Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Blip.tv Has Shut Down as of August 20, 2015

As of August 20, 2015, blip.tv has shut down according to their official website. Well, now it's just a simple page as seen here, and clicking on the Blip logo will take you to a message that explains what happened.

This is what the thread said before:

Remember how it was said that Maker studios ruined Blip.tv when they were cutting down on content creators on their website? (there's also this on that) Well now, Blip.tv is shutting down as a whole on August 20, 2015. Users of Blip.tv got this letter about this, and it's really sad news. Channel Awesome wasn't affected by this too much since they started using a new player for their videos, but I wonder how others will be affected by this?

Read this for more information:
http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/maker-studios-is-shutting-down-blip-next-month-1201544219/

Brutally, and over simplifying: basically a failed alternative to YouTube.

I wouldn't exactly call it failed. It found a nice niche among reviewers that were fed up of being constantly banned from YouTube because of overaggressive ContentID matches. I wonder what they'll do now...

Did Maker even use blip themselves? I mean, Maker companies like Polaris uses Maker's own player if I am not mistaken.

chungy said:

I wouldn't exactly call it failed.

Depends how you measure success, of course, but it is shutting down. Also, plenty of people never even heard of it, let alone watched anything on it, so it wasn't too good at getting content "out there" versus YouTube.

its kind of weird that i never heard, read, or encountered anything about this... blip.tv. And i have seen the shitholes of the web.

chungy said:

I wonder what they'll do now...

Go back to youtube... maybe vimeo if they're fine with a smaller audience.

Enjay said:

Depends how you measure success, of course, but it is shutting down. Also, plenty of people never even heard of it, let alone watched anything on it, so it wasn't too good at getting content "out there" versus YouTube.

That and their horrendously aggressive anti-adblock tactics probably didn't help matters ...

i used to watch the atheist experience on blip.tv, but later switched to watching it on youtube. havent visited since then

Dang, That's sort of sad. But, to be honest... Does this really belong In a DOOM Forum? Eh, It's In "Everything Else" anyways.

I just think it's a shame that YouTube literally has a monopoly that no entity can challenge at this point. In the old days, did one corporation own every single TV network? Cause thats essentially what YouTube is.

Doomkid said:

I just think it's a shame that YouTube literally has a monopoly that no entity can challenge at this point. In the old days, did one corporation own every single TV network? Cause thats essentially what YouTube is.

It's mostly Google, I remember when YouTube was YouTube, to be honest.

Doomkid said:

I cant look at it as having a monopoly... i cant even begin to compare it to television... next to the Korean Broadcasting System tv station running 24/7 on youtube. And There are many more video hosting and streaming services next to the 4 obvious ones like Vimeo, Youtube, Niconico, Ustream, and so on.

FireFish said:

I cant look at it as having a monopoly...

At the moment it's probably closer to a predator-prey relationship, with YouTube as the apex predator.

Welp, that's it. As of August 20, 2015, blip.tv has shut down according to their official website. It's now just a simple page as seen here, and clicking on the Blip logo will take you to a message that gives more information.

NiTROACTiVE said:

Welp, that's it. As of August 20, 2015, blip.tv has shut down according to their official website. It's now just a simple page as seen here, and clicking on the Blip logo will take you to a message that gives more information.

I was just on it earlier and it was live, must have just happened.

So Maker wasted money buying it it seems..

Just like the way CBS wasted 270 million for Last.fm.

Glaice said:

Just like the way CBS wasted 270 million for Last.fm.

Hehh... now it makes sense why last.fm got an insufferable layout revamp and the xmplay plugin started crashing the player. Corporate stupidity. Time to say goodbye.

Google was losing a lot of money on Youtube up until a few years ago.

Well although now that I'm looking for references as of February 2015 its still not making money >> http://www.businessinsider.com/youtube-still-doesnt-make-google-any-money-2015-2

So I guess that nullifies my first statement, although I find conflicting information between makes profit and breaks even.

Google still makes $100 per click for lawyer and doctor ads in search results so I'm sure they're doing fine.

In the past, my company was hired to make a video player by someone that just took the credit for it on his resume, before selling it to larger companies. There are videos on his resume of people thanking him for making the player when I'm the one that did it. Funny thing is the videos on his resume do not use the video player he hired us to make him. Hilarious.

Lucky for him, my company signed a non disclosure saying we won't tell. We got paid, he made the money. He comes back when he needs work done.

vizyeay said:

No wonder Nostalgia Critic moved all of his Blip and new videos to Channel Awesome.

Pretty sure, and LGR (Lazy Game Reviews) Is going to stay with YouTube now.

Nostalgia Critic was good if you wanted to see a 30 minute version of a movie under the guise of a review parody. Fair use abuse.

None of those movies are worth watching anyways. If anything he did his audience a disservice by featuring so much footage.

How else can a reviewer show what they're talking about? By describing it with words? No that's not what reviewers and review parodies do they show you things no matter how long it takes. That way the jokes write themselves and don't even need to be said.