Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How will Doom be remembered on its 35th anniversary?

I only say 35 because Pacman is the same age, and while there haven't been any major Pacman releases in recent times, it has this legendary status that is undeniable. Doom, of course, is a bit more of an underdog, despite being a household name, so it's clearly going down in gaming history. So when we look back at Doom as far back as we look at Pacman, what will we think? What will its status be in pop culture?

We'll probably be saying GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS! I'M TRYING TO BEAT A DOOM SPEEDRUN HERE!!!

Won't be alive to see it

#DeadBefore30

All the CoD kids will be celebrating Doom's anniversary with one of the following four attitudes:

a) "Doom laid down the foundation for Half Life; and for this we will be forever grateful!"

b) "Doom? Yeah, I played it when it first came out in 2016! It wouldn't have existed without CoD though... Also isn't Doom only like 10 years old?"

c) "Never played it."

d) "Yeah man! Doom was rad!" (never played Doom)

As for me, I'll probably be on this forum still arguing about how shitty doom 2 is compared to doom 1 :3

AwesomeO-789 said:

b) "Doom? Yeah, I played it when it first came out in 2016! It wouldn't have existed without CoD though... Also isn't Doom only like 10 years old?"

Not going to lie, I LOLed at this.

It won't be remembered. It will be played, by the survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse on cannibalised 486s and Pentium 90s dug out of the rubble.

The first chapel will open where weekly sermons will be given on map editing. Congregation Deathmatches are performed on sundays, along with red wine to encourage leadership out of internal and external conflicts.

I never joined an online community, attempted to make maps and content nor shared nearly the same amount of passion for Pacman than I have for the Doom series. Regardless of some people's opinions, dodgy game articles and documentaries Doom will always have more sentimental value to me with way more nostalgia.

I'll have managed to purchase my 100th copy of Doom, filling up my bedroom of the game including the bed. My wife will then decide to kick me out of the house for wasting my time with such an old game. I'll try to counter by telling her that she's bought Symphony of the Night 10 times, but she wouldn't listen ...

Much fun to be had for all.

Well, it'll be 2028 when Doom reaches it's 35th anniversary, and I'll be 29 years old. Chances are, I'll still be playing it.

How it will be remembered entirely depends on the person, what memories they had, their opinions and such. One thing is for sure, Doom was a breakthrough game in the FPS genre that many other games after took inspiration from.
Hopefully the WAD community will still be active by the 2020's.

Pirx said:

as a kickass classic from the time when games had pixels.

No, you're thinking of the Adam Sandler classic hit movie that became an integral part of family get-togethers on Christmas holidays.