Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

maybe we added them too soon, i think they will look consistent once the new monsters are in, they will probably need some more editing to make them look more different from each other tho

They're meant to be the same creatures as the one in the pestmester's arm cannon. They're also what the cyberzam used to be before AGM mutated it. Once those two are added the powerups will be right at home.

The idea is to have something for the story to center around, rather than just be a rambling mess like it was to begin with. Doom had hell, so Freedoom has a lizard planet.
If you don't like the design, feel free to make a new one. As with all of freedoom's stuff, if you don't like it, you can make a replacement.
(As much as I think the little zams suit the game, it'd be interesting to see more powerup concepts)

Maz Hades said:

The idea is to have something for the story to center around, rather than just be a rambling mess like it was to begin with. Doom had (a broad concept encompassing numerous themes), so Freedoom has (an incredibly specific motif repeated ad infinitum).

People keep complaining but nobody's actually coming up with new ideas. If you have a problem with what we're doing currently, make your own thing and present it to be added to freedoom. Creativity, people.

Those powerups look like they belong in a game for 5-year-olds.

There's been many great additions to FreeDoom recently (and more in the works), and I'm glad to see FreeDoom progressing and developing its own lore, but I don't agree with making the general tone of the game more childish or silly.

Maz Hades said:

If you have a problem with what we're doing currently, make your own thing and present it to be added to freedoom.

Right, I'll be more specific. If you don't like the direction we're heading in, you need to tell us what you think should be changed. Empty complaints result in zero progress. I'm happy to try spriting people's ideas, but you need to tell us them first.

I have always felt freedoom had a gritty semi-steampunk style. This gritty style is very compatible with pwads and looks good. Raymoo's sprites are perfect for this, though a bit polished. That bloax edited mancubus that was recently posted is perfect, it looks good and polished but maintains this grittiness.

Cartoon-like cute aliens just do not fit at all with the theme of almost all the other resources. I do like that alien with the two fireballs, it could be menacing enough to replace the lost soul.

Yay, actual constructive criticism :D I'll try making the little zams creepier/more alien-like.
(edit) Thusly:

Spoiler

And here's a terrible attempt at spriting it:

Better?

But is that really a powerup? Powerups seem like they should be like some kind of item, not a creature. I thought the new health and armor bonus would be great for two of the powerups.

Maybe revert the old health and armor bonuses(they could use a little touch up) and turn the new bonuses into powerups. I think they are almost the same but with different colors. Could use different colors for each powerup or modify them a bit so the themes match but they can be differentiated.

love the new design of that little thing!

as i said before the only prob with the reptiles is that they need to be more different from each other. i think the fact that they seem harmless works well with theyre intended purpose. they are not enemies, they are allies, wich is why they give you a powerup when you rescue them (pick them up). compare it to the rescue mechanic in hovertank 3d, except that here you actually have a benefit to doing it

about the lots soul, i think the current lost soul should stay, along with the worm its one of the better sprites freedoom has

@cato

having the powerup spheres be creatures to rescue from agm makes the protagonist into a freedom fighter, and gives the game a bit more narrative. consider how the powerups, monsters and keen replacement will tie together. also only the spheres are being turned into creatures, since having animation it seems like a good opportunity. also reverting the armor and health bonus is a bad idea, the originals where too crappy

They power you up by biting you and injecting you with venom, which depending on the one you save has different effects on you.
Please don't use that horrible sprite I just made for them, they really need something that wasn't drawn by a half-asleep person XD
Also once we finalise the zam's design I'll update the Keen replacement sprites.

I'll concentrate on the frontal ones to begin with, but when they're done I could probably do rotations, since they're just small.

What if the zamanthytes were, in fact, robots with artificially-grown organic exteriors? They could be a peaceful cyborg race which AGM is exploiting. Here's a very quick concept pic:

Spoiler

They'd naturally have a lot of robotic parts showing, which would provide plenty of scope for interesting spritework, but AGM's modified battle zams would have more or less organic parts, depending on the monster. Also this design incorporates the blobby, slimy aspect of the lower half as well as the skeletal aspect of the upper half, making it even more alien.

sounds good to me, althoug i still think each zam should have a theme that reflects the nature of the powerup (though i do want them all to be cyborgs), for example, the invulnerability zam could take inspiration from bruiser monsters or have yellow glowing eyes like the hud face. the invisibility zam could have a more techie appearence, the nurse theme works well for soulzam, it just needs to have the new creepier design

nice drawing btw ;)

I'm sorry, but I really don't think Zamanthytes fit at all, anywhere. As far as story goes, setting is more important than plot for something like Doom or Freedoom. We don't need anything that's boils down to more than "here's some monsters, get to the end of the level and kill them if you can".

lets wait and see the new maz sprites, its not like having that element detracts in any way from gameplay, and the idea is potentially cooler than some spheres

I think freedoom should not really have a specific story. I have posted and read several and but have concluded that something very generic would actually be better.

Should every pwad on idgames be zam themed? If the resources just fit our current theme then many pwads remain neutral. I think these are pushing a storyline on the resources themselves. A neutral item would look good whether its in hell, on a moon base, the fifth dimension, on earth, and such.

I think we should polish up what we have and/or replace the placeholders. Raymoo's sprites are perfect, we need monsters that have a coherent theme that feel neutral in all pwads.

why dont we wait and see the new sprites, even the ones that are in right now are better than the spheres where. lets at least give maz a chance to make some new ones

also having 4 reptilian items doesnt force a story on all pwads, theres more items in the game than these four

getting back on topic here are some corrected ish frames of the octi

in case your wondering about my slowness as of late, im trying to get used to gimp. its very frustrating to use, but photoshop crashes too much on my turdy computer. i mostly do the drawing and painting on gimp, since doing anything else is a pain on the ass on my small monitor, so i switch to photoshop to do the rest

Now see, this is the attitude they had when they were designing Doom 3. "We need some kind of creepy monster which will crawl out of holes and swarm the player. Should we make a hellish locust beast, like the ones mentioned in the book of revelations, which is full of creepy weird hellish shit?"
"No, we don't want to make it too different or weird. Let's just use a FUCKING THING HEADSPIDER"
The reptillian theme is to replace the demonic theme, and just as there were different kinds of demon in doom, so freedoom can have different types of reptile. Cyborg reptiles are generic enough, while providing scope for individuality between monsters. I'm working on the cyberzam sprite now, so I'll post it soon.
@Raymoohawk yea boi dem sweet 'tween frames :D Have you tried paint.net? It may or may not be easier to use than gimp

raymoohawk said:

getting back on topic here are some corrected ish frames of the octi

That is a lot of attention to detail. Do you work from the 3d model ( http://opengameart.org/content/octaminator ), or it is just a fan art?

raymoohawk said:

photoshop crashes too much on my turdy computer.

Photoshop (CS5) crashes on all kinds of computers and occasions. The most annoying crash is when you try to save your work (especially as a png file), then Photoshop also crashes, when you are trying to transform layer shared between several animation frames. Sometime it crashes just because it feels like it is the time to crash and there is nothing you can do.

teh bucket did that model as a request from me based on older sprites i made. the metal parts of the new sprites are heavely edited from renders of the model, some of the tentacles where done from scratch, others are edits of the same renders.

below is the original, this is what teh bucket used as referent for the model

about the crashing, ive had all those happen to me, but crashing during saving has been happening to me a lot lately