Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What's the weirdest shit we've done with Doom?

I thought about what makes a Doom mod "out there." There are joke wads and terry wads, sure, but the truly "out there" ones are the ones that make you go, "Well, that's certainly different." I'm not an expert on this subject, but I will say that, while quite old, the Sonic and Batman Doom mods that basically changed almost every asset (and in some ways even basic gameplay) are pretty interesting examples. But those are also gimmicky because they're based on popular franchises. What are some other examples?

Okay, let's be clear here: When I say "weird," I'm not necessarily talking about uncomfortably sexual. They're weird but pretty crappy. The one Ling posted is...peculiar, but boring. None of this is really truly weird.

Are you going to play these "truly weird" mods while high on magic mushrooms? Because THAT would be truly weird indeed. Please report on the experience.

Foreverhood? Not sure I have the name right because it's not showing on the archive for me.

mMybe more random than weird, but still the weirdest thing i saw:

grezzo 2

I wont post a link, don't know if it is too offensive.

Any ZDaemon survival night mod can be pretty weird.

@kmxexii
I laughed so hard. But now i am in fear that the concept of comedy is completely spoiled for me.

Editing a diaper onto an Imp on my earlier days of editing. Yes, I am serious.

I have absolutely nothing left of it (was on an old computer that died, never backed it up), but I started work on a Doom mod that turned the game into a firefighting game. Never got very far with it, but I did actually have the basic concept up and working. Basically, I altered the Lost Soul so that its sprite was replaced with the Archvile flame. I set its movement speed to zero, and the frame pointer for every frame of its walking animation to the Demon attack. This led to the flames being stationary and instantly causing damage to you if you got close to them (originally, I was gonna use the explosion code pointer, but then two flames couldn't be near each other without immediately extinguishing each other). I modified the plasma rifle so that the projectiles had gravity, to mimic a fire hose. Oh, and the best part was, I set the code pointer of the actual attack animation of the flames to that of the Pain Elemental, so that every so often, a flame would spawn new flames - that way I could actually have the fire spread.

It certainly wasn't perfect - for one thing, because the flames spawned via Pain Elemental attack, even though they were generally stationary, when a new one spawned it would fly across the room at you. But I thought it was an interesting idea to completely change the way Doom worked, anyway, and I had a little fun with it in a simple house map I made to test the concept out. Eventually, I had planned to have multiple levels with different scenarios, people you had to rescue (in place of keys), etc., but I lost interest before I got that far.

Partly I gave up on it because of boredom, and partly because I realized the idea would never stop seeming silly, because everything was just hacked together via DeHacked, so there were painfully obvious problems with it that I knew I could never get rid of. Still, I would certainly chalk it up to being the most radically different mod from the original game that I've ever worked on.

geekmarine said:

Stationary flame "enemy"

I think that Strain did the same thing with their Guardian enemy, which were flying spawn cubes with a machine gun. When killed, they would drop to the ground, catch fire, and damage the player if he got too close. No idea if they also damaged other things or each other while in this state.