Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

How do you normally play DOOM? With Original or Modern Gameplay?

BlackFish said:

Been typically using GZDoom with 144hz and mouselook, WASD, and crosshair. If doable, I also use Smooth Doom.

Going from 144hz back to 60hz is a jarring difference (I was playing on my new TV earlier), as if Doom was "made" for 144hz. I just can't comfortable play in 60hz anymore. 35hz still is okay though, as it's the original intended framerate.

If anyone's wondering, 144hz actually captures Doom's movement without the motion blur 60hz introduces.

same here. smooth doom, gore mod, hd textures, some cosmetic goodies like these, without altering weapons. 144 hz monitor with motion blur reduction (a strobed backlight for those who don't know it) to recreate CRT motion clarity, as motion blur is horrid to me.

SavageCorona said:

Despite its age I think that Doom is still a modern game in its influences, focus on the raw mechanics and the fact it's evolved as it has over the years just cements that belief. So yes I do like to play with mouse aiming but I won't disrespect the developer's intentions by jumping and crouching if it wasn't meant to be.

Said it better than I could have :)

I feel like jumping and crouching are akin to IDCLIP for maps not built for them. Mouselook doesnt strike me as much of an advantage save sniping, except that now I'm out of practice with KB only. When I was a kid I used that KB like an extension of myself, now I'm like a clunky robot with it, lol.

The crosshair is something that is iffy. Back in the day I used to put a piece of tape with a dot on it to mark the center of the screen because of the shotgun-bobbing bug, then I learned to naturally find the center of the screen and remember it. It's not hard in a game like Doom because you can use the monitors logo, which is usually close to the center-line, as a reference point since the shotgun is untrustworthy. But most guns have an obvious center point that makes aiming easy without outside reference points. Nowadays I just use the tiny dot crosshair because I do mouselook and snipe, and many pWads give Jack shit for ammo.

Back in the 90s it was all keyboard, iddqd and idkfa for me. Never beat the games legitimately, until recently actually.
Now I use Zandronum, WASD+Freelook, Brutal Doom in Classic mode, and jumping/crouching enabled.

I really dislike the reloading in BD, but headshots and the changed monster AI work for me. Jumping/crouching is never used to skip stuff in maps, just sometimes to peek over ledges, plus it gives me something to do on slow elevators.

Usually alternate between Chocolate-Doom and Doomsday. Sometimes play with Prboom-Plus if I play some big monster heavy levels.. or if I watch demos. I like how the playback can be paused, and skipped forward, so I can continue it later.

Sometimes I might play with a deh or ded that changes the weapon firerates, ammo counts, monster stats and monster attack rates.

Keyboard for casual play. But for Zandronum I use keyboard and mouse. I use Zdoom as my main source port, without crosshairs but with jump and crouch enabled only when necessary.

I also prefer binding movement keys to WASD And use key to "E" for Steam DOOM 2 Version, that's how i usually play Half-life .

I am a Zdoom player all the way only because it is the only port that I have come across with extreme support for Hexen. Hexen was the only Doom game that I played with the original exe with working sound without it bogging up my system. I like how it can create a vanilla atmosphere by not changing any of the settings and then play more modern style with mouse look, jumping and crouching.

For Doom and Heretic I use zdoom for the convenience but still use mouse look and I only jump if the map requires it. But I still prefer the option to play the games with the more modern style settings. It all depends on what mood I am in and what the situation requires.

I am also old school Raven with control setup such as using my arrow keys to move around. This gets tricky when playing more modern games that require more buttons.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I also prefer binding movement keys to WASD And use key to "E" for Steam DOOM 2 Version, that's how i usually play Half-life .

Hows Half-Life 3 coming along ;)

WASD + mouse in Vanilla Doom on DOSBox. I'll play chocolate-doom for multiplayer to avoid indigo lag. Does anyone know if the latency issue is a bug with doom.exe or ipxsetup.exe?

Up until recently, I played Doom using the original keyboard controls. But since getting a trackball mouse, I've switched to WASD + mouselook. Feels much more natural to me than the keyboard ever did.

(G)ZDoom, freelook/freeaim, jump/crouch (where applicable), mwheel weapons, crosshair. Except when I'm on the sofa, then I'm on an XOne controller (modern FPS layout).

I play vanilla, mostly on Doom Retro or Chocolate/Crispy Doom. There's nothing better than an unintelligible mass of pixels on your face :)

Really, this is art:

I use GZDoom, without jump or crouch. I do use Smooth Doom with the Assault Rifle. I can't stand the pistol :P

Since discovering Doom Retro I rarely play with any other port. It's probably the only port for me that brings back that original gritty atmosphere instead of the almost uber clean you get with using GL renders and such.

Just found out about Crispy Doom and I love it. 640x400 is plenty enough for Doom imo, while the original 320x200 can be cool but somewhat fuzzy. And I like the non-gameplay altering additions like the coloured blood and random flipping of the death anims/corpses. So for anything that is vanilla I would use this, and no extra stuff like jumping of vertical mouselook, etc.

For anything that is Boom I would use Eternity.

And for anything that requires it I would use GZDoom or ZDoom or whatever, but I have to say that I am not a fan at all of the visuals of the GL Sourceports. Doom needs the diminished lighting, imo.

I play with modern, personally. If jumping or running wasn't intended, then it should have been disabled, and if the WAD came out before that was an option, then it's the author's own fault for not seeing far enough into the future to understand that.

