Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

How do you make a slaughtermap?

i'm going to try to make a slaughtermap. The thing is, I never play slaughter maps. What makes a good slaughter map and what makes a shitty slaughtermap?

If you are looking for good slaughter maps to learn from, play Sunder.
If you are looking for bad slaughter maps to learn what not to do from, play Chillax.

Play some WADs like New Gothic Movement 1, Sunder or Deus Vult to see what good slaughter WADs play like. One of the main things to realise is that there's more to making a good slaughter map than just piling tons of enemies and weapons into a room.

You know, I was thinking about asking for advice on making this sort of map recently. Glad I don't have to now, seeing as that thread already exists.

Hey guys I want to compose a country song but I've never even listened to one. Any tips?

Honestly, there's no "theory" you can read on the internet that'll compare to actually playing and studying a slaughtermap or twenty.

make a room, put 50 revenants in it, a BFG, cell packs, and a soulsphere or maybe a megasphere if you're feeling generous.

Doomhuntress said:

holy fucking shit that MIDI file. my ears didn't see it coming.

Of course they didn't, they're ears. They don't see shit! ;P I was expecting the detuned Dragonforce MIDI from 32in24-14 myself.

Here's some tips I'm running off the top of my head.

It helps to give the player a backpack, a megasphere, a nice weapon or two, and more ammo than he'll ever need. With that, Doom guy is pretty close to unstoppable, so at that point just do whatever you think feels right. After that, take some things away to make it a bit harder.

Heavy with the projectile enemies, light on the hitscanners.

Monsters infighting is a good thing; if the player has to do ALL the work, it can be tedious to play. However, dont go too extreme or the player wont have to do any work at all. Keep like monsters near each other, put monsters on tall platforms, pillars, and ledges to keep them out of the way of crossfire, but still attack the player.

A complicated layout can be confusing and frustrating for the player when the main focus is projectile dodging, so large basic structures, symmetry (sometimes, not all the time) and high contrast color schemes help a ton.

Make a huge sized map and throw hundreds of monsters into the map. You'll also need a ton of ammo and weapons too, etc.

rdwpa said:

Hey guys I want to compose a country song but I've never even listened to one. Any tips?

Yeah, just make your song sound like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o

More on topic...

"Slaughtermap" is a pretty wide and vague term to the point of almost being useless to describe anything more than "map where you fight a ton of enemies at once." Some maps will provide a ton of resources/ammo (Serious Sam style) and a ton of room for the player to move and take advantage of his mobility. When doing this you can feel free to fill the level full of projectile enemies like barons, revenants, arachnatrons, cyberdemons, etc. Varying monster variety here usually helps too, since that's a benefit of the player's mobility (run around in circles, get them attacking each other). Others might severely limit mobility but still throw a huge wave of enemies at the player, usually requiring the player to be clever with positioning and use of weaponry to keep the front lines of enemies stunned. There's no one way to do it...