Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

How do you normally play DOOM? With Original or Modern Gameplay?

What the title says.

By Modern Gameplay, I mean being able to look up and down, jump and crouch, use crosshairs, have level information and ingame scoreboards, etc.

I play DOOM all the time, but I'm wondering if I should use the Original or the Modern Gameplay mechanics to play on a regular basis. For example, I enjoy playing with the Original Gameplay (even using KB-Only, although I mainly use KB+M), but when I do LAN parties with my friends, they all prefer the Modern Gameplay. In fact, one of my best friends told me that using the Original Gameplay on a regular basis can become a bad habit (mainly because you can't aim up and down), especially when so many other FPS games utilize the Modern Gameplay...

So once again, how do YOU normally play DOOM? That'll help me decide how I should play it...

DMGUYDZ64 said:

If you mean by modern gameplay Mouselook on and Crosshair then yeah , that's how i play it .

That's part of what I mean. I also said jumping and crouching and level information and scoreboards and all that jazz.

I play with keyboard + mouse, no freelook, jumping, or crouching unless the map requires it.

If I want "modern gameplay", I'll play a modern FPS.

RexFesto696 said:

So once again, how do YOU normally play DOOM? That'll help me decide how I should play it...

Seriously man, play as you want. There's no need to please anybody, just do what you find more fun.

Well, with the original Doom WADs I feel it's kinda unfair to play with modern privileges like mouse look, that's why I replayed Doom II with Chocolate Doom after realizing it felt a bit too easy when playing it via Zandronum first.

Chocolate Doom is pretty vanilla-ish, though, and doesn't run every mod so if Chocolate Doom doesn't run it I try Zandronum or ZDoom with modern privileges. I don't jump or duck, though... feels like cheating.

RexFesto696 said:

That's part of what I mean. I also said jumping and crouching and level information and scoreboards and all that jazz.

For vanilla games i don't usually use jumping or crouching, However i use scoreboards in Netgames .

My main source port is GZDOOM, since it allows me to easily access Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, NRFTL, the Master Levels, and Final DOOM all at once (Just so you know, I bought and legally own all those WADs.), and the plus up from ZDOOM is that I can look completely up and down properly. Oh and I don't have to worry about distorted 2D graphics because of filtering (Sorry but I can't stand distortion).

Since the temptation to use Modern Gameplay is too great to resist in GZDOOM, I think I'm gonna use that to play DOOM on a regular basis.

Another great feature of (G)ZDOOM: If I ever do wanna play with Original Gameplay and/or KB-Only, I can easily make another ini to change all the settings in so I don't have to modify my main ini.

EDIT:
Just so you know, even though I like having the ability to jump and crouch, I really don't use them when I'm doing a serious playthrough. Only if I'm just casually playing or doing a LAN party or playing online.

I play mostly modern. If jumping or crouching wasn't intended, then I won't do that, but I'll keep my crosshairs, mouselook, and level info.

Despite its age I think that Doom is still a modern game in its influences, focus on the raw mechanics and the fact it's evolved as it has over the years just cements that belief. So yes I do like to play with mouse aiming but I won't disrespect the developer's intentions by jumping and crouching if it wasn't meant to be.

Original with some Modern, it's like mix, i use keyboard for all required functions and only Mlook to aim, oh btw i use the touchpad of my Pc for that task.

RexFesto696 said:

EDIT:
Just so you know, even though I like having the ability to jump and crouch, I really don't use them when I'm doing a serious playthrough. Only if I'm just casually playing or doing a LAN party or playing online.

You might also want to try Zandronum if you havent done that already , it is basically GZDoom with a better Multiplayer and lot of players online .

I enjoy playing Doom in any form. It's a testament to the strong gameplay mechanics which never get old. Lately I've been enjoying mouselook with improved graphics through Doomsday but ZDoom is equally awesome too. I hate 3D models though. That's one graphic "enhancement" I feel never belongs in Doom.

I really like to vary. Depends of my mood, the port that I'm using and the maps themselves. Sometimes I like to play all "old-schoolish" using crispy-doom (or in dosbox with boom)... and sometimes I like to play in zdoom with mouselook, or even gzdoom with some gameplay mod (brutal doom included).

But something that I never do is jump\crouch (if not needed). 3D models are awful too.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You might also want to try Zandronum if you havent done that already , it is basically GZDoom with a better Multiplayer and lot of players online .

