Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Doomed Space Wars Released!

UPDATE 1 September 2015 (Australian Easter Standard Time):
Doomed Space Wars has finally been released after nearly 2 years of development!

DOWNLOAD ZIPPED: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/spacwars.zip (55.2mb)
TEXT FILE: paulcorfiatis.com/spacwars.txt

I have also updated my web page as well: paulcorfiatis.com

Pretty sure I have fixed all glitches. I am pretty happy with it.

* 9 Maps
* 3 Secret Maps
* 10 Deathmatch Maps

Will be uploaded to idgames in the near future.

STORY: An abandoned imperial space station named "Ondor" has been hijacked by an unknown force and is heading towards our Solar System. The UAC has sent a team of marines there to investigate and they realize that they are in the fight for their lives. Their mission is to seek, destroy and get the hell out of there.

FEATURES

* Star Wars-like maps of semi linear design. Atmospheric architecture and realistic lighting effects.
* Original MP3 soundtrack of original orchestral music composed and produced by the Corfster himself.
* N64 PSX Sounds.
* Coloured lighting, reverb.
* 3D Floors.
* No slopes to retain a Doom-like feel.
* Basic scripting.
* Challenging gameplay, ambushes galore.
* Top secret Easter Eggs.
* New DECORATE enemies include;
- Dark Trooper (140hp)
- Security Droid (150hp)
- Giant Cacodemon (double hp of Cacodemon 800hp)
- Darkside Cacodemon (800hp)
- Tortured Soul Elemental (same hp as Cacodemon 400hp)
- Sith Hell Knight (750hp)
- Afrit (Super Baron, 2000hp)
- Hectebus (Super Mancubus, 1500hp)
- Chaos Elemental (Final Boss, 6000hp)

SCREENSHOTS (from the Development phase)

Map01 - Kills - 100, Items - 97, Secrets - 71. Time: 32:16. End Health - 100, Armor - 0. Bullets - 44, Shells - 50, Rockets - 4, Cells - 114. Death Count - 11

I've been waiting for this revision! I liked it the first time and I like it even better now. Yes, there is a series of tomato-can dick-traps, but you always leave an escape valve, which may be all that kept my death count below 50. ;D

This is only the first map, and I'd say it's one of the best pcorf maps I've ever played. It looks fantastic with the new textures and colored lighting, and it's tough-as-nails from that first Imp/hitscanner trap to, almost, the end, which I remembered so well that the dark room trap was easy this time, but I didn't mind because the cinematic quality of that room, battling a Baron in the dark while he's silhouetted against the lights, was so fucking cool that "hard" didn't matter.

Luckily, I remembered the Plasma Gun and BFG secrets, and I managed 5 out of 7 secrets, which for me is phenomenal in a pcorf map, since they usually leave me scratching my head and going, "Whuh?"

The bombastic music was cool, too. Basically, aside from a couple oddities, like that early HK at the bottom of the stairs, or the essentially pointless Cacos that emerge as the second monster wave in the room beyond the blue key door, the whole map is cool. And the blue key room was nasty, nasty, nasty. A lot of SteveD pelts were handed over in that room. ;)

Unlike last time, this time I'm playing all the maps. I know more horrors await me. Also, I plan to pistol-start each map instead of my usual continuous play.

BTW, what game configuration did you use? I wanted to give you the sector number for a little nook with a shell-box in it where the side textures need aligning. The floor was gray slime.

SteveD said:

Map01 - Kills - 100, Items - 97, Secrets - 71. Time: 32:16. End Health - 100, Armor - 0. Bullets - 44, Shells - 50, Rockets - 4, Cells - 114. Death Count - 11

I've been waiting for this revision! I liked it the first time and I like it even better now. Yes, there is a series of tomato-can dick-traps, but you always leave an escape valve, which may be all that kept my death count below 50. ;D

This is only the first map, and I'd say it's one of the best pcorf maps I've ever played. It looks fantastic with the new textures and colored lighting, and it's tough-as-nails from that first Imp/hitscanner trap to, almost, the end, which I remembered so well that the dark room trap was easy this time, but I didn't mind because the cinematic quality of that room, battling a Baron in the dark while he's silhouetted against the lights, was so fucking cool that "hard" didn't matter.

