Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Short vid on Doom 4 combat

Choice out of context quotes:

"There's always four or five guys"

"With the drops that are coming out, your health is really low, and in the middle of combat, you don't look for health packs, you look for fodder"

"You can't really strategize when you enter into an arena space"

"It's not a tactical shooter"

wheresthebeef said:

"In hard mode, one hit you're dead"

I wonder if that was an exaggeration or not. That sounds like it could be real rough

That would be really lame. I want more monsters ... not just a spike in damage. That would just be lazy mode.

Zemini said:

That would be really lame. I want more monsters ... not just a spike in damage. That would just be lazy mode.

I wanna know if they go full-on trolls with nightmare mode like in the original Doom with constantly spawning demons and other things that make you wanna punch a hole in the monitor.

Really how hard would just more monsters be? You eventually hit a ceiling where they all just start infighting each other and providing easy ammo/health.

Jaxxoon R said:

Really how hard would just more monsters be? You eventually hit a ceiling where they all just start infighting each other and providing easy ammo/health.

If the level designers do their job right and place those additional monsters cleverly then more monsters can become quite a bit harder.

I'm liking what I'm hearing. I want to know more about the AI, because it seems like they're trying to make it subtly clever.

There'd still be an upper limit no amount of clever placement could surpass. That and hardware limitations.

Overall there's a lot of presuming. He only said hard, never specifying if he truly meant turbohard or if there was a broad spectrum of consecutive kind of harders between it and normal.

I remain indifferent until absolute certainty.

I am just saying the difficulty shoudn't be just more damage.

I understand that having the UV level of monsters wouldn't be viable ... today. But in the mean time; Harder difficulty could also be:

-Stronger variants of the same monster (black imps, Green Hell knights, ect)
-Stronger monsters in place of weaker ones (instead of a 5 imps, we get a Hell knight with 4 imps to spawn)
-Monsters could be faster and more aggressive in hunting you down. (-Fastmonsters!)

I wonder if they would even add fast monsters mode but it's not really something modern FPS or any non-Doom FPS has ever done before, at least as far as I know.

Zemini said:

I am just saying the difficulty shoudn't be just more damage.

I understand that having the UV level of monsters wouldn't be viable ... today. But in the mean time; Harder difficulty could also be:

-Stronger variants of the same monster (black imps, Green Hell knights, ect)
-Stronger monsters in place of weaker ones (instead of a 5 imps, we get a Hell knight with 4 imps to spawn)
-Monsters could be faster and more aggressive in hunting you down. (-Fastmonsters!)

I hear you on this Doom 3 nightmare mode was lame with the constant health loss. I want the kind of scenario you describe, a harder fight no a lazy and lame handicap.

Zemini said:

I understand that having the UV level of monsters wouldn't be viable ... today.

What?
Doom, even on UV, never had as many monsters at the same time as some (relatively) modern games have, like Serious Sam 3 for example. Or remember how many NPCs we see in stuff like AssCreed. We're far past the state of 3d where we couldn't afford more than a few characters on screen.

Antroid said:

What?
Doom, even on UV, never had as many monsters at the same time as some (relatively) modern games have, like Serious Sam 3 for example. Or remember how many NPCs we see in stuff like AssCreed. We're far past the state of 3d where we couldn't afford more than a few characters on screen.

Those crowds of people is asscreed are (essentially) mindless drones though, just milling about with no real intelligence other than "walk to here, run away if a fight breaks out". Same with the serious sam goons, most aren't smarter than "Run at sam while shooting". having that many enemies onscreen while also having them behave and move in an intelligent manner would be much more difficult.

now, that being said, we haven't really seen the Doom 4 monsters act all that smart...

AI isn't anywhere nearas taxing as graphics. As for large hordes being reduced to bumbling idiots crashing into each other because of super sophisticated AI algorithms - we can test this theory with snapmap.

I'm pretty sure the "One Hit and You're Dead" thing is just an over-exaggeration.
That would be an interesting mode though.
Imagine first person Hotline Miami with Demons.
I do hope that nightmare retains it's original specs though.
I'd love to see what this game would play like with faster monsters and having them respawn shortly after death.