Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shotgun Guy

Pistol start mod for ZDoom

...or shotgun start...or rocket launcher start...

I wrote a mod for ZDoom that makes pistol starting a level easier (No more typing "idclev##"!). You can either pistol start when respawning or at the start of a new level.
You can also decide what guns and how much ammo and health do you start with using a menu found under "Options". You can even ban certain weapons to create your own "Tyson mode". There's also a random map picker.

This mod is designed for hardcore players who want to make the game harder for themselves, but you can also make the game easier if you want to.

The following setup gives you a chainsaw, a shotgun and 20 shells but leaves you at 75 health every time you reset.

NOTE: You have to disable autosaving for this to work correctly (type "disableautosave 1" in the console).

Download link

If you find any bugs, make sure to tell me.
Have fun!

Also, this is my first mod I have released so... yeah.

Well I'm sure someone will like this. This does seem like it could be popular with the speedrunning crowd since they could make new challenges for themselves or something.

Yeah, I had speedrunners in mind when I made this. I got the idea when I watched a livestream where the guy playing had to reset the map to pistol start.

Very cool! I could also use this to ease into hard WADs on UV, say starting with 120 health and a shotgun or something. Options are always fun.

Just curious, what does autosaving break?

PsychoGoatee said:

Just curious, what does autosaving break?

With autosaving enabled pistol starting after death does not work, because the game will load the save instead of resetting your stuff.

Dude great job on this mod. It literally has everything I need. Even start with berserk ^^ I was wondering about that for a moment when I clicked the no pistol option. Looks like you've considered everything here, including pretty much everything I haven't mentioned here, heh.
10/10 from me! :)

Fonze said:

Dude great job on this mod. It literally has everything I need. Even start with berserk ^^ I was wondering about that for a moment when I clicked the no pistol option. Looks like you've considered everything here, including pretty much everything I haven't mentioned here, heh.
10/10 from me! :)

Hey thanks man!

I'm thinking about implementing a "Ban weapons" feature. With it you can completely disable the weapons of your choice, like disabling everything but the pistol and the fist to force "Tyson mode". I can't implent that now, because I don't have access to my computer for a few days.

Salt-Man Z said:

Just for the sake of information, here's the pistol start WAD I've been using:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/67715-zdoom-pistol-start-options/

I like to use it to turn on pistol start for certain wads via the command line; I use individual Windows shortcuts to launch all my wads, and play continuous by default.

I was going to say that this mod exists, but the one in the op seems more user friendly.

To Shotgun Guy: I think a ban weapon feature would be cool, especially for those Tyson runs ^^

To BlackFish: Yeah, I looked at the other one; granted I didn't download it, but it didn't look near as user-friendly as this one is nor did it look like it had as many options to customize how you begin. This is just an options menu along all the other stuff in the in-game menu and the options are laid out in a way that makes it easy to understand; it's in plain English, not Doom jargon that needs definitions. It is extremely convenient to use. Always nice to see something done totally right :)

Though I won't bad mouth the other mod; it looks like it did its job well.

BlackFish said:

You think a random level script, similar to the pistol start mod I linked, can be possible in yours?

Sure, I just have to look at the script inside the mod you linked and make my own version of it.

Just now, StealthMan375 said:

To Shotgun Guy: Sorry for reviving this ancient thread, but the link to your pistol-start wad is broken. Can you update, please?

he has been last online in 2017, so i doubt he will update the link

7 hours ago, Tango said:

I havent tested it at all myself yet, but this pistol start mod here looks really solid: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=61079

it is GZDoom only though, I think

I was just gonna mention that one by m8f lol. Yeah he's a really talented modder but I think all his mods are in zscript. I like how Shotgun Guy's is more customizable, look forward to trying this out:)