Suicidal Imp said:

I play with modern, personally. If jumping or running wasn't intended, then it should have been disabled

Running? Oh dear, looks like someone has only just discovered the game.

and if the WAD came out before that was an option, then it's the author's own fault for not seeing far enough into the future to understand that.

You're an idiot.

Suicidal Imp said:

... If jumping or running wasn't intended, then it should have been disabled, and if the WAD came out before that was an option, then it's the author's own fault for not seeing far enough into the future to understand that.

Wow.

BaronOfStuff said:

Running? Oh dear, looks like someone has only just discovered the game.

You're an idiot.

Lmfao

I wonder if a certain someone, saw all this coming? /snicker /hide

...oh, and I only add mouselook to my game. Gameplay stays vanilla otherwise... no crosshair, jump, or crouch.

But I'm not against tweaking the looks a little with a better rendering engine.. something with dynamics lights. :)

I play all the wads I can in Chocolate Doom, using the Quake getup. I'm just really used to using WASD and E so it's what feels most natural for me in Doom. No mouselook, no jumping or crouching. Ah, and no crosshair either.

For online play I use ZDoom in 1920x1080 with uncapped fps. There I usually prefer to keep mouselook off for all competitive gamestyles, while I turn mouselook on for Coop maps unless I don't feel like it.

I play a modern setup with GZDoom, KB+mouse, mouselook, crosshair, and I have jump and crouch keys bound; although if the mapper decides to disable these I'll usually play along with that. I like high resolutions but I don't like anti-aliasing or texture smoothing or whatever because I think it makes things look blobby and ugly. Pixels are beautiful.

In all truth, I usually modify my game setup depending on the WAD I'm playing: with vanilla or Boom WADs, I'll stick to classic Doom gameplay, with no jumping, crouching or freelook. With modern, ZDoom-based WADs, they're built with those features in mind, so I use them in those cases.

I know some people just consider this stuff personal preference, but it can radically alter gameplay for maps that didn't originally support those features, to the point that it's virtually cheating. Consider the final, hellish room of Plutonia's Map09: Abattoire. Play it as it's originally intended, and it's a complete nightmare, since the chaingunners are too far away for the vertical auto-aim to kick in unless you get right into the middle of the action. Play it with freelook, and you can just hang back and snipe the zombies from the doorway with no problem, and take out the mancubi and revenants from a nice, safe distance, too, destroying a major component of the room's original challenge.

RexFesto696 said:

In fact, one of my best friends told me that using the Original Gameplay on a regular basis can become a bad habit (mainly because you can't aim up and down), especially when so many other FPS games utilize the Modern Gameplay...

Also, this is bullcrap. That's like saying you shouldn't play platformer games because the different controls will mess up your FPS skills. You can easily transition from classic Doom gameplay to modern FPS gameplay if you have enough practice with both.

vesperas said:

I play vanilla, mostly on Doom Retro or Chocolate/Crispy Doom. There's nothing better than an unintelligible mass of pixels on your face :)

It certainly makes it look "grittier" as opposed to the higher res ports that make it look cleaner.

ptoing said:

Just found out about Crispy Doom and I love it. 640x400 is plenty enough for Doom imo, while the original 320x200 can be cool but somewhat fuzzy. And I like the non-gameplay altering additions like the coloured blood and random flipping of the death anims/corpses. So for anything that is vanilla I would use this, and no extra stuff like jumping of vertical mouselook, etc.

For anything that is Boom I would use Eternity.

Heh, based on the reasons you like Crispy Doom, you should try Doom Retro for boom projects.

Also, I hope Suicidal Imp was trolling ...

VGA: Yeah, I tried Retro Doom. It's very nice as well. The only thing I wished it had was easier access to the added options. But once everything is set as you like, it's cool.

I agree with Megamur regarding the "bad habit" argument.

I play with a mostly "original" setup since I am something of a purist. So no freelook, no crosshair, no jumping and no crouching or even gamma correction (it pisses me of that most source ports have the gamma set to max by default, as I always forget to turn it back off after updating versions). I also have infinitely tall actors and all that jazz turned on.

However, I'd rather leave DOOM2.EXE and Chocolate Doom alone with their horrible graphics, and constant, unmanageable game-crashing bugs. Which is why my source port of choice is GlBoom+ set to whichever -complevel parameter will make a given Pwad behave closest to vanilla Doom as can be achieved.

Now with all that being said, if a Pwad happens to require advanced gameplay functions, then I have no qualms about dusting off Zdoom, turning those functions on, and trying it out.

That gamma correction thing. Jesus I hate seeing videos where the player has turned it all the way up to max setting, washing the visuals out in the process and making everything look like utter fucking shit.

Budoka said:

I'd rather leave DOOM2.EXE and Chocolate Doom ... horrible graphics ... constant, unmanageable game-crashing bugs

u wot m8

If the engine's crashing all the time, then it's because you're simply playing incompatible/overdetailed maps. Outside of that, Doom's actually incredibly stable/resilient and gets away with absolute murder regarding hacky map tricks to create various illusions of 3D and other nonsense. The horrible graphics thing, though... you mean resolution, right?

BaronOfStuff said:

That gamma correction thing. Jesus I hate seeing videos where the player has turned it all the way up to max setting, washing the visuals out in the process and making everything look like utter fucking shit.

By default glboom-plus looks washed out, too bright/no darkness and with vaseline filtered sprites. The amount of shit visuals in YT videos I have had to endured due to this port's default options really has reduced my life expectancy.