I already use Zandronum as my main MP DOOM port.

GZdoom. I like playing at 2560x1440 with smooth graphics.

I don't use mouselook, but I use "Q" as a freelook modifier if I need to target something out of view.

RMB = move forward
Always run
I use jump/crouch sometimes but will avoid if I know things weren't designed for it. A lot of WADs I've been playing lately have it disabled.

Rex - what's the option for fixing the freelook sprite distortion? hen I look they still get skinny when looking down for example. Are you using 3d model pack?

Lvangundy said:

GZdoom. I like playing at 2560x1440 with smooth graphics.

I don't use mouselook, but I use "Q" as a freelook modifier if I need to target something out of view.

RMB = move forward
Always run
I use jump/crouch sometimes but will avoid if I know things weren't designed for it. A lot of WADs I've been playing lately have it disabled.

Rex - what's the option for fixing the freelook sprite distortion? hen I look they still get skinny when looking down for example. Are you using 3d model pack?

I was talking about the environment, not the sprites. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to undistort the sprites when looking up or down other than changing Sprite Billboard to "X/Y Axis", but to me that makes it worse because it makes the sprites look like they were slapped onto the screen instead of looking natural. I'm actually used to the sprite distortion however thanks to Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition...

And no I'm not using 3D Models, unless I'm playing Risen3D...

Zed said:

I play with keyboard + mouse, no freelook, jumping, or crouching unless the map requires it.

If I want "modern gameplay", I'll play a modern FPS.

This is what I do. And I occasionally turn the freelook on just to see the details.

WSDA + Super high sensitivity mouse. I have ALL of my ports set up to feel exactly as my Doom2.exe (low resolution aside) so needless to say it's the original format, just pushed beyond it's normal max in sensitivity.

I can use freelook but I prefer not to.

Doomkid said:

Super high sensitivity mouse.

YES. I forgot to mention that, but I NEED my mouse to be super-sensitive like that. I can't stand when it turns slowly.

I use mouse aiming, crosshair, and have the jump and crouch buttons. I don't use the jump button to skip stuff though. I use GZDoom with the original textures unfiltered, looks great. 1080p widescreen, oh yes.

I also change movebob from 0.25 to 0.12, for the record. 90 FOV.

If I'm playing the base game, Classic all the way.
Either Chocolate or Eternity.
Using mods?
I'll either use ZDoom, GZDoom, or Zandronum respectively.
Multiplayer is definitely Zandronum no doubt.
I'd have to say I enjoy playing classic style more, but when needed, I'll definitely use modern.

Definitely modern.

Mouse look, jumping, crouching (not much use in that one though), jump-kicking, kicking (BD) and iron sights enhance my Doom experience.

While I can respect the choice of going old school style I feel it holds me back too much these days. Besides with the right mods you can shoot limbs off, cripple enemies and even head shots, which all results in interesting outcomes.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the freedom to aim for yourself or to have more dynamic gameplay when battling Demons.

Generally speaking, I'll stick to classic gameplay with the exception of a few bugfixes such as hitbox and blockmap-related crap (via G/ZDoom) when playing casually.

Testing maps and whatnot though, it absolutely depends on the targeted port e.g. if it's geared toward vanilla, then I'll test it in vanilla/Chocolate.

Multiplayer (Zandronum), I'll disable autoaim and go full freelook with the mouse. I like having that extra layer of control over what I'm actually targeting when playing Survival, instead of being dicked over by shitty horizontal autoaim deciding that the nearby wall is definitely the best place to send my fucking rockets.

I'll mess around with gameplay mods and mapsets in G/ZDoom every once in a while, but generally I play in PRBoom+, so no jumping, crouching, etc.

PRIMEVAL said:

I play mostly modern. If jumping or crouching wasn't intended, then I won't do that, but I'll keep my crosshairs, mouselook, and level info.

exactly this. well, sometimes i do that if the map annoys me and i think it's time to get out :p

but always with crosshairs and mouselook, feels weird to me without.

I play with WASD mouselook, and somethimes jump and crouch but only on IWAD maps. Before that, I used to play with keyboard only, but I switched to mouse when I started playing with gameplay mods and advanced zdoom maps.

As someone that spends 99.9% of their Doom experience in a multiplayer server, I play with whatever the server forces/allows. I will say that in deathmatch and 1v1 I prefer to play without jumping/freelook. But in CTF I definitely can't live without jumping/freelook/pwo etc. :)