Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzball

What kind of things help you relax?

Sometimes we need to de-stress, or maybe just spend some time relaxing.
What kind of things do you like to do to help you chill out, be it music or a certain game? Perhaps even a hobby like painting or reading.

For me I do enjoy some nice ambient music- slow changing and not upbeat. Gotta get my collection up a little bit, lacking some!

There are a few things that always work. Chopin's music works a treat, but when I'm out and about I find that, if possible, enjoying the scenery is really calming. Often I'll walk into the room across the hall from me and stare out the window and watch the clouds slowly drift across the sky. I used to watch the birds but all the smaller birds seem to have been chased off by bloody invasive Ring-Necked Parakeets.

Also Ling does bring up a good point (even if it is caked in layers of sarcasm), exercise, light or heavy, is usually nice - gets the endorphins going.

Uh, Deathmatch of course.

Though as Ling said excersize really is the best stress reliever. Good music helps too.

For physical relaxation I do yoga. Used to lift and did cardio boxing but haven't been able to do that lately.

I do enjoy almost anything computer TV related of course like most of us.

When i am in bed and i feel i am stressed and have difficulties to sleep, i listen to some documentary or something similar. "Planet Earth" for example.
But a few weeks ago i found the youtube channel of the yale university, where the uploaded a lot of free stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/YaleCourses/playlists

These days i am listening through the introduction to psychology. Game theory and early middle ages might be the next few i will listen to.

Also, believe it or not: My work can also be pretty relaxing. Technically i am unemployed, but because of my social phobia, i got a rehab thing going on, where i have office work. I feel welcome there and people need me there. Last week i had the idea to do something in excel that cuts away a great bit of boring work my boss there has to do pretty often. Was pretty complex, but i did it in roughly two workdays. I like to solve problems like this, and i am pretty good handling numbers, logical connections, and formulas. I am not something like a walking calculator, but i am good at working out how everything fits together. And when my brain has something to do, it doesnt have time to think about the problems i have. I guess thats also why listening to documentaries and those yale courses works so good for me.

ASMR videos relax me although I have never actually experienced ASMR sensations in my life, I guess it is just the chilled theme of the videos.

Lazilly playing Defiance helps too, just wandering around a wasteland looking for tagets to pick off.

Or I just wander Skyrim, looking for that Legendary dragon that still hasn't turned up yet. The forgotten vale is my favorite place to wander (until I stumbled onto the ugly as sin feral Falmer, never seen them before so it was a shock and half when they turned and looked at me).

Exploring Zion in Fallout New Vegas is also chilling when the wildlife isn't trying to eat you.

Smoking the reef is like an automatic "make you not care about anything for a few hours" thing. Often times watching a YouTube channel or playing doom on an easy skill setting is a nice way for me to relax

Generally not having to be around other people reduces my stress level dramatically. Aside from that, really immersive/atmospheric games put me in a state of ease. Single player Minecraft is good for this, but Touhou is my go-to relaxation game. Between the comfy music, strobing light patterns and the gameplay absorbing 100% of my attention, I get into this sort of Zen state where I'm detached from reality. When I'm completely brain-dead tired but still unable to sleep, I like a bit of YouTube, preferably in bed.

When I'm stressed, I tend to listen to a lot of ambient music. Love Spirals Downward and Lustmord come to mind, though certainly not exclusively. I also light incense, drink tea (catnip tea is delicious and calming), or go fishing.

At the moment I'm reading forums, it is 2am so not a lot of options.

Going for a walk is good, listening to podcasts, and of course things of a "personal" nature are always good. Some "me time".

I sit on my ass and look for skeletons. How pitiful is that?

Well, I'm also looking for new articles on the Browns.

gawd, it just keeps getting worse.

Thought of another one: I also have wasted way too much of my life reading about bootleg video games but it relaxes me, so I guess the job is done one way or the other!

40oz said:

Smoking the reef is like an automatic "make you not care about anything for a few hours" thing.

I'm glad to say it's not the case for me, more like a "don't stress about anything for a few hours, but care about it more than you ever would have before" type thing :P

When I'm stressed, I listen to video game and anime music and play Brutal Doom with IDDQD and IDKFA.

Driving can be relaxing when your out on some winding country road with little to no traffic, otherwise driving fukken sucks. Reading a good book is relaxing (currently David Gemmell's The Swords of Night and Day). Watching a movie or show or playing some vidya game can be relaxing. Cooking a few burgers or some steak on the BBQ/Grill can be relaxing while scarfing a beer (preferably an Innis & Gunn). Lisatening to music (anything but rap or hop hip).

Lift weights, play civilization, and doom. I do a lot of other stuff, like write lyrics, and draw too. Also, I to go people watching with a beer in hand, in the outside part of this Bar/arcade I frequently visit; sometimes I strike up some conversations.

Prayer
Kicking back and having a Coors with the wife who is also my best bud
YouTube surfing for music
Family time