Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not many Wads are designed for Brutal Doom or Project Brutality. Although a great many map packs can be played with it and be stable at the same time. However the difficulty will become a bit ridiculous, especially in slaughter maps. So you will find yourself having a hard time and in many unfair situations.

I can give you a tip and suggest you visit Moddb if you haven't already. You can check out a list of wads people released dedicated to brutal doom and even track the page to notify you when more wads dedicated to it are released.

You may find that Brutal Doom has become fairly mainstream and famous but it is a rather tiny spec or at best a mere chapter in the world of Doom Wads. Therefore it isn't a big deal, beloved nor catered to in Doom dedicated forums. Sorry I can't help you with any direct answers.

However if you hang around I'm working on a Megawad designed specifically for Brutal Doom V19 (v20 has bugs that would ruin some of my triggers and events). Highly detailed maps with themes, creatures placed specifically to balance Brutal Doom's mechanics and difficulty etc. I'm also adding lots of custom content like new monsters (but I'm too noob to enable berserk fatalities and variety of deaths on them).

Anyway, I'm planning to release my Wad's first 6 maps when I complete its first chapter. It's not far off. I'm really hoping to impress people with it.

***EDIT***

Here are a few Megawads that I played and can confirm it can run with Brutal Doom (and maybe Project Brutality) flawlessly, but again potentially very difficult:
- Scythe 2
- Whispers of Satan
- NERVE (I think this is 9 maps long)
- Going Down (Really impressive and 2014 award winning Megawad but really difficult for BD)
- Recurring Nightmare-beta which I believe was totally designed for Brutal Doom, v20 in particular. 2 chapters recreating the original Doom chapters are completed.

Chezza said:

Not many Wads are designed for Brutal Doom or Project Brutality. Although a great many map packs can be played with it and be stable at the same time. However the difficulty will become a bit ridiculous, especially in slaughter maps. So you will find yourself having a hard time and in many unfair situations.

I can give you a tip and suggest you visit Moddb if you haven't already. You can check out a list of wads people released dedicated to brutal doom and even track the page to notify you when more wads dedicated to it are released.

You may find that Brutal Doom has become fairly mainstream and famous but it is a rather tiny spec or at best a mere chapter in the world of Doom Wads. Therefore it isn't a big deal, beloved nor catered to in Doom dedicated forums. Sorry I can't help you with any direct answers.

However if you hang around I'm working on a Megawad designed specifically for Brutal Doom V19 (v20 has bugs that would ruin some of my triggers and events). Highly detailed maps with themes, creatures placed specifically to balance Brutal Doom's mechanics and difficulty etc. I'm also adding lots of custom content like new monsters (but I'm too noob to enable berserk fatalities and variety of deaths on them).

Anyway, I'm planning to release my Wad's first 6 maps when I complete its first chapter. It's not far off. I'm really hoping to impress people with it.

***EDIT***

Here are a few Megawads that I played and can confirm it can run with Brutal Doom (and maybe Project Brutality) flawlessly, but again potentially very difficult:
- Scythe 2
- Whispers of Satan
- NERVE (I think this is 9 maps long)
- Going Down (Really impressive and 2014 award winning Megawad but really difficult for BD)
- Recurring Nightmare-beta which I believe was totally designed for Brutal Doom, v20 in particular. 2 chapters recreating the original Doom chapters are completed.

Thanks man, will definitely try these maps and yours too when it's done.

Also, you mentioned BD V20 ruins some events, do you mean things like thing_spawn and monster death events? I had these in my wad I'm working on and these didn't work on Brutal Doom v20, so do these things work with v19?

AwesomeO-789 said:

Thanks man, will definitely try these maps and yours too when it's done.

Also, you mentioned BD V20 ruins some events, do you mean things like thing_spawn and monster death events? I had these in my wad I'm working on and these didn't work on Brutal Doom v20, so do these things work with v19?

I don't believe v20 of Brutal Doom caused me any issue with spawning, to my knowledge. But I haven't really tested Monster Spawning in v20. Although I had hell of a time getting spawning to work in my first attempts. However this is regarding scripting. I'm not sure if you're using linedef specials instead.

But to get an ACS script to work, place a "MapSpot" Thing found under ZDoom Thing tab (using GZDoom UDMF format, you can use DoomBuilder 2 UDMF format) and give it a tag. Let's use 1.

Then put this in your scripts:

Spoiler

#include "zcommon.acs"

Script 1 (Void)

{
SpawnSpot ("DoomIMP", 1, 1, 180);
}

And then you just need a trigger to tell the script to run. So usually a "walk over" linedef on your map with a special of "Script Execute" and set to to execute script 1.

Anyway, my maps literally has triggers causing monsters to do fatalities on friendly Marines just for show. In V19 they work mostly fine (except for the moments they use a projectile instead) but in V20 half the time they don't even activate OR the Marine is invincible. In addition, I have triggers for Thing_Hate so enemies fight each other ONLY when you open a specific door but V20 makes it they attack each other immediately prior to the trigger (although there are ways around it with more scripts). So until a reliable patch/update for V20 is released I'm going to stick with V19. A shame really. I might have to rework all the scripts to suit V20 someday.

Oh and if you're testing your maps via the Editor you will experience strange anomalies for Brutal Doom / Project Brutality. Some non vanilla animations will result in odd inappropriate sprites etc. To test your map properly with Brutal Doom you need to place your map into skins folder and launch Doom normally or locate your Maps under a file directory and do the whole 'right-click, open with, open with Zandronum or GZDoom'.

Maps that have these sorts of scripting should not be used with BD.

Going Down is a great suggestion. Tried it this afternoon and really enjoyed it!

I made this set, it's totally vanilla compat but also works well with BD. There are a lot of enemies, but not "slaughtermaps", that's for sure. As long as you dont jump and crouch you aught to be fine :)

Doomkid said:

I made this set, it's totally vanilla compat but also works well with BD. There are a lot of enemies, but not "slaughtermaps", that's for sure. As long as you dont jump and crouch you aught to be fine :)

Awesome! Added to bookmarks, will definitely download and play it later :D

Shameless self promotion. Very difficult with BD (the Overkill set, that is) or any mod that increases difficulty such as Complex Doom. Still difficult with minimal or vanilla gameplay.