Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

"Multiplayer" section on DW revival?

Would you like to see a Multiplayer section?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Multiplayer section?

• Yes, I love coop, deathmatch, survival, CTF and more!
    • No, I have zero interest in that stuff.

I'm all in favor of having a Multiplayer section. I think there is already a good amount of FFA/Duel and CTF Doomers, though I'm sure there were WAY more people back in the day.

I think it's a great idea. The Losers forum is rather stale and this would increase the inflow thousandfold. Let's do it for the losers!

I'd love multiplayer. The only thing missing is a good multiplayer port.. and then enough players to play it.

I don't know about a forum section. It might very well end up dead. On the other hand, is that really such a huge issue? There are already a some less interesting or just low-traffic sections here and it's not like they really bother me.

clarry said:

The only thing missing is a good multiplayer port.. and then enough players to play it.

Heck, there's 3 of them as we speak! ;) Odamex is certainly the most underappreciated, but all 3 online ports are damn good if we're being honest. Ironically three source ports of a 20 year old game are more stable than most commercial releases these days, but I digress...

dew said:

The Losers forum is rather stale and this would increase the inflow thousandfold.

I'm talking about making a multiplayer section, not developing and releasing Doom 4.

Doomkid said:

Heck, there's 3 of them as we speak! ;) Odamex is certainly the most underappreciated, but all 3 online ports are damn good if we're being honest.

Nobody plays Odamex, and it has trouble running some wads I've wanted to play. And its performance is poor. That's not damn good for me.

Zdaemon is windows only. That's damn bad.

Zandronum probably still requires fmod, which means I won't be able to try it (that's not damn good). If someone ports the OpenAL branch or I hack around it, I fear I'll just run into more performance issues as with Odamex. Being a zdoom fork, I suppose it also inherits the licensing woes. Not very nice.

There are other ports which have none of these issues and run mighty well, but nobody uses them for multiplayer because they're not "proper" multiplayer ports...

clarry said:

There are other ports which have none of these issues and run mighty well, but nobody uses them for multiplayer because they're not "proper" multiplayer ports...

Such as?

Casuals and whatnot will generally use any port for classic modes as long as said port is stable, relatively simple to get going and doesn't exhibit ridiculous game-altering behaviour or glitchy shit for no good reason.

^What BaronOfStuff said - No one really minds what port is being used as long as it runs well for everyone playing. To say no one plays odamex is pretty unfair too (wdl, many duelers, myself and plenty of FFA players) but it's not nearly as popular as the others. You challenge people to a game and they'll usually respond though.

This further pushes the point - All ports that are good for multiplayer will be chatter about in this subforum if it exists, it could really open up new ways to Doom for some existing/potential MP fans.

It's gonna look kinda weird when those new folks come here and think "What? Doom isn't competitive? What about 'sucking it down' like Romero said?"

TheCupboard said:

It's gonna look kinda weird when those new folks come here and think "What? Doom isn't competitive? What about 'sucking it down' like Romero said?"

Fuck 'em.

clarry said:

Nobody plays Odamex, and it has trouble running some wads I've wanted to play. And its performance is poor. That's not damn good for me.

Just curious, what mods are you trying to play that do not work in Odamex? Are they Boom compatible? If so, the Odamex dev team might need to know so the issues can be fixed. Also we're always open for new programming talent to help out ;)

Also I would like to point out there is a small Odamex community that loves to play the port pretty much every day. The community is extremely small but we do love to get in the servers and play some classic DOOM.

clarry said:

I'm still wondering what all these awesome ports are as I'd love to try them.

What OS are you running that you cant use any of the "big 3"? It's gotta be something obscure because I've never heard of someone hating all 3 while simultaneously using a decent OS. Got friends with linux, android, mac/osX, old/weird versions of Windows, and I'm on windows7 and we all have multiple choices for Doomin'..

EDIT: Just wanted to add, the reason these 3 are so popular for MP is because they've been optimized for it, each one featuring a stellar netcode (espeically in comparison to p2p dooming via DosBox..) Client/Server ports are literally the best thing ever. I wish Legacy had better netplay because I'd use it a lot as well, would be nice for me and a freind to join a game together on the same PC.

joe-ilya said:

You can run it full screen. Or do you mean the OS?

