Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Humor and low-stress fun as a mapping device.

I'm referring to deliberately implemented thing-centric humor with the stock Doom II mechanics and resources (or close enough to it) -- not cyberdemons accidentally getting stuck in clefts between structures where you can berserk fist them in the ass repetitively, or Dehacked files that make spiderdemons fly at 5x the speed of an arch-vile and spawn pain elementals. Or malicious trolls, silly music, custom Kim Jong-il graphics, sector penises, wall-detail vaginas, or anything like that.

Some examples:

1) Mancubuses waddling around on platforms that rise and fall perpetually.

2) Xaser's use of the nazi as a "boss" in his D2INO map.

3) Low-tier monsters placed in nooks directly behind barrels, destined to blow themselves into gibs.

I'm interested in maps that that use this sort of humor in interesting, unique ways. Not in the common ways: 1) Gratuitous barrel chains that have no strategic purpose but are there just so you can gib stuff. 2) Maps that encourage you to gib groups of low-tier enemies with the rocket launcher or berserk fist. 3) Monsters running in "circles" on narrow ledges.

Any examples?

rdwpa said:

2) Xaser's use of the nazi as a "boss" in his D2INO map

The Wolfenstein SS was unfortunately replaced with a custom boss on release. :P

I remember JMickle's map in NOVA II had a rather lengthy secret that awards you with 1 armor bonus. Also there was a set of maps Memfis found some time ago that had fake boxes of rockets for players to stumble upon, as well as a cardboard BFG.

I think my maps do that stuff a lot :s

EDIT: I re-read the OP, I guess JarJar's Last Pineapple Fritter might be something to look into :P

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/fritter.zip

DOUBLE EDIT: Doomguy's Pimp Ventures 2 & 3 I think has more than just cybie fisting :S

Warning: a bit lewd

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=themes/x-rated/i_am_old_enough_to_look_at_this/cybie2.zip

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=themes/x-rated/i_am_old_enough_to_look_at_this/cybie3.zip

Sorry I can't think of many maps with better examples of what you're looking for exactly

BTSX E2M20 (Speedtraps for the Bee Kingdom) has quite the ending which I won't spoil in case you somehow haven't played it yet.

The dark hallway in dwforums3 with the various signs warning you of impending horror, then you emerge and it's... a greek parthenon thing under a blue sky with classical music playing

Linguica said:

The dark hallway in dwforums3 with the various signs warning you of impending horror, then you emerge and it's... a greek parthenon thing under a blue sky with classical music playing

The old DW forum wads were some of the first Zdoom wads I had played after VOID, didn't get any of the references at the time but it was still fun! Perhaps I should revisit them some time!