Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

The Guts and Gore of DOOM Glory Kills (NEW VIDEO)

Apologies if this has already been posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qfIY4RqWs

It's from the E3 2015 Live Stage which means there's no new gameplay footage, but we do get to see some higher-quality E3 footage which is nice.

In the video they keep referring to "arenas," though, and that concerns me.

This quote early on is especially worrisome:

"You're in these arenas and as you saw there, there's enemies behind you, there's enemies in front of you, and you're constantly moving; so we needed something that, in this "push forward" space, allowed you to really quickly and efficiently (and in a very 'DOOM' style) finish these close quarters combat engagements."

Arenas...
Constantly moving...
Push forward space...

Sounds to me like the levels will indeed be quite linear and play out much more similarly to those in Serious Sam, Painkiller, and the latest Shadow Warrior than the labyrinths all throughout DOOM and DOOM II.

EDIT:
A few more new videos:
How DOOM Combat Will Test Your Skills
Honoring the Legacy of DOOM
Discovering the Essence of DOOM

First part of the demo shows a huge industrial complex where you are free to explore and there's no closed arenas, unless the hole level is an arena and in this case we have a pretty labirinthy arena map ( well by modern standarts i mean). Also they can combine arenas within a maze like structure....so it's really hard to say. Maybe they refer to combat only and not to a overall level design itself...cos once again look at the first demo level....it is absolutely clear that it is open for exploration and do not lock you within arenas.

Jesus Christ man, how can people still be commenting on linear level design without having played the damn game yet? Seriously the shits getting old and if people had eyes rather than be a bunch of whiny brats they can see multiple instances of open design.

Seriously im getting tired of reading this crap here and in other forums.

Xaero_Four said:

Jesus Christ man, how can people still be commenting on linear level design without having played the damn game yet? Seriously the shits getting old and if people had eyes rather than be a bunch of whiny brats they can see multiple instances of open design.

Seriously im getting tired of reading this crap here and in other forums.

Hey man, I'm just going by what the developers themselves are saying in these videos. Don't get your panties all in a bunch.

HAS CHUBZDOOMER RETURNED TO US?

I HAVE XOMPLETED CHUBZ IN SPACE AT LEAST TWICE

I HAVE LEARNED NOT TO WARER COOL MY COMPUTER WITH LINT

If you watch the first gameplay demo you'll see there are loads of paths. Remember the path the player was going down when he heard the imp scream? That leads to the area at the end of the demo judging by screenshots. Also if you look closely at the hell demo it looks like on the upper levels there are caves that lead somewhere, I'm not convinced the cyberdemon is the actual end to that demo.

Off topic: hey, it is Chubz! You're what made me want to try out doom mapping for myself, thanks dude :D

Chubzdoomer actually really helped me out a few times with his DoomBuilder tutorial series. His soothing voice was sugary sweet. As to linearity, it is quite clearly not linear. Both the techbase and hell maps showed that the player could have approached the area any number of ways. I think "arena" is being thrown around because it's shorter and sexier than "environment." Lastly, the "push forward combat" makes sense if you're the type of Doomer who likes to bum rush each map and basically complete it as fast as possible. I myself frequently play like this.