Luckily, I remembered the Plasma Gun and BFG secrets, and I managed 5 out of 7 secrets, which for me is phenomenal in a pcorf map, since they usually leave me scratching my head and going, "Whuh?"

The bombastic music was cool, too. Basically, aside from a couple oddities, like that early HK at the bottom of the stairs, or the essentially pointless Cacos that emerge as the second monster wave in the room beyond the blue key door, the whole map is cool. And the blue key room was nasty, nasty, nasty. A lot of SteveD pelts were handed over in that room. ;)

Unlike last time, this time I'm playing all the maps. I know more horrors await me. Also, I plan to pistol-start each map instead of my usual continuous play.

BTW, what game configuration did you use? I wanted to give you the sector number for a little nook with a shell-box in it where the side textures need aligning. The floor was gray slime.

Thanks for your feedback.

The map is Zdoom: Doom in Hexen Format. Texture alignment is as good as it can be, impossible to get it 101% perfect.

Your mission will only get harder, ammo balance will get tougher and ambushes aplenty.

Remember the player is the the mouse and the monsters are the cats.

I've checked the first demo before, now I've played through the second one too.

The Star Wars theme succeeds to create an atmosphere, where linearity, orthogonality and setpiece-focused gameplay makes sense and work well. I don't have much complaints about aesthetics or gameplay, it played well for me and I've enjoyed it. Balance was right for pistol starts, otherwise there would probably be a lot of ammo. Revenants even look surprisingly fitting in this wad, unlike other, more Doom-like environments. You could improve the usage of colour-marked switches that actually don't require a key, but instead they make the key accessible. You've probably heard that many times already, it can be an annoying design choice.

I'm not sure about the PSX sounds though, in my opinion they contrast with your own music. There would be either dark music with protracted scary tones and the PSX sounds, or this music and standard Doom sounds. Nevertheless, I have accepted the sounds soon, as a part of this wad's specific nature, and it wasn't any bad. One more thing regarding music - the title music felt weird to me. At first it was resembling Star Wars theme, but it wasn't right, and I've got a little problem with it being unnatural.

Let me talk about the new monsters. First, I think the droid's attack is overpowered, too quickly performed, fast, and heavily damaging at the same time, while the droid itself is hardly visible due to its colour blending with the environment. On the other hand - they create an interesting punishing challenge, since these characteristics don't have any counterpart in standard Doom's bestiary. Another problem with them - they bleed! It can be fixed in their DECORATE by setting BloodType "BulletPuff" or to change the blood's colour via BloodColor.

Then the other monsters are fine, except the giant caco. Being just a rescaled original, it looks odd, like if the perspective has gone mad. He also fires a fireball from his chin. Again, there's an easy fix - use A_CustomMissile or A_CustomComboAttack to adjust projectile spawn height for his attack, instead of a hardcoded A_HeadAttack. Honestly, I recommend getting rid of this monster completely.

But I've noticed how the giant and normal cacodemons infight each other, the same with mancubi and hectebi and maybe the other's shouldn't infight their closest counterparts too. To fix infighting issues, derive one class from the other, then they won't infight. For example, instead of just declaring ACTOR Hectebus 22250, write ACTOR Hectebus : Fatso 22250. It is called an inheritance, and it will cause the Hectebus to use Mancubus's properties (you change them in the code anyway) and disallow infighting between these two monster types.

Good wad, keep it up! I like how modern Doom mapping is bringing special concepts like this, while the core gameplay and its mechanics aren't changed much.

Thanks for all your advice and feedback on the gameplay, glad you enjoyed it. I am in no rush this time, just going to focus hard on making a super good episode.

The droid now has black blood. Which resembles a filthy oil. Thanks for your help because I wanted to change its blood. I will either shrink the Giant Cacodemon to a slightly smaller size or replace it with a new type of Cacodemon of regular size, maybe a nightmare Cacodemon.

Both Mancubus types do not fight each other. Same with the big Caco and the small Cacos. Going to add some Hectebus in the battle room of MAP10.

EDIT: Removed the Giant Cacodemons and replaced them with regular Cacodemons. The Giant Cacodemon thing type 30005 will be used for another type of Cacodemon encountered later in the episode.

In MAP01 in the room after the blue key door where the Baron is, I have replaced the 4 Cacodemons with Droids.

