Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

The first PWAD you ever played?

Andrew Sheppard's Doom II Collection

So you thought the war was over when you blasted the Icon's brain to bits, eh? Now there is a whole horde of demons trapped on earth, and they want revenge! Be warned that these 8 levels are intended for Doom II masters; novices need not apply. Aside from that, they might have been made by the id authors themselves.

Original source: http://www.gamers.org/~williams/doom2_wads.html

I can't remember exactly, but it was one from Maximum Doom, which didn't include most of the text files, and also left out dehacked patches, or neglected to mention replaced sprites in the wads. Wunderbar.

I can remember playing one with a night sky and lots of silver, in Doom 95. And another which was supposed to be set in a shopping mall. You were supposed to chainsaw through "breakable walls", but without the dehacked patch, they were cyberdemons! I probably played that one after discovering Doom Legacy, and it's all-important launcher (I knew nothing of command lines, or even drag-n-dropping, back then. It was my first PC). In fact, being able to run any wad I liked in Maximum Doom without crashes or weirdness made me so excited, I ran up the garden to tell my parents.

I also remember playing a "Batman" wad, because I'd heard Batman Doom was amazing. But this Batman wad was just a 1994 level with the Batman logo in one room. I can remember thinking it was nothing very special XD.

A bit later on, a favourite of mine was city2.wad. In fact, I might have to go and get it off the archives, for a bit of nostalgia.
EDIT: Oh, okay, not city2.wad, that's a rather naff series of DM maps with added Beavis and Butthead sound effects.

nicolas monti said:

DooM 3: Mr Smiley's Head Safari, circa 1996

Crappy and amazing all at once, great music and funny sound effects.

Same here. Although it's a pirated Iwad, and not a Pwad.

I remember vaguely this mod I think may have been sg-[something] and it came in two parts being the weapons and the maps. I got confused as to how to load them together because I was an idiot and I didn't know how to load multiple wads since I just double clicked them in the wads folder. I remember it had the Duke RPG and shotgun as well as the railgun from Shadow Warrior in it.

Either that or it was Invasion UAC on ZDaemon.

Something like area51.wad. I don't remember much about the level except I think it was predominantly silver, had a weird scale and a lot of corridors. I might be mistaking it with another DZone! Wad. I only remember picking out ones with real place names. I think there might have been an Alcatraz.wad and a fortknox.wad too. The earliest PWAD that I early remember playing was set on a big wooden ship in a nukage ocean. I remember it had a bunch of sargeants and a teleport trick to give the appearance of having an upper and lower deck.

First early WADs that I know enough about to find from the archive now would be 10 Sectors, Scythe and Classic Episode. These will have been when I returned to Doom around 2003 and used the 10 years of Doom article to find new levels.

Really can´t remember that. I only know that i´ve got a CD with lots of custom maps for doom, doom2 and dark forces as well. The CD had a german title...

:\

I think I was playing Slige maps on some Doomday 1.8.6 beta with 3d model addons, wtf were you thinking old me?

The only ones i remember (and still have) are pwads mapped by me and a friend circa 2007 when my own personal doom craze was at its peak. So i am going to label them as the first ones. It is odd but i generally do not like most Pwads (not even the so called best) at all so my mind just fades their memory.

Doom Barracks Zone, that fun ZDoom-scripted stuff designed for multiplayer, but also can be played on single. Damn, it's been like 5 and a half years since I first ever launched a PWAD after asking one of my friends to tell me how to.

The Simpsons Doom (1994 version) for Doom 1. It has aged like milk...

Icarus and Memento Mori tied for maps. I still hold nostalgia for these.

joe-ilya said:

That's a PK3, not a Pwad.

It's possible to have a skin in Wad format for Skulltag just so you know, but yeah i don't remember if it was a wad or a Pk3 .

The first one I finished was Icarus- Alien Vanguard.

Before that it probably would have been something off ZDaemon years ago, perhaps something like UAC Invasion that I used to like playing on co-op a bit.