Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
petePESTILENCE

Help A beggining Doom64 Mapper?

Hello fellow doomers.
I am in the process of building my first (probably crap :P) Doom map, (hopefully beats a terry in ratings though....)

Anyway.....I have a rough idea on what I am doing, just using standard textures and such in order to learn. But in the future I'm looking to add custom textures/prefabs and such.

Now my questions are as follow. Is the process of creating custom textures and prefabs at all similar to regular doom? If I was to use public assets (textures,models,prefabs) from a standard doom wad and move them to doom64, would there be much re-scaling/editing involved? pallet changes? Is there a way to utilise voodoo dolls, and if not how would I incorporate the evil trap in doom64 that freezes player, zooms out of character and proceeds to gibs character? (forgot mapname, happens when collecting a "rigged" body amour or powerup)

Thank you in advance for any assistance :)

oh and praise be to Kaiser for giving us Doom64ex!

I'm not actually sure on this one. I'll post back in a moment after some quick testing and experiments.

Edit:
Well this page explains everything far faster than I ever could regarding textures.

Voodoo dolls aren't possible (yet?), meaning you'll need to utilise Doom 64's one-at-a-time scripting method, macros!

Now this macro-related nonsense is something that I have absolutely no experience with whatsoever as far as making my own goes. Poking around inside the DOOM64.WAD entries and examining Hectic (MAP32.WAD) though might give you some clues as to how it all works. Seems to be items tagged to linedefs which are triggered when said item is touched (not necessarily picked up).

How would I go about looking into those entries? what program would i use, because I'm having trouble opening any doom64.wad map in db64

Edit: Thanks for linking me to that page also :)

SLADE 3 can open and explore just about any WAD out there. Each map is another WAD within DOOM64.WAD, which is why DB64 won't recognise them without extracting them first.

Hi fellow Doom64 mapper

to add textures in your wad its simple and you only need slade. then you need only to add the entry TX_START > then import your textures > TX_END simple as that and if you need to add more texture later just click on your last texture before the TX_END marker and you are ready to go.

Dont worry about scaling, only matter that your texture must must have a size that its multiple of 2, most of doom64 texture are just 64x64 because it uses the feature UV H wrap mirror and UV V Wrap mirror which make the texture tile horizontally or vertically respectively.

about your trap kill, no right now doom64ex dont have voodoo dolls (as soon you add a new player spot then the later dont spawn ingame) the kill trap from Hectic im pretty sure its madde with macros. im not sure how its done since i cant open doom64.wad maps in my doom64ex. and the last time i played that map in Doom64ex the trap didnt worked too.

The maps in the DOOM64.wad are stored in their own wad files, you'll need to extract that wad file and open THAT in the map editor.
Since Kaiser moved the macro system to an ACS environment, you can't just open the vanilla maps and look at the macros anymore. I believe there is a way to convert the old macro algorithm to the new one in EX so you can view them and edit them.

Z0k said:

Hi fellow Doom64 mapper

to add textures in your wad its simple and you only need slade. then you need only to add the entry TX_START > then import your textures > TX_END simple as that and if you need to add more texture later just click on your last texture before the TX_END marker and you are ready to go.

And then he does this and it doesn't work because Doom 64 EX uses TT_START/TT_END. gg no re.

I'm having another issue where i can't get teleporters to functions.
I've set linedef action, set corresponding tags on linedefs and sector, placed teleport destination, but its not working :(

BaronOfStuff said:

And then he does this and it doesn't work because Doom 64 EX uses TT_START/TT_END. gg no re.

hahah no need to be rude dude :D i made a mistake like everyone else, im confused sometimes in that since TX For gzdoom and TT for D64. :P