Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FanTazTiCxD

Single-level wad released! Containership.wad

Hello everybody! A couple of years back I released an 8-level episode doom wad. Some people liked it, some people didn't. However now, I'm back with something new and hopefully creative. And most of all, a great challenge that should be fun to play! I'm working on a wad with several levels, and for my second map I wanted to make a containership. But as I worked on it, the project seemed to become bigger and bigger, so now that I am FINALLY done with the containership level, I decided to share it here on doomworld, to get something out of my hard work!

The boring but nessesary information:

Download link: http://www.megafileupload.com/997i/Containership.wad
Requires textures from Doom II
Requires to be run from "zDoom in Hexen Format"
Requires the player to jump from platform to platform. Therefore, it's only suitable for zDoom

Story
You and your friend finally got away from hell in a boat, and now you're sailing on the open sea. However, as you tried to escape, a containership full of monsters caught up on you, and from the distance, they managed to kill your friend, who now lies dead on your boat. It's time to get your revenge!

This level gives you a 'Berserk' from the beginning, which you will have to use against all the imps that is onboard the ship. You could also use the pistol, but how effective is that? As you progress you will find better weapons to use, but most of them are hard to find, and the ammo will easily run low, if you don't use your fists effectively. All three keycards is required to get to the exit, unless you manage to find the secret exit that leads to level 31!

There is also a BFG9000 hidden in the map. But you have to be clever to find that! Don't cheat! Don't search for it in Doom Builder ;-)

You also have to go under the deck where you will find a bunch of different cargoboxes, the yellow keycard, and of course, more imps.

This position was accessed via "fly" mode.

...Best played on hard difficulty for the greatest challenge.

I hope you like it! Feel free to post anything you liked or not liked about it. If you spot a bug, please let me know

One last thing: It would be pretty cool if one of you wanted to record yourself playing the level with commentary. I'm really curious about hearing which reactions I get hehe :-)

Hey I really enjoyed this map! The visuals were great, gameplay was fun and the map overall was super interesting!

I did- for the sake of my sanity and fun- have to cheat somewhat to beat it on UV. Nothing felt impossible, but the biggest issue was the pain elementals/lost souls that very very quickly become completely unmanageable. However, aside from that (I console-command killed them all, sorry!) I found each challenge super cool and rewarding to beat. I didn't find the bfg or secret exit, but the megasphere near the start for sure came in handy. I wanted to save the invul til later but when I needed it most, I couldn't make my way back swiftly enough.

I had a lot of fun on this map, and I can't wait to see more :)

With such a wide open area around the ship, you should replace the PEs with Cacos.

Yeah, the pain elementals were also the only thing I thought that there might had been too many of. However, you can also see it as a challenge. The secret exit can be difficult to get to when there are lost souls everywhere... I think I'll replace them with cacodemons instead, and maybe leave one or two pain elementals to stay. But thanks for the nice words!

Here's a little hint for the secret exit: claustrophobia, boat

A hint for the BFG: Red key

Here's the weird way my mind works. I saw the thread title and thought "Containership. The state of having containers, or being a container (one who contains, as in stopping Demons from escaping)" I completely missed that it could actually be a Container Ship. I wondered it the sequels would be called Ownership, Fellowship, Workmanship, Lordship, Receivership, etc.

I smell a megawad.

I need sleep.

Hahahaha that was a good one! My wad definetely has the containership of monsters! :D

In my language the two or more words are typically combined, such as "containerskib" (container ship), "snemand" (snow man), and computerskærm (computer screen)

FanTazTiCxD said:

Hahahaha that was a good one! My wad definetely has the containership of monsters! :D

In my language the two or more words are typically combined, such as "containerskib" (container ship), "snemand" (snow man), and computerskærm (computer screen)

Stop pressen! Another Dane! :) I better check this out. Good ol' Maersk having one of his mighty ships overrun by demons sounds exciting!

Jeg kunne ikke lige finde en Mærsk texture hehe. Looking forward to hear about your experience with my level! Do you have bandicam? I would love to see others play my map!

By the way, this was very much inspired by a certain mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, where you go onboard a container ship to find enemies

I'll see if I can do this (record and later on post to Youtube channel) if I can download it :c Megafileupload is taking a while to load the page, see if Mediafire can work.

FanTazTiCxD said:

Jeg kunne ikke lige finde en Mærsk texture hehe. Looking forward to hear about your experience with my level! Do you have bandicam? I would love to see others play my map!

