Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Has anyone played all or most of /idgames?

I wonder if anyone has managed to complete playing all level PWADs from /idgames, at least for one of the games. Or is it impossible in the Doom 2 case?

It is times like this when I wish ports had some idgames integration and player ranking/hall of fame.

It just sounds like a good challenge to explore and finish the entire Doom. Today, since all I could do was sit home, I just player several Heretic wads in chronological order. Heretic should be more manageable, if it hasn't bren done already (by Naan?). There are only about 275 single player Heretic zips in total. Each pwad had something unique about it, they all felt worth playing, even if some were broken or 2-star worth. It was like watching episodes of a series.

Even trying to play all wads that are actually worth playing would consume at least 10 years of your life. I mean, the time altogether just playing, minus your eating, sleeping, work, free time, etc.

printz said:

I wonder if anyone has managed to complete playing all level PWADs from /idgames, at least for one of the games.

I think TimeOfDeath was working his way through them in chronological order some time back, but I've no idea how far he progressed.

I've obviously not played anywhere NEAR all of them, but I often find myself digging through old DM maps from 1994-2000. Probably played a few hundred obscure old DM maps by now (not counting the "classics" people play frequently online, of course.)

At first I was doing it in 2013/2014 just to put together Dwango20 but I still really enjoy it for some reason. Feels like the Doom equivalent of an archaeological dig that gives insight into the DM and Dooming culture of the bygone era.

EDIT: I've also played at least 1/3rd of the signed D!Zone I won (thanks Buckshot!) but I've enjoyed literally only about 3 of the maps so far. I hate that ~15% of that CD is literally filler wads completely devoid of any data at all, what a cop out. I'd rather a shitty bad map than a .WAD that literally contains 0 kb..

I've got the whole archive backed up on a USB drive, and at times will occasionally have a day where ill play 10 or so wads made in various years that I've never heard of. So over the years I've probably crossed over to playing at least half of the stuff on there. Good rule of thumb, if its under 100kb its not worth your time.

40oz said:

Good rule of thumb, if its under 100kb its not worth your time.

The size of the zip or the wad?

The fact that a human being will never be able to play every single WAD ever made since 1994 is amazing, frightening and ridiculous at the same time.

What other video game franchise would be able to claim the same?

What's even crazier to think - idgames actually doesn't even come close to containing every released WAD. I wonder how large every released WAD ever would add up to? (Barring things over 50meg just for music, what a fucking waste of data)

IMX said:

The fact that a human being will never be able to play every single WAD ever made since 1994 is amazing, frightening and ridiculous at the same time.

What other video game franchise would be able to claim the same?

Boulder Dash. The majority of fan caves are made for the C64 version. There are not nearly as much as for Doom, yet still far more than I ever would play.
I coded some editors for the C64 version.
As for a franchise, you could add Emerald Mine, which is a Boulder Dash inspired game, and has quite a lot of fan games on the Amiga. And extending it further, there are actually a lot of Boulder Dash clones too. Most of them for free.

Also worth a mention is Minecraft. Maybe there are not that many maps to download, but considering that one world alone is bigger than you would ever explore, this also seems somewhat extreme.

printz said:

The size of the zip or the wad?

The wad, but you usually wanna double check to see if new sounds are included, because that pads the file size pretty quick.

There was a point where I had played almost all of the PWADs in my shovelware collections in 3 years or so. They weren't that many though: about 100-120 MB in PWADs on the Doomania CD-ROM, and maybe some 20-30 MB from other sources (mainly Simtel archive CD-ROMs). My school grades obviously suffered from that.

GreyGhost said:

I think TimeOfDeath was working his way through them in chronological order some time back, but I've no idea how far he progressed.

Yes, I'm using your list of doom2 wads on the archive sorted by wad date (not upload date).

I started in 2009 going from oldest to newest and so far have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing/boom wad from 1994 to October 2002. I then stopped playing the boom wads (because I was tired of changing the complevel every time) and have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing wad up until April 2004.

Everyone can do this thing if they do it and can "pass" it off to their children to continue their legacy.

But having a family legacy like this is pretty much, well.. not everyone will love Doom or FPS games in general for sure.

Not to mention there's all those terrywads, and one man's meat is another man's poison for most of the times.

TimeOfDeath said:

...have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing wad up until April 2004.

So only another decade and a bit to go? Let me know if/when you need an updated list.

TimeOfDeath said:

Yes, I'm using your list of doom2 wads on the archive sorted by wad date (not upload date).

I started in 2009 going from oldest to newest and so far have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing/boom wad from 1994 to October 2002. I then stopped playing the boom wads (because I was tired of changing the complevel every time) and have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing wad up until April 2004.

I have to ask, have there been any maps you couldn't complete? Either physically impossible or broken or whatever?

I once started playing all wads in alphabetical order. I stopped at 1fiffy7.zip and started to play the Cacoward winners.

But in the past I played tons of wads... I estimate I played between 30-40% of all doom wads