He means the Operating System.

clarry said:

Zdaemon is windows only. That's damn bad.

Zandronum probably still requires fmod, which means I won't be able to try it (that's not damn good). If someone ports the OpenAL branch or I hack around it, I fear I'll just run into more performance issues as with Odamex. Being a zdoom fork, I suppose it also inherits the licensing woes. Not very nice.

ZDaemon also runs on Mac I'm pretty sure.

Zandronum supports other things like Timidity (if you can figure out how to set it up), OPL3 Adlib, """""Microsoft GS Wavesynth""""" or whatever and a few others I can't remember.

BaronOfStuff said:

Such as?

Casuals and whatnot will generally use any port for classic modes as long as said port is stable, relatively simple to get going and doesn't exhibit ridiculous game-altering behaviour or glitchy shit for no good reason.

Choco runs fine, crispy runs fine, prboom and prboom+ (my preference) run just fine. Perhaps there are others, but I haven't tried them.

Doomkid said:

This further pushes the point - All ports that are good for multiplayer will be chatter about in this subforum if it exists, it could really open up new ways to Doom for some existing/potential MP fans.

Yep, I hope so. That is why I think a forum dedicated for multiplayer wouldn't be such a terrible idea to try. And if it doesn't work out, well, that's just one more dead forum. :-)

Vulture said:

Just curious, what mods are you trying to play that do not work in Odamex? Are they Boom compatible? If so, the Odamex dev team might need to know so the issues can be fixed. Also we're always open for new programming talent to help out ;)

The last time I tried Doxylamine Moon: Overdose. It had serious rendering issues out on the streets, some areas just wouldn't render at all, or would only sometimes render. Most of the time, I saw just big HOMs there. The wad is fine in PrBoom+...

But I'm having performance issues even with the iwads, which is enough to turn me away from this port.

SavageCorona said:

Zandronum supports other things like Timidity (if you can figure out how to set it up), OPL3 Adlib, """""Microsoft GS Wavesynth""""" or whatever and a few others I can't remember.

Which are completely orthogonal as FMOD is used for sound in Zandronum.

clarry said:

Choco runs fine, crispy runs fine, prboom and prboom+ (my preference) run just fine. Perhaps there are others, but I haven't tried them.

These are all excellent ports, but not really for online play, unless you find someone within your state / side of the country, at least. PrBoom for example is freakin' incredible but all accounts I've heard say netplay is simply awful, which is a crying shame.

I've played Choco online a few times, it was really laggy but I still thought it was playable/great fun and this was with a ping of 200+, so if you're pinging 100 or under you should be totally fine as link as you dont mind a slight delay.

I can't comment on Crispy as I haven't given it a proper run. A PrBoom-like port, or perhaps a modded build with good netcode would certainly be a welcome addition to the MP family.

EDIT: Curious if the chatter in this thread (and the 40 - 5 poll) has prompted any of the site admins? Do you guys see any chance of this subforum coming up in the future? It sure would fit in seamlessly under that Source Ports section! ;)

Doomkid said:

A PrBoom-like port, or perhaps a modded build with good netcode would certainly be a welcome addition to the MP family.

And this is exactly what I had in mind when I wished for a good multiplayer port ;-)

If I had the time, I'd fork PrBoom+ just about now...

There is hope that my day job will get easier in the near future.

clarry said:

Which are completely orthogonal as FMOD is used for sound in Zandronum.

The only suggestion I can give you is stop using a Sound Blaster card.

I'm totally up for some Doom multiplayer, I only play Quake 'cause no one plays Doom. Well, that and, you know, rocket jumps.

I'm mostly into DM, TDM, occasionally CTF. Dunno about duels, I feel that they're not on par with Quake due to the limited tech. Said limitations make the other modes more fun, though. Dunno if I can explain that.

I'm all for this.

