Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychoGoatee

Four player deathmatch. Kind of a dud? (edit: can have more possibly)

Nobody is talking much about the multiplayer, and it looks like it might be another dud like Doom3's multiplayer.

The presentation says it has four player deathmatch. Considering the fast paced feel they're going for, probably wanting to appeal to some Quake3 players etc, I don't see how this will keep people's interest.

It should be an option, include a couple maps that might be four player only, if that close smaller style is a vision they like. But at least include the option for some slightly bigger battles, even 8 players. Ideally something like 16 players could happen too.

I know it's a graphically intense game, but why would the deathmatch genre go backwards? Why is Quake 2 better at deathmatch than Doom 4?

Even if it's because they don't think they can handle more than four players on screen on lighter hardware or something, I don't know the engine, there are other options. Maybe a 10 player "Last Man Standing" mode for example, like Action Half-Life.

Also, I take it the game doesn't even have team deathmatch, and no CTF of course. 2 on 2 wouldn't be that great for random pickup matches.

I'll still get it for the single-player, but I am not interested in 4 player deathmatch today, or even 16 years ago. The Left 4 Dead / Killing Floor mode does sound okay though, to be fair.

PsychoGoatee said:

Nobody is talking much about the multiplayer, and it looks like it might be another dud like Doom3's multiplayer.

The presentation says it has four player deathmatch. Considering the fast paced feel they're going for, probably wanting to appeal to some Quake3 players etc, I don't see how this will keep people's interest.

It should be an option, include a couple maps that might be four player only, if that close smaller style is a vision they like. But at least include the option for some slightly bigger battles, even 8 players. Ideally something like 16 players could happen too.

I know it's a graphically intense game, but why would the deathmatch genre go backwards? Why is Quake 2 better at deathmatch than Doom 4?

Even if it's because they don't think they can handle more than four players on screen on lighter hardware or something, I don't know the engine, there are other options. Maybe a 10 player "Last Man Standing" mode for example, like Action Half-Life.

Also, I take it the game doesn't even have team deathmatch, and no CTF of course. 2 on 2 wouldn't be that great for random pickup matches.

I'll still get it for the single-player, but I am not interested in 4 player deathmatch today, or even 16 years ago. The Left 4 Dead / Killing Floor mode does sound okay though, to be fair.

That was just a mode made through Snapmap.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I'm guessing it would be optional .

You mean having more than four players in deathmatch? Wouldn't they want to advertise it with a higher number in that case? The guy on stage said four players.

PsychoGoatee said:

You mean having more than four players in deathmatch? Wouldn't they want to advertise it with a higher number in that case? The guy on stage said four players.

Agreed. If it can support more than 4 players, why wouldn't they mention what is a big selling point? I'll likely grab it for SP, but not MP if 4 is the limit... oh I'll play it to check it out, but I'm personally into bigger games with more players. And nostalgia is fine... but 4 player max limit is so 20 years ago... seriously.

They already had an actual TDM event at the quakecon which was 8 vs 8 iirc. So it probably won't have DM where there is only 4player max.

DooM_RO said:
PsychoGoatee said:

That was just a mode made through Snapmap.

y the obnoxious long quotes brah

quakke said:

They already had an actual TDM event at the quakecon which was 8 vs 8 iirc. So it probably won't have DM where there is only 4player max.

Oh, that's very cool! It is odd that they said four player DM specifically at e3, but good to know.

Searching for Quakecon Doom team deathmatch I did find an IGN article that mentioned they announced Domination, Freeze Tag, and Clan Arena mode are included. The article didn't mention the number of players allowed though.

But being that it's Team DM, I'm sure what you're saying is right, it couldn't be 2 on 2. Just odd that id seems so mum on mentioning the player limit, other than saying four player that time.

Multiplayer goes up to 16 players (from what we've seen so far), but SnapMap only allows for 4 players. So if you want to make a Deathmatch mode in SnapMap, it can only go up to 4 players. That's what they meant.

Was it actually confirmed Snapmap is ONLY 4 players?
I was under the impression the mode they made through snapmap as an example was a 4-player mode, not that Snapmap itself would only allow 4 players.

If snap map only has 4 players.. at least the players wouldn't be stuck in lobby if no one wants to play the map.. unless theres a 4 minimum. I'm not even sure how this MP works. As far as quake goes I see no reason separating the 2 games anyhow. I needed a UT style game on my X1 and I got something better now.. concerning SP, I would love to explore the UAC world and fight demons in hell.
To solve the 4mp issue maybe Id could take the most downloaded maps and make em into a dlc for additional players. It seems Id is taking the next step to unify gaming and we should help make it better, not be like only 4 players whaat!?

I don't know what's the deal with the 4 player limit proposal, I have heard a lot about it - The nature of mapping though is that some maps will be best for 2 players, and some will need 8+. I'm hoping player limits will be optional or whatever, even something like Brit10 that was clearly intended for duel, it's fun to "break the rules" and get 6 people fragging in there.

I dunno, I think this can work out, but a 4 player limit would be a weird, pointless arbitrary limitation.

ChickenOrBeef said:

but SnapMap only allows for 4 players. So if you want to make a Deathmatch mode in SnapMap, it can only go up to 4 players. That's what they meant.

Proof please. In the E3 reveal they mentioned that you could make a "Classic DM environment," which could consist of 4 players. However, no where did they say that you could only have 4 players in a SnapMap map.

Clonehunter said:

Proof please. In the E3 reveal they mentioned that you could make a "Classic DM environment," which could consist of 4 players. However, no where did they say that you could only have 4 players in a SnapMap map.

I'm just basing that on the fact that I've only seen up to 4 players for all of the SnapMap videos. So it's not confirmed, but I'd bet on it.