Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spooner5020

Usb mouse isn't working

Ok the mouse is a Logitech usb. It's wired. The light is on but the mouse cursor doesn't move. I've gone to device manager uninstalled it,disabled it and everything else. Nothing has worked. I guess a question I want answered now is if I get a ps/2 mouse will that work? I just don't want to have to start from factory settings. Please help me out here.

The laser/optics could be bad. It's not worth messing with. Get a new mouse for $5 at the local electronics store.

If your computer has a PS/2 port, then you need to shut your computer down, plug it in, then power back on.

There are PS/2 > USB adapters.

I don't know what you mean by "start from factory settings" but you don't need to reinstall Windows etc to change out a mouse.

The reason why I asked if I needed to start from factory settings is because originally it said the driver was missing or corrupt but now it doesn't say anything except that the driver is working. Also I have tried 2 other mouses they are both Logitech and they don't work either. But one of them worked on another computer.

Does your BIOS have an interface where there is a cursor? Some modern BIOS's have a GUI with a mouse cursor. If it works in the BIOS it's a problem in Windows.

I'd reset settings to default in the BIOS. If the mice work without issue on another computer, then it's either your USB ports or some weird driver stuff.

Are you connecting through front panel USB connectors or USB ports directly on the back of the motherboard? You might have bad front ports or usb header on the motherboard.

Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling your motherboard chipset drivers?

Just asking the obvious here:

a) Have you tried the mouse on another computer?
b) Do you have another (USB) mouse to see whether it works?

To continue with "obvious" (because we all forget them at least once) questions:

• Did this work before? Did any USB mouse work before?
  • If it worked before, when did it stop working? Did you change anything around that time or did anything else change? Updates? Virus? Weird crash? etc.
  • What other people said - have a close read again if you haven't tried those things.
  • Have you tried all the USB ports on the PC?
  • The cursor doesn't move. Do the buttons work?
  • Are you using them on a glass table or shiny surface if they're optical?
  • If for some weird reason all your mice aren't optical have you de-linted the insides?
  • Did the one that was a known good work recently?
  • Do you have problems with any other USB devices?
You haven't said anything about what version of Windows you're using or what kind of motherboard you have. They usually don't affect USB mice unless your computer is from the 90s or running something older than XP, but more information is better.

SavageCorona said:

I've heard many horror stories about Logitech mice that just stop working for no reason.

I've had the Logitech MX510 mouse since 2004 (I think), and although it's gone through some wear and tear, it still works. "If it ain't broke..."

My alienware mouse somehow died from static damage, it would always be identified as unknown device.

I mean if your optic mouse is busted, rest in peices. Get a new mouse. Unless you bought a gaming mouse (???) they're pretty cheap as far as electronics go. it does suck though.

Speaking of gaming "mice", I recently "lost" one I got from LIDL in 2010 or so. Out of the blue, it simply started acting up and not being recognized as a USB device at all, sometimes the LEDs wouldn't even light up. Really good mouse otherwise, and quite cheap as far as gaming mice go. It even had selectable (!) weight with a "revolver" where you could load or unload lead pellets.

(it's the wired one, in this pic)

Well...I got it for 18 Euros...so you could say that at less than 4 Euros per year, it was a bargain...sorta.

Holy smack, That's what a gaming mouse is? Jeez. That's actually kind of understandable. I'm sorry for your loss.

Maes said:

It even had selectable (!) weight with a "revolver" where you could load or unload lead pellets.

Interesting, but what's the point of that? I mean, is it about "comfort" or do the pellets actually have another function?

HavoX said:

I've had the Logitech MX510 mouse since 2004 (I think), and although it's gone through some wear and tear, it still works. "If it ain't broke..."

The mouse wheel crapped out on mine about a year ago. Had that thing for a long time. I have to open it up one of these days and see if I can fix it.

Zed said:

Interesting, but what's the point of that? I mean, is it about "comfort" or do the pellets actually have another function?

It's about weight adjustment for a purpose. Some like a lighter mouse for quick twitch reaction times, others like a heavier mouse for precision for sniping 'n stuff.

Zed said:

The pellets just make the weight of the mouse adjustable. Some Logitech mice come with different sets of weights you can use. I don't know if it makes much difference. The G500 I got as a hand-me-down from my brother has a square cartridge that fits in the bottom at a 45-degree angle (even has an eject button). Right now it has six 45 g weights in it. I don't know where my brother put the other set. Taking the thing out doesn't really seem to affect the feel of the mouse; it's already a heavy mouse.

The truth is, that after used a weighed-down mouse, it's hard to go back to "featherweight" ones. Of course, you don't have to buy a "1337 pr0 fux0r h4x0r 3l1r3 $|\|1P3R g4m3r" for that, you could weigh down a regular mouse with lead, a rock or even concrete.