Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber8

My first level

This is my first level I made in Doom Builder 2. Couldn't upload it on /idgames, cause I can't figure out that FTP thing.
I threw a bunch of textures (authors credited in .txt file) and made something.
Wanted to upload some screenshots but i'm in a hurry now.
Have "fun".
http://www.speedyshare.com/BCHY5/unnamed.rar

cyber8 said:

Couldn't upload it on /idgames, cause I can't figure out that FTP thing.

So you start in a square room with one door. You go through the door and kill two Troopers. You hit the only switch and the level ends. Such fun! Started again. This time a Trooper shot at me, hit the wall behind me and opened a hidden door. Killed the Troopers and tried to open the door again. Couldn't. It's obviously tagged G1. La, how jolly.

There's enough broken crap on idgames. You should probably fix this before you upload it anywhere. At the very least, test it first.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

So you start in a square room with one door. You go through the door and kill two Troopers. You hit the only switch and the level ends. Such fun! Started again. This time a Trooper shot at me, hit the wall behind me and opened a hidden door. Killed the Troopers and tried to open the door again. Couldn't. It's obviously tagged G1. La, how jolly.

Christ did he just upload his tutorial map?

At start turn 90 degrees to the left, then shoot the wall. Once you go through the next door the actual level starts, complete with music and whatnot.

It's actually not a bad level at all once you get past that crappy beginning. After that it does a 180 and gets very decent in terms of both looks and gameplay. It's hard to believe such a solid level has a starting area like that! I wonder what the hell that's about! I mean, it shouldn't take long to go back and spend half an hour improving it and making it look like the rest of the level. Really, that's too bad, because I would probably have left the level to rot on my harddrive if vespa hadn't hinted about the secret door.

I recommend this level, especially since it's a first effort! There's definitely potential in Cyber8 if he keeps this up!

Hehe I liked how you made the start of the map like that with an exit included so a lot of people pretty much missed the map. Although if it weren't for reading chris hansen's comment before downloading you might have fooled me too, maybe :S

Anyway nice map!

Ditch all of the fights where the player has to tediously plink away at non-threatening HP right in front of him, and you'll have something. The HKs/Barons/Demons in hallways are the most common offenders.

Chris Hansen said:

I recommend this level, especially since it's a first effort! There's definitely potential in Cyber8 if he keeps this up!

I have great respect for your opinion and ablities, so I tried it again. You're right. Very nice map. I don't know what those first three rooms were about. If they were meant as a joke, I didn't laugh.

A couple of secrets are impossible to find without looking at the automap. Author's prerogative, I guess.

The sky is screwy in a couple of spots (at least in ZDoom) - looking NW from the Plasma Gun in the outdoor pool by the Blue Key door and in the Spiderboss area.

Missing texture line 4209 (along the upper walkway around the east side of the pentagram). Textures are there; linedef flipped the wrong way.

Lava in pentagram not damaging. Intentional?

Arachno platform NE of pentagram - if you SR too fast to get there, you can fall down behind it and be stuck.

When you grab the Yellow Key and jump down through the opening, monsters spawn in. But you don't have to jump through the opening. You can go back down the stairs through the door. I'm not sure giving the player that option was intentional. If you want to force the combat, just make the door into the area a one-way door.

Vespa's wrong about the music. There is none in the wad. It just uses the music from MAP07.

The author has a good grasp of 3D mapping - coming back across the same areas again, but at different heights and levels. A good-looking map. Some colored lighting, but not an obnoxious amount; used well. The only sloped floors were on the graves, I think. I probably would have liked it better with half the monsters. It got to the point of "Another Baron. I wonder where the AV is?" Maybe that's just first map syndrome. "Have to add lots of monsters to keep it exciting!" At least there was lots of ammo to kill them all with.

If this really is the author's first map, then "Well Done!" You're head and shoulders above 80% of first-time mappers. Keep doing what you're doing.

3_nights said:

> "unnamed.rar"
Um, yeah, I'm not downloading that from a website called "speedyshare.com"

Oh yeah, because you're so going to be infected with malware from opening a RAR or a WAD file. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway, it's a really cool little map but those Hell Knights in the narrow hallways were real mood killers. Other than that it's sure worth checking out.
Liked you hommage to ORIGWAD too.

Glad you guys like it. This is my first map and I wanted to do some opposite terrywad. I have my issues with this level. There's not much freedom in moving around this map, the road for yellow and red key is just go there and get back, barons in tight hallways are just slowing the pace, some sectors are more detailed than others and the whole complex don't make much sense and just feels tight. I'll keep in mind your notices. Thanks for playing.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

The sky is screwy in a couple of spots (at least in ZDoom) - looking NW from the Plasma Gun in the outdoor pool by the Blue Key door and in the Spiderboss area.

The author has a good grasp of 3D mapping - coming back across the same areas again, but at different heights and levels. A good-looking map.

If this really is the author's first map, then "Well Done!" You're head and shoulders above 80% of first-time mappers. Keep doing what you're doing.

I noticed that bug with the sky too. I even took a screenshot of it, jus forgot to post it. It's the area in the red box:

Eff is right on the other points as well. The 3D feel and progression of the level is very strong, right up my alley! :)

The last statement from Eff bears repeating!

Chris Hansen said:

I noticed that bug with the sky too.

I looked at that square and I don't really get the thing. I'm not seeing any bugging sky. Not even from the spot you took screenshot.

That's most likely because you're using the method that OpenGL tends to use where it automatically clips the sky when there's no texture adjacent to a sky flat. You're not meant to do this with software and it makes it look all funky.

Oh I see, in OpenGL skybox is stretched in sphere-a-like thing. Thought this won't happen in software mode.

Software is very different since it's literally the same renderer as the original game. OpenGL ports like GZDoom and its derivatives have similar skybox technology to Quake 2.