that I use Doomworld as my source of all doom related news so when major wad releases and source ports and events and other random doom stuff happens, I depend on that information being funneled to here.

While I understand the concept of the source ports' dedicated forums (Zando, ZDaemon, Odamex, etc) being more effective, I would love the ability to post ideas for multiplayer (such as coop) with fellow Doomworlders instead of having to reach other communities to do so.