Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkreaver

Decided to try out acrylic painting

So I decided to try out acrylics. I have never actually painted anything before (even though I've listed painting as my interests in other threads lol, I've just been planning to try it out for a very long time), so basically this is my very first piece!

I know, the motif is pretty damn cliché and dumb, but it was a good learning process and I most def will continue with painting, it's fun =)

The original isnt very big, 30x20 cm or so, and this pic looks a little smoother because of shitty phone cam and bad lighting. Also I upped the contrast a tiny bit in photoshop.

I am impressed!

Reminds me of Demon's Souls / Dark Souls. Not only the colors, but also the lonely figure with his horse as the only company. The dark siloutte of the rocky mountain with his hard edges against the background of those uneasy clouds seemingly pointing at the figure with the void below him.

You really should keep this going. I am no expert and i don't know would else you do in your life and what you have planned. But that looks to me like someone might be able to fetch a job as a concept artist or whatever else you possibly might dream about.

I was reminded of the original Icewind Dale art. That is a good thing.

Is this a first attempt? If so, you're a prodigy.

Regardless, I want to buy this painting.

Thanks guys! :) Yes its a first attempt actually. I have been drawing in the past, but Ive never tried painting until now for some reason.

Really? Is it really you that created this painting? It's just amazing :O for a first painting, you are really good! Were you inspired by a work or an artist? Your painting seems be of the "impressionism" :)

I know who Bob Ross is, but thats a totally different style and technique than this.
I had a look at a "acrylic painting basis" or something video, but I didnt follow the "rules" :p

Yeah I guess Bob Ross ain't exactly known for moody hellscapes.

"Okay, now we're gonna add in some scary clouds... make sure to blend carefully, so that the shrieking pterodactyl monsters stand out."

Was this inspired by Hawkwind's 1975 album "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" by any chance? You did a really good job that's for sure!

Wasnt inspired by anything tbh :) Started out as random shapes which gradually started resembling clouds. Then I added some mountain ish stuff. I actually painted the whole thing in a portrait shape. Look at the image 90 degrees clockwise and disregard the dude on the horse ;) Thats what it was like until the very end when I decided to rotate it and add that dude :)

Second try. Different style this time around. Pretty simple, basically just trying out colors. The saturation is upped a bit in post processing as they came out a little dull originally

darkreaver said:

Second try. Different style this time around. Pretty simple, basically just trying out colors. The saturation is upped a bit in post processing as they came out a little dull originally

http://i.imgur.com/moYlGke.jpg

I like the muddy look, it's very good. I'v been wanting to get into painting as well.