The first playoff game of the WDL season was played yesterday and it may have been the best game ever played over the 10 years of organized league play. It was between the #2 ranked Super Chargers and the #3 ranked Giant Pea Shooters. Best of 5 playoffs that took 6 rounds to settle (2-2 in the first 4 rounds, then a tie in the 5th). The near 60 minute game ended with a heroic comeback score by statistical underdog GPS in the final 30 seconds of round 6 to push them into next week's championship game.

Check it out, with commentary, here: http://www.twitch.tv/demonsphere/v/11285104

I'd really recommend checking it out if you are into Doom CTF, e-sports, or just want to see some of the best players ever. It is literally one of the greatest games ever played. A lot of lead changes and dramatic plays and it went the distance. All 7 players played like stars. There are player POV demos here: http://doomleague.org/forums/index.php?topic=518.0 (Require Odamex 0.7)

If anyone likes this, there will be the remaining playoff game Tuesday, August 18th at 8:30PM Eastern US time to determine who will face GPS in the finals. The two remaining games this season will have a lot to live up to.

I'd be down for multiplayer, but only chocolate doom duel or FFA. Too many times have I been in a zdaemon FFA game where it's 16 players on a map half the size of e1m1 all trying to BFG each other. I'll only do FFA if it's max of 4 players like the old days.

Tribes is the only game where CTF holds any appeal to me. Sorry CTF guys.

For what it's worth, I don't care much for PvP these days as it's typically all the same fucking maps over and over again. Or CTF, which I just cannot stand at all.

IWAD Deathmatch? Sure, I'll fuck around on that though as long as nobody takes it too seriously.

Generally speaking, however, I play Survival. As much fun as basic co-op is (and I'm always up for actual vanilla/Choco co-op on random maps), I play better/prefer when death actually has a meaning other than 'hit space to come back lol'.

I love iwad deathmatch with strict Vanilla settings! I'll kick your ass at Doom 2 map05. Hit me up on IRC yo

terminus12 said:

I'd be down for multiplayer, but only chocolate doom duel or FFA.

Any reason in particular it has to be choco only? We could set up a private room in Odamex/ZD/Zan, all of them are able to go "full oldschool" with the settings, and Odamex even supports vanilla demos :)

I'm not opposed to Choco DM, I'll just lag so hard, where as on one of the other ports I have a fighting chance. I'm happy for it to be a private game too, sometimes you dont' want an influx of random BFG spammers, I totally get that!

EDIT: Just wanted to add, if you guys end up adding this glorious subforum, I'd happily volunteer to moderate it, or at least assist in doing so. (I think I could fill Fodders' old shoes..) I think most people here know I'm both friendly and welcoming, and also won't allow stupid crap to go unchecked.

Vulture said:

I love iwad deathmatch with strict Vanilla settings! I'll kick your ass at Doom 2 map05. Hit me up on IRC yo

Nah, d5m1 for the ultimate experience.

Also what irc channel? I'll get on when I get a new laptop my current one is broken.

@doomkid chocolate doom is really the only one I trust to be able to closely emulate vanilla, granted it's been awhile since I explored other source ports and I never gave odamex a try? What source port does that use?

Odamex is a source port in itself :) Think of it as "ZDoom lite", because it has half the fat and calories!

No but seriously, it's cool because it can very strictly emulate vanilla Doom, so much so that it can play back Vanilla demos and can actually record vanilla compat demos in SP (Which is to say, you can record a SP demo in Odamex and play it back in Doom2.exe - Nifty, huh?) yet at the same time it supports slopes, deep water, MAPINFO, and has full compatability with Boom linedef actions/sector types/etc, hence me thinking of it as a lite alternative to ZDoom.

I host a deathmatch/multiplayer centric IRC channel called #DMstuff on irc.quakenet.org, Vulture and many other cool DMers hang out there. We're mainy OS focused, so you'll fit right in!

Of course, there's also a great deathmatch IRC channel for Zandro players - #deathmatch over at irc.zandronum.com, if you feel any desire to tiptoe into NS territory that will be a great place to start.

Linking this for reference/relevance, and adding to OP: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/69270-multiplayer-doom-online-tutorial-zandro-zd-odamex-legacy-etc/