Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The /er2

Zdoom vs. Jdoom

What does everyone here like better in their opinion. Jdoom, or Zdoom??

I like Jdoom 5x better. let's see what everyone else thinks...

No arguments? pfft.

I like ZDOOM better. Why?

Scripts.
3D cheating tools.
Water.
The ability to do nearly anything.

Uh, jDoom has it's own scripting system, and in the future it'd probably be able to do what ZDoom can do...now that would fucking rule.

jDoom = Fancy Graphics
ZDoom = Kick ass gameplay plus heaps of editing features and the like

So yeah it's a matter of personal preference.

jdoom = eye candy
boom = amazing
prboom = the logical continuation of boom
zdoom = copied boom's stuff and added a bunch of stupid bug-ridden bs

ZDoom has a very powerful scripting system that is growing bigger and better every day.

if JDoom wants to reach it, it has a lot to do.

also ZDoom has now almost all the dukes and hexen and boom features and is aquiring newer features gradually, so no one would guess what port is my favorite!

It depends on the wad im playing. If I want to play something that has scripting, slopes, and all that other fun stuff (which is rare) I'll use ZDooM. If it's just a normal wad I'll use JDooM.

Zdoom doesnt have opengl unless you use Zdoomgl. Jdoom has scripting abilities already, you can do almost everything that you can do in Zdoom. Jdoom has lens flares, 3d models (good ones) Really cool smoke trails, glowing water, particles such as blood and fire clouds, Smooth model movement, New Hud Weapons, awesome lighting, Surround sound support, Mp3 support, and of course all of the basic stuff (auto aim off, crosshair, new hud, jumping, shortcut keys, etc.)
There is also pain skins for the monsters. The more you shoot them, the more bloody they get. Not to mention that the Zombies have several different faces like in Unreal Tournament.

Someone said that Zdoom is always getting better? They hardly ever update... Sky Jake is working on Jdoom all year around and constantly releasing new versions. The only better thing I can see about Zdoom is just a few extra scripting options, and that's it. Everything else looks 10x better in Jdoom. Infact, I am always in touch with Sky Jake, and he plans on making the next Jdoom support up to 85 FPS. It will also contain lots and lots of other good stuff.

The /er2 said:

Someone said that Zdoom is always getting better? They hardly ever update...

Hooray for ignorance.

mustafa saed said:

the/ er2 stop smokein the crack! jdoom can't even touch
zdoom let alone look at it!

I don't want to hear crap like this, give me the arguements!! So why is Zdoom better? The only thing I can think of is the few extra scripts that Zdoom has. What else makes it better? Everything about Jdoom is better.

I am trying to have a nice civilized discussion here... I would like to hear arguments, not "ignorance"
So why is Zdoom better?

The /er2 said:

I don't want to hear crap like this, give me the arguements!! So why is Zdoom better? The only thing I can think of is the few extra scripts that Zdoom has. What else makes it better? Everything about Jdoom is better.

I am trying to have a nice civilized discussion here... I would like to hear arguments, not "ignorance"
So why is Zdoom better?

boom support, but it even fucked some of that over royally.

Arioch said:

and oblivion = moron

Arioch is the spam champ...

ZDoom is good, but yeah, jDoom is pretty good as well.

And there is some Boom support for the Doomsday engine, you can get it on the site...called Boomsday.

oblivion said:

do you ever have anything even slightly useful to say?

Arioch has funny kill lines.

ZDoom is better because I like it more.

So why is Zdoom better?

Heh, so when you want a "nice civilized discussion [...] with arguments", why did you not post any arguments in your very first post. Threads like this will always end up in a (small) flamewar.

boris said:

ZDoom is better because I like it more.

Heh, so when you want a "nice civilized discussion [...] with arguments", why did you not post any arguments in your very first post. Threads like this will always end up in a (small) flamewar.

see my first reply :P

boris said:

Heh, so when you want a "nice civilized discussion [...] with arguments", why did you not post any arguments in your very first post.

I posted this thread because I thought people would say which they like better and why. Not just something like "Zdoom is better" or "Jdoom is better"
Since I got no arguments, I decided to post a reply with a long paragraph about what I like about Jdoom, and see if anyone could say anything about Zdoom. But so far no one has, they have just called me ignorant, and say I am smoking crack.
So I ask you all nicely again... Why is Zdoom better? No one has said any reasons yet. Are any of you going to post reasons why Zdoom is better, or can you not think of any reasons? Maybe you just won't admit that Jdoom is better...
Try to prove me wrong by putting up a discussion of why Zdoom is better.

mmnpsrsoskl is the only one that has said anything relevent to this thread after I posted my argument. Thanks, I hope more people will join.

Let's start with:

ZDoom is fully Boom-compatible. JDoom isn't.
ZDoom supports slopes. JDoom doesn't.
ZDoom has more-or-less working peer-to-peer multiplayer. I've never heard or seen of people playing JDoom multiplayer.

ZDoom can play Vrack2. JDoom ... can't.

Arioch said:

Let's start with:

ZDoom is fully Boom-compatible. JDoom isn't.
ZDoom supports slopes. JDoom doesn't.
ZDoom has more-or-less working peer-to-peer multiplayer. I've never heard or seen of people playing JDoom multiplayer.

ZDoom can play Vrack2. JDoom ... can't.

hoooray! Finally another person joined... Good job Arioch :)

About the Boom-Compatible thing... check out the very last file at the bottom of the web page: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/download_jdoom.php
It is a Boom-Compatible Doomsday engine!

About the Slopes... I think the Jdoom .ded files can make slopes, but I'm not completely sure on this one. I will have to go read through the Jdoom readme file.

About the Multiplayer... You havent seen the new version of Jdoom have you? It has really good Multiplayer support, and even has a Master Server. If more people would start playing Jdoom, the master server could find more games. it takes 2 seconds to set up a Network game here at my home. My friends and I even played a bunch of good games over our cable connections. The new Multiplayer menu is just like a Unreal Tournament Style. It is very good.

About the ZDoom can play Vrack2 JDoom can't thing... I'm sure someone could easily convert this over to Jdoom if they knew the Jdoom scripting system. The Jdoom scripting system is improving all the time, so if it can't play it now, it will be able to later. Sky Jake is working on another big version of Jdoom right now.

I am currently trying to download Boomsday. I am going to try Vrack2 and see if it works. If Vrack2 doesn't work with Jdoom, well then Zdoom gets 1 little point. If it does work, then you had better come up with some more arguments :)
Even so, no one has said enough things to pull me away from those tons of cool features I mentioned earlier about Jdoom... the glorious 3d models with Smooth animation, particles, pain skins, more than 1 face, etc. Well i already went through all that. :)

Liam, this is a Zdoom vs. Jdoom thread, not Legacy vs. Jdoom vs. Zdoom :)

The /er2 said:

Even so, no one has said enough things to pull me away from those tons of cool features I mentioned earlier about Jdoom...

Um... nobody wants to pull you away from your favourite source port. This "discussion" ist just pointless.

Legacy is better than JDoom, but thats only cos my comp is slow ;)

And nothing beats ZDoom.

I might like JDoom better the day it has ACS, Hexen format maps, and can startup faster than ZDoom... (which will be, umm, never.)