The Droid's fireball does slightly less damage and has been slowed down slightly. It makes a difference.

Note: The Droid's pain sound is a modified fast door closing sound from twzone2.wad.

Sorry it took me so long to keep going on this. Mid-month headaches and nasty allergies are the culprits.

On to the stats . . .

Map02 - Kills - 100, Items - 97, Secrets - 60. Time - 57:26. End health - 89, Armor 77. Bullets - 125, Shells - 58, Rockets - 9, Cells 77. Death Count - 6

I found this map a bit easier than Map01, but it was a lot of fun to explore and search for the secrets. Although I didn't get all of them, I was quite happy to get the Plasma Gun, a Blue Armor, a Rocket Launcher and a Megasphere. I was foiled by the Computer Map, alas.

If I had to make one immediate negative observation, it's that there were too many one-on-one fights with Hell Nobles in large areas where they posed no threat, and thus served as mere time/ammo sinks. For example on that bridge to a switch, a Hell Knight teleports to the switch area as you walk out. And that's all there is, allowing an easy retreat so you can casually snipe him to death. It would be a far nastier event if you had something teleport behind you as well.

There was also a fair amount of door-camping possibilities, for example in the room with the big Caco trap where you first see the Giant Caco -- and this came after another door-camping room with a bunch of Lost Souls -- and the room in the blue key area with 2 Revvies up high, an Arachnotron on the floor, and hitscanners off to the sides and behind you as you enter. And of course, the excellent yellow key trap, where I died 3 or 4 times, can be camped as soon as you learn how to cheese it, either from the path to the Megasphere or from the Megasphere area itself.

There was still a lot of good action in this map. The droids were nasty and, as scifista observed, very hard to see in dark areas thanks to their color. I would disagree with weakening their attack, though. I liked that their shots were so fast and so nasty once they hit you. It helps to make up for how easy they are to destroy -- one SSG blast is good enough.

You put some nasty monster-closet traps in there. About jumped out of my skin a couple times. ;D One of them near the end took me out, too. I found the ammo and health balance good, with some occasional ammo stress in the earlier parts of the map. Highly skilled players may find the health a bit too generous. I'm not one of those players. ;)

The map looks amazing. I love the darkness and the ominous atmosphere, the massively vertical spaces, and the sense of utter ginormousness. Very cool map.

Update!

Third demo has been uploaded. 7 of the 9 levels are complete, plus all 3 secret levels. More improvements have been made including the addition of 3D floors. Feedback esp from MAP05 onwards would be appreciated.

Download: paulcorfiatis.com/sw_demo3.wad (57.1mb)

The next version will be the final version uploaded to idgames. I estimate a June or July release for Doomed Space Wars.

UPDATE: All maps are now complete and I am now doing the final touches. Doomed Space Wars to be released on September 1 if all goes to plan.

Jaxxoon R said:

I just now saw this yaaaay I love it I wanna play it.
Oh.
Okay...
I can wait...

Hopefully. What I will do is a complete quick double check playthrough (with God mode on) to make sure everything works, make sure that there is no mis-spelling and that 100% kills/items/secrets is possible and then it will be uploaded to idgames and my website. Already have 7 basic (not serious) Deathmatch levels complete, I'll whip up a few more DM levels. I am pretty happy with MAP01-08, 10, 11 and 12 ..... just MAP09 needs final adjustments. So glad to get this project done, took forever but patience is always the key when you are making something HUGE!

SINGLE PLAYER LEVELS:

RED ZONE (Boss Spider Mastermind)
- MAP01: Command Admin
- MAP02: Chiron Sector
- MAP03: Imperial Stronghold (Secret exit to MAP10)
BLUE ZONE (Boss 2x Cyberdemons)
- MAP04: Central Labs
- MAP05: Laser Power Generator
- MAP06: Dynamics Processing
GREEN ZONE (Boss Chaos Elemental)
- MAP07: Stardate Constitution (Secret exit to MAP11)
- MAP08: Star Tomb
- MAP09: The Chaos Machine
SECRET LEVELS
- MAP10: Rusted Mystery
- MAP11: Defragmentation Continuum (Secret exit to MAP12)
- MAP12: Hitler's Theatre
DEATHMATCH LEVELS:
- MAP40: The Exitprize
- MAP41: Slime Vault
- MAP42: Symmetric Symphony
- MAP43: Spacegammon
- MAP44: Space Combat
- MAP45: Three Bridges
- MAP46: Walking The Red Dwarf
- MAP47: Pursuit
- MAP48: Space DWANGO
- MAP49: Mira

The wad unzipped will be over 70mb in size, with an estimated 60% of that size from the .mp3 music. The maps themselves are quite large and detailed.