Hehe! Well, we aren't exactly spoiled with blue and orange textures/flats in Doom either, so you had your work cut out for you :) And I think you did allright! I love all the vivid colors of the containers and the general look of the ship. The trip down into the guts of the ship was a nice touch and a good break from the top fights.

Gameplay wise... ehhm, I'm not digging all that jumping and the massive maze like design of the entire map. I think I know why you did it, and I'm pretty sure there are fans out there for that kinda thing. But it's not for me. I get bored pretty quick and that tiny waste tunnel maze was really boring. Again, I see why you did it, but the shear length of it just had me wishing I would be over soon!

There's a novelty theme to the pwad which reaks of the nineties. This was the sorta thing people loved to do back then. If it wasn't their own house, it was a hotel or something from a known TV series (*cough* Star Trek *cough*). There are often nice things to look at it, but in the end, the most important thing is lost: Good gameplay.

If I were you, I'd skip some of all that jumping and maze tripping. The entire room with all the crates could be a machine room instead with scarce lighting and perhaps a fitting background sound. I'd also maybe look into figuring out how to do silent teleporter lines when you go below deck.

But hey, I still think it's a fun idea and it shows, that you put a lot of effort into it!

Chris Hansen said:

There are often nice things to look at it, but in the end, the most important thing is lost: Good gameplay.

That's like, just your opinion, man. (I thought the gameplay was great)

No problem guys! Criticism is fine and useful! I'm also glad to hear not everyone thought the gameplay was a bit boring. I don't think I added too much maze in this one though (I also find mazes kind of boring in doom) except for the tiny tunnel area, which is supposed to make you feel discouraged to enter (because of the reward it gives you if you find the switch, which opens up for the secret exit possibillity) Just my way of seeing it :-)

Glaice, I'm looking forward to see it, haha!

Also, why is it that so few people post their wads here on this forum? Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a list of weapons you can find in this map:

Berserk
Chainsaw (two locations)
Shotgun
Chaingun (one location, and several that can be picked up from chaingunners)
Rocket Launcer
BFG9000

FanTazTiCxD said:

Also, why is it that so few people post their wads here on this forum? Am I doing something wrong?

You're definitely not doing anything wrong! :) I don't know what you expected, but the amount of wads getting posted is pretty normal these days. It's going to be hard to come up with an explanation, and I think there are many reasons. A cautios guess for a few of them might be, that many of the modders around here are often involved in some sort of lengthy project or megawad. And I think there are quite a few modders that also just release directly to /idgames. That's two reasons on the top of my head and there are probably many more.

But don't be discouraged and keep releasing your stuff here :)

Oh okay, good to hear! Because I heard of a different website where people release their wads at, and I thought that was the way to go... Anyways, I'm glad to hear what you guys are saying. A couple of years back when I released my previous wad, people were a bit rude to me. But at the same time, I wasn't that good at speaking english, so I made it worse lol :P

"Also please don't say anything about map errors. I want to hear what parts you liked, or else don't comment, okay?" ...or something, hehe

I wonder what UAC crate haters will have to say about that ;-)

Okay, I have played through the level and I did enjoy something different other than a tech or hell interior. Going from box to box did require some strategy due to the air control for GZDoom.

I did like the way you can go inside with the teleporter effect, and the level wasn't overly difficult. My recording of the map I finished with like 59% kills as I didn't bother wasting my time getting rid of the monsters on the bow (front) of the ship.

Having to use berserk for a while was fun and I did have my struggles. I would give this a high 3 out of 5 for the originality and enjoyment factor.

Do not forget to upload this to /idgames/!

Thank you very much for putting out this video! It's always a pleasure seeing someone else playing your maps (using "always" even though this is my first time :P) Did you record as you played it through the first time, or had you tried the level before recording? You seemed to know it pretty well some places

I'm glad you liked it! I hoped you'd find one of the secrets though... :( There's a rocket launcher, two chainsaws and a BFG and a secret exit. I'll make sure to upload it to idgames some time. I'm working on a small wad where this map is included. I'm not sure if there is going to be more than four levels in it though (secret level included) with this level being the second after a small and easy first level like E1M1... okay maybe a little more complex.

Then I'm soon done with the third level, which I will call "The References" I think, due to the high amount of E1 easter eggs in it. It's a level with the design of the shareware episode, full of these small little references to the original episode, like demons in a pool of slime surrounded by barrels that is being shown just after pressing a switch that lowers the wall in front of you (as in E1M8)

I think that is going to be my best map so far

Seeing people play my maps makes me want to create more :D