Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's a "signal 11 error" demo.
Recorded with prboom-plus-2.5.1.3.
Alien Vendetta map 13 tyson attempt.
Game crashed suddenly after more than an hour of normal playing.
Error message said "exiting on signal 11".
This has never happened to me before, so it was a nice experience.
What a brutal end to a long demo that looked promising.
I wonder what caused it.

av13-signal11-crash.zip

I strongly recommend to link the demo in he official pr+ sticky thread in the Source Ports subforum. It could be a valuable debugging case.

Showing off that in map21 of Hellcore there's a place from where you can trigger intercepts overflow (all-ghosts bug) with 100% reliability.

What's also shown in the demo is that even after triggering the bug monsters can hurt the player with both projectiles and hitscan attacks as well as the player can hurt them if shooting from certain places. This normally shouldn't happen and I wonder what's the explanation for that. Seems like TimeOfDeath might possibly know more about this.

Recorded with hc092604.wad and -complevel 2.

"Action" starts at around 1:40 (-skipsec 100)

thisshouldnotbehappening.zip

Lol, fascinating.
I assume it's somehow related to that Kama Sutra easter egg demo where Anima Zero gets stuck in the ceiling. I think so because, just like in that case, a nearby pain elemental was involved.

j4rio said:

getting stuck inside solid wall

Next step: Find a place where this trick saves time.

j4rio said:

getting stuck inside solid wall, plays with doom 2

Is that reproducible at all? It looked like standing most of the way over a ledge while a lost soul attempted to spawn inside you pushed you to ground level.

It can't have anything to do with spawning a Lost Soul, because the level is clearly still above the 20-LS limit, and the check and return in A_PainShootSkull is done before even attempting to spawn a LS.

It is almost certainly a bug related to handling collisions between solid objects (in this case player and PE), probably triggers because they try to move against each other. The PE enters his walking animation and calls Chase function in the exact moment when the player gets stuck, and it seems that the player enters a different sector (than the sector he was in before) in the exact same moment too. Those are probably the critical factors.

Linguica said:

It can't have anything to do with spawning a Lost Soul, because the level is clearly still above the 20-LS limit, and the check and return in A_PainShootSkull is done before even attempting to spawn a LS.

Then why is a lost soul spawned (and instantly killed)? Because it is not over the 20 limit.

I though before than the only way to avoid av blast damage
but receive direct one is to have high enough step/pole between the player and av
_and_ to push against it in the moment of attack.
But somehow it happened in a very different way:
sodfinal map06

sd06p_av_wtf2.zip

Looper said:

Then why is a lost soul spawned (and instantly killed)? Because it is not over the 20 limit.

What? I didn't see any Lost Souls spawned by PEs throughout the whole demo. Even once the player is stuck you can see a PE trying to spawn Lost Souls and failing.

GrumpyCat said:

I though before than the only way to avoid av blast damage
but receive direct one is to have high enough step/pole between the player and av
_and_ to push against it in the moment of attack.
But somehow it happened in a very different way:
sodfinal map06

Same happened to me in the TAS challenge 2(?) where you have 50 bullets and pistol against an arch-vile in an open field. For some reason, I overwrote the demo and couldn't check what actually caused it.

Linguica said:

What? I didn't see any Lost Souls spawned by PEs throughout the whole demo. Even once the player is stuck you can see a PE trying to spawn Lost Souls and failing.

I looked it in xdre and you can see a lost soul behind the player, dying. Also the map was pretty much cleared out of the lost souls anyways(?).

At that point in the demo it should be possible for PE to spawn exactly one soul. After that the soul limit would be reached again.

Both chainers stop shooting,
then a-v killed the first one then he killed the second
instead of going to idle state! Why?
Has it something to do with splash damage?

Sunlust map08

sl08p_wtf.zip

That could be a Boom AI modification. I think some versions of Doom have it so that monsters remember their previous targets after their current target dies. You can consider this a "wild guess" until someone confirms it. The only relevant item I can find in the Boom change log is "Monsters don't sleep after killing monsters, just because player is out of sight."

Plutonia 2, MAP06. A chaingunner flagged as "deaf" wakes up and opens the red door for me from the other side (not requiring any keys from the other side)

p206hm.zip

Another demo where I manage to die and press the exit switch at the same time, plays back with tnt, happens at map04, and I end dying at map08 due to all the plasma ammo lost in that map04 death.

30tn-ded.zip

Ancalagon said:

Another demo where I manage to die and press the exit switch at the same time, plays back with tnt, happens at map04, and I end dying at map08 due to all the plasma ammo lost in that map04 death.

During UV-Speed I noticed a nice trick on map 10 that can help you. If you stand in the right corner of the first door while using a specific angle and while holding SR50 and then open the door, you can skip the trigger which opens up the wall to the monsters.

If you should death exit again and lose ammo, pacifist method for last room of map 08 might work better, and as cyber said, very surprised to see you make it that far considering how much something like that would throw you off from what you've prepared for on nightmare :)

From practice map10 has enough hp to not be a problem at all (ok I died there once, but that was really stupid), a magical skip thru the fence in map20 would be a lot better ;) , or skip the trigger that makes the shotgunners spawn in map08 and the pacifist method would be reliable

Demo by SAV88 for Hellbound
On 38 secs happened a strange glitch where rocket suddenly disappeared.
I thought it's because of prboom 2.5.1.3 but same thing happening in 2.5.1.4.