Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdoom_fan

I hate to be rude....

Is it me or do the models and skins for DOOMGL look VERY similar to the ones in JDoom...? I mean open the skins in photoshop and compare them...
hmm...just a thought

o and if were gona take sides on this one, i am fully with SkyJake, Chebb, and Abbs :)

Well, no shit you are. Ever consider the fact that the ZDooMGL models are the same as the ones in JDooM?

The ZDoomGL models were made by Edmundo Bordeu (the same person responsible for the wonderful ZanZan TC).

The JDoom models are just modifications of the original ZDoomGL models (well, they were originally for DoomGL, which was the first source port to support 3d models).

This = The ZDOOMGL forum.

JDoom doesn't have all the cool features that ZDoom(GL) has, it's all eye-candy. Can JDoom do slopes? Does it have ACS? No.

OK, enough JDoom bashing from me :P It's actually not that bad, but it's not as good as ZDoom/GL IMO.

Agent Spork said:

Well actually I dont know many of the models that are the EXACT same. Alot of the models have been changed.

Um... that's not the point. jdoom_fan tried to imply that DoomGL stole the models from JDoom.

err... yeah but i said sorry...!
OK well maybe ZDOOMGLS is better but I (me, myself, etc) still *prefer* JDooM as i like 2 stick 2 the original gameplay as much as possible. (excluding graphics of course)

and if you want me 2 b totally honest then i must say i havnt played ZDooMGL...just kinda looked at screenies and checked out the md2s.

tell you what...if i just quickly remove my head from my arse...i'll try out ZDooMGL...

(im focusing on looks here not features)
well after a quick install (ZDooMGL is easier to install than JDooM) it looked pretty good. Had to run it in 3dfx mode.
I played ultimate doom and i have 2 say that ZDooMGL is faster but JDooM has better special effects. Bad guy models are the same quality. I liked the feature that has blood splaterin' on the wall when you knock a hole in someone. And also the bullet marks on the wall. Particles for weapons and blood is turned off by default but they work just as well as the particles in the doomsday engine. Explosions and fireballs etc are missing (ok not missing but the original sprites are kept in) which is real shame. The explosions in JDooM are impressive.

All in all, although i wish JDooM had the blood marks etc, i still prefer JDooM basically because the graphics are better. In the way of features, well you are right, ZDooMGL has far more (i should say that ZDooM has more features - ZDooMGL is just a graphics engine right (i think. please correct me if i am wrong but it doesnt add any more 'features' does it?)). At the end of the day i say that the original DooM had just the right features (some DooM ports are far too bloated) and all that i like 2 be improved is the graphics.

Agent Spork said:

Well.. That's what everyone tends to think nowdays.

I disagree. Just look at those long bluesnews lamerwars about DOOM3 gameplay vs. looks.

Heh, well it is kinda true that JDoom looks better, especially since ZDoomGL hasn't been updated for quite some time ;)

Read timmie's post. ENVIRONMENT MAPPING ON TEXTURES!!! COOL!!!

Hehehe...

Somebody drop a few links to those images of Kurt Kesler's ZGL map. ZGL has just as much capacity for eye-candy as JDoom. This guy just means to say that JDoom displays the original levels better. I think ZGL has a lot more potential, though.

In this case, how the whole package looks really depends more on the maps than the engine.

(Did Kesler ever finish that map?)

Ultraviolet said:

(Did Kesler ever finish that map?)

No, he did not. AFAIK he lost this map. I send him an older version of it though, but apparently is was very old :/ Dunno if he ever did any more work on it.

Why does it matter who made the models? What is wrong with reusing the models in all ports. It seems to me that it would be an utter waste of time to insist on a set of models only being used with one port as it would just mean everything would have to be done twice.

fraggle said:

It seems to me that it would be an utter waste of time to insist on a set of models only being used with one port as it would just mean everything would have to be done twice.

This is because JDoom's model support is more advanced than ZDoomGL's, since ZDoomGL hasn't been updated for a fair while...