Firedust said:

Screens look awesome, looking forward to playing this.

I am sure you'll enjoy it. Today, worked on another DM level (Pursuit) and did a few other edits.

This is most certainly going to be a top priority on my Doom playlist the minute it gets released!

Also, mappers are welcome to make their own add-on levels or expansion packs for Doomed Space Wars. I might also make a resource wad with the textures for upload to my website at a later date.

Made some changes to MAP04, replaced 2 red Galactic Empire symbols with blue symbols .... as MAP04-06 is the blue zone.

Added an alarm sound to MAP09 which sounds after defeating the final boss. The roughly 1 minute long sound also has a voice saying "Please evacuate, This ship will self destruct" the voice is played every 10 seconds or so. It is activated by a hidden crusher which crushes a Romero head once, the pain sound plays the alarm.

A few GZDOOM shots from MAP09.

SavageCorona said:

I'm almost reminded of Dark Forces in a few ways. I'm hype for this.

Yes my aim was to make a Dark Forces textured episode, but with Doom weapons and enemies, etc. I have been aiming to do this for 10 years or so but just wasn't ready. The secret map (MAP31) of WOS was the first step. 10 years ago me and Nebula were working on Death Tormention 3. Nearly 2 years ago I said to myself, do it .... because you have been thinking about it for many years. The aim was to use Dark Forces textures but have the maps far more ambient, atmospheric and realistic than the original Dark Forces game which was quite bright. Another aim was to have an original Star Wars-inspired soundtrack in .mp3 format. I used the SGM 2.01 soundfont, probably the best soundfont I found for orchestra.

Forgot to ask one thing, didn't see it in the OP. What sourceport will this require? Will zdoom be enough?

Firedust said:

Forgot to ask one thing, didn't see it in the OP. What sourceport will this require? Will zdoom be enough?

Sure will be enough.

Firedust said:

Levels look massive. For me that is a good sign. :)

Also the visuals look gorgeous.

But like my past releases the gameplay might not be perfect. I am trying my very best and I am pretty happy with MAP01-08, just need to give MAP09 a good testing .... been busy and will be glad to get it done.

Been working hard to get this all done and it is almost there. Went through all the single player maps to make sure that 100% everything is possible and fixed a few minor issues along the way. Completed 2 more Deathmatch maps. The final product will be 12 single player levels, 10 deathmatch levels and an unplayable title map. Fixed a couple of accidental spelling errurs (I meant errors)

I am going to go through it again but I am pretty happy with most things and next Tuesday it will be uploaded to my website and idgames. Phew!

I need a good break from mapping, but of course there will be more to come from time to time. But will concentrate more on music and other stuff in life.

Wow this looks awesome! Nice work pcorf!

It is pretty much all done. Final check ups over the next few days and at last the release to my website on Tuesday + upload to idgames. It was something I always wanted to achieve, working on a map set using non stock textures, in particular using the Dark Forces textures in a dark manner. And I have always been a fan of sci-fi, spaceships and stuff like that. It is over 74mb unzipped due to the 15 or so pieces of .mp3 music (128kbps/44100hz) But I am sure there is about 15mb of maps alone in there.

You gonna have betatesting? This seems like a pretty big project and there's always the chance something will have slipped under the radar.

Obsidian said:

You gonna have betatesting? This seems like a pretty big project and there's always the chance something will have slipped under the radar.

Nope.

I released 3 demos in the past and I got only a little bit of feedback and when I uploaded the 3rd demo absolutely no feedback. So I have been searching through all the maps and making sure all things works. I am pretty happy with it, getting very close. Tuesday will be the final release because beta testing fixes things, but also creates more problems delaying a release by many months.

Did a play through to make sure 100% kills, items and secrets were possible and I fixed up various issues along the way as well as a few minor spelling errors.