Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Those super awesome looking GZDoom survival horror screenshots/trailer?

I honestly can't remember what it was called but it was this awesome looking survival horror mod that uses GZDoom and makes it look like something 10 years newer than Doom. It was very blue/grey, dark, foggy, had zombies and that no-combat-run-away sort of vibe to it.

I know there was a trailer for this somewhere but I can't remember the title.

Also no it's not Chu's game.

Holy Shit! O_o

That's like Dawn of Reality ON CRACK!

I really like this shot for some reason (where they prove it's really GZDoom):

I wish there was a mod that looked this great, but with bog standard Doom enemies.

Edit: Dumb grammar.

Six said:

I wish there was a mod that looked with great, but with bog standard Doom enemies.

Dawn of Reality?

@Da Werecat: is there some other port offering the same visuals and scriptability but with significantly less overhead, that we're not aware of?

Maes said:

Dawn of Reality?

Doesn't quite have the same appeal. The Quality and atmospheric lighting in comparison overshadows DoR.

Still, Total Chaos is in a whole new league of its own. Pretty incredible what can be accomplished with something like GZDoom. Although it goes without saying (like it has been already), Why GZDoom? Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with that choice, but given the variety of options available...

Da Werecat said:

I'll rephrase: why using a Doom port at all?

It is a functional high quality engine finely crafted to make the best out of the underlying systems. Any stand-alone game with altered game-play code trough C or scripting would have nothing to do with doom next to the history of the original engine code-base and the code-base its license. Especially in an engine as extremely amped up as GZdoom (and alike).

People should just use what works for them, what they understand, and what they like, while being legal for their usage. This way they could be happy with what they do while creating what they want.

The engine's relation to Doom doesn't bother me. It's the fact that the engine wasn't really made with such visuals in mind, and probably won't be nearly as fast as a true 3D engine.

Six said:

Why GZDoom? Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with that choice, but given the variety of options available...

Not sure what I'm missing, but to me it's the best Doom port available? Especially for what they're going for here.

Do you mean why not the Half-Life engine or something like that?

I was just echoing Da Werecat's question. Not the matter of other Doom ports.

yeah, you could have learnt source engine from scratch and ended up with a complete, better running, better looking project completed in the time it's taken to make this run in gzdoom

edit: however, the only reason it's impressive is cause of the fact it's running in gzdoom. it looks pretty ok but nothing that would blow you away if you didn't know that.

This is Doomworld right? A place for people who like to do stuff with the Doom engine? Sure, stuff can be done with other games but we're here because we like messing with Doom. :)

SavageCorona said:

words

what the fuck why arent you ever in dmstuff anymore, stop being injured already[/ridiculously offtopic]

Yeah, I'm with Enjay on this one - I'm glad the author didn't spend time on more "sensible" things like a new engine because the fact that this is a Doom mod means I really want to play it. I remember seeing stuff on this one before but man, it's really starting to come together!

It's not even that (for me anyway). I edit Doom stuff. I like doing it. I like how I can access it quickly, easily and get the results that I want. I know it inside out. I don't have to think about the boring stuff and I can just get on with the stuff that I enjoy. I have little interest in learning a newer engine. I've messed around with a few over the years but that's not where the fun lies for me. I mod for me, so I do what's fun for me. So I guess that does actually makes Doom practical for my modding interests.

There is always someone suggesting "why don't you do this in [insert newer engine here]? However, as I said, this is Doomworld. People interested in Doom are here. People interested in modding for other engines post their stuff in other communities. Suggesting using another engine on Doomworld is a bit weird to me. Also, sometimes, part of the fun is doing stuff in Doom that pushes things a bit; that people don't expect Doom to be able to do. This mod seems to be doing a fine job of that.

Most of the engines that have been suggested over time now look almost as dated as Doom to the modern gamer anyway.

Too bad it does that stupid thing where it fades the edges of the screen to black for whatever reason.

I don't even know why that's a thing.

Jaxxoon R said:

Too bad it does that stupid thing where it fades the edges of the screen to black for whatever reason.

Do you mean letterboxing? I guess for that "cinematic feel".

Enjay said:

However, as I said, this is Doomworld. People interested in Doom are here. People interested in modding for other engines post their stuff in other communities.

I don't see any of the authors here.

Anyway. An indie game was mentioned. The engine choice seemed weird to me. I questioned said choice. Should I really care if the game was mentioned on Doomworld or Inside3D?

xnv said:

Do you mean letterboxing? I guess for that "cinematic feel".

No no no, not the letterboxing, I said fading. Like this here where the left and right edges of the screen get all blury and dark.

Da Werecat said:

I don't see any of the authors here.

Anyway. An indie game was mentioned. The engine choice seemed weird to me. I questioned said choice. Should I really care if the game was mentioned on Doomworld or Inside3D?

Wad'a'Holic is a member here and has been since 2004, albeit his last post here being in mid-to-late 2012. Also, it's not an indie game so much as, "an upcoming total conversion mod," so yeah. It might matter.

Jaxxoon R said:

Also, it's not an indie game so much as, "an upcoming total conversion mod," so yeah.

And the difference is?

Indie games usually are stand-alone and self-contained.

TCs are built on top of another game but replace everything. Still relying on a preexisting game to function.

That doesn't seem to be necessary with Total Chaos. The authors could easily make it a standalone game, if they wanted.

But it's their choice, of course.