Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skatepunk60

Doom ever get you in trouble?

Im 16 now so i was fairly small when doom came out. When it did i couldnt afford the registed copy so i just kept on playing the Shareware one. I got soo hooked that one day we had show and tell at me school and i brought in the shareware doom disks and loaded it onto the computer (without the teacher knowing) and started showing the whole class. Needless to say i got suspended but it was worth it to see everyones faces when i whipped out the chainsaw and started hacking demons. Ahh...priceless.

Anyone else every have doom get you into trouble?

Well, just after Columbine I was taken aside and questioned rather thoroughly about things which may or may not have been said and plans that were definitelly not being made. Naturally, the dean of students believed the rumor-spreading, slandering idiots in my class more than he believed me.

But it's three and a half years on, I'm not dead and still out of jail, so it's all good.

yea i once got in trouble cause my mom thought the game was bad for me. however i ignored her and went on playing. also i got in trouble for playing it a school a few times

Not directly, although on occasion I play Doom or some newer game instead of doing a school assigment or something.

Doom in particular didn't really get me into trouble.
The whole 'violent videogame-genre' did get me into some small trouble.

My mother saw a documentary about 'violent videogames and what they could do to your sensitive little brains' the other day.
It's not like she freaked out, but she did go into discussion with me, which I've wun :)

God, I hate those tv-shows..

My mum went batshit at me once because of Quake 2...

I was in one of the cell blocks and the marines were screaming their heads off, with the same quotes over and over and over (on the playstation) and groveling in the dirt. It was annoying as fuck.

Anyway, my mum comes through from the kitchen and tells me to shut them up.

So I turned round and shot the marine in the face, blowing him into gibs.

My mum went mental like I was completely insane or something. "You can't do that!!!" and I was like "Why the fuck not? You ordered it, Commisar."

She got really pissed off and pulled the power from the PSX. Bitch.

Yeah Disorder, I watched that documentary like 45 minutes ago. Dave Grossman explaining to teachers how Counter-Strike will turn their students into killing machines, blablablablabla. I won't start the whole games/violence discussion again, though it is just totally fucked how people who have no experience playing videogames convince parents with false arguments like that.

My parents have never complained about violence in the games I play... Especially since I've mostly been playing really old text adventure games lately. "OPEN WINDOW. TAKE SWORD." Gotta love it.

I love you DN :)

You ordered it, Commisar.

Hahahahahaha!

Lord FlatHead said:

My parents have never complained about violence in the games I play... Especially since I've mostly been playing really old text adventure games lately. "OPEN WINDOW. TAKE SWORD." Gotta love it.

Zork is teh own, I dropped a few letter grades for a week or so because of that when I discovered it some years ago. I may just have to go download it again...

My brother was having fun with the chainsaw on one of my maps. My mom saw him and pretty much ordered it to be off the computer. I was like "Nice going. There go all my maps!" toward him.

I was using DCK to build maps back then. So, what I've done to "solve" the issue was take the chainsaw out of the DCK game definition file. Eventually (and fortunately), she cooled off some. That was two years ago.

I did a speech on how to make Doom maps in Oral Communications.

Everybody was like "Huh?" but I got an A so I didn't care.

My parents have criticised the hours I've spent palying it over the years, but as I've achieved everything socially and educationally and better they don't care anymore.

My 7th grade project was to read a book and then do a project on it. So, needless to say that book was "Tricks of the Doom Gurus". And the project was a 3-level Doom wad. I took about 5 students to the library and we played on the LAN in there...good times.

Of course, 'A' material =)

My mum went mental like I was completely insane or something. "You can't do that!!!" and I was like "Why the fuck not? You ordered it, Commisar."

She got really pissed off and pulled the power from the PSX. Bitch.

teh funnayz

/me salutes

I remember in 5th grade my dad bought the Shareware version of Heretic. The teacher asked us to write in our journals. I wrote in there how cool Heretic was, and how whenever you kill a Gargoyle it's guts roll down the stairs making splatting sounds. The teacher had all of us read it out loud. When I read my entry, the teacher looked at me like I had 2 heads, and she said no comment.

Don't you hate it when people get so uptight about video game violence? Yeah, pixelated blood and 2D-ish sprites are SOOO traumatizing. Those politics are wusses.

DOOM never got me into trouble but installing Unreal Tournament onto the school LAN did.

Oh yeah, when I didn't have the Internet at home I use to go on Doomworld.com and it eventually got banned from the server, it's still banned now and that was two years ago, something about 'level 4, mild explicit, violence' password stuffage..

Heh, I remember in year 5 I showed the doom2 box for show and tell :P
I even read out the bit in the book about monster crossfire.

Oh and I got in alot of shit at school for downloading Doom & ZDoom, and spreading it onto quite a few of the computers at school, hehehe...

Heh, I downloaded the Mac Doom shareware at school and installed it and played it during computer class when I was done. My computer teacher didn't care but my regular teacher did. I had to delete it. Bah, I didn't I just said I did. Hehehe.

Disorder: but she did go into discussion with me, which I've wun :)

How can you win a discussion with a mom? That`s like... by definition IMPOSSIBLE!

Anyway...
DOOM never got in real trouble, but who knows what I missed out on while I was playing/ mapping. I could have been a rockstar or a brilliant young scientist by now. But no, I had to spent my time behind a computer instead of a guitar or books.

That makes me feel depressed... I`ll go play some DOOM now...

:-( + DOOM = :-D

Why does the chainsaw freak everyone out as opposed to the far more realistic killing device: The shotgun?

Yeah, I remember once there was a spot in the radio about some guy who realised that Doom was evil. It was when he reached level 32 of Doom2 and saw that he had to kill defenseless babies in order to complete the level it became too much for him. Obviously he hadn't played Commander Keen.

My mother freaked out and ordered anything remotely Doom deleted from the hard drive (somehow it kept reappearing, but that's another issue).

Later I was able to convince her that it wasn't babies but only a game developer in-joke. It took an official apology on the radio. She still thinks it's a poor jo though ke and I agree with her.

In my younger days I got told off for being cught playing hexen (bata)...

Dad: What's that?
Me (aged 13): Hexen.
/me smites a two headded mace dude.
Dad: what's it rated?
Me: I donno... M?
Dad: your to young for that, quit it.
/me alt+enter's it, dad leaves room, me keeps playing from were I left off...

I never got into doom or any vilont game before I was fifteen anyway, so it wasn't really an issue. I have had so huge arguments over the amount of time i spent playing games, but really, It's not like I'd be doing anything better anyway.

I remember back when I was in 11th grade in high school, I had loaded Doom2 onto one of the several computers in my third period class, which happened to be math. The teacher came in, saw me on Level 08, fighting off all those Barons and the Cybie whilst invisible, and nearly blew her stack. Needless to say, I couldn't play that game at school anymore :(

m0l0t0v said:

How can you win a discussion with a mom? That`s like... by definition IMPOSSIBLE!

Well, I didn't really 'win' the discussion, but I convinced her that seeing all that graphical violence wouldn't hurt my little soul :)

Lord Flathead: You saw that documentary too?
I never knew you could receive Nederland 1 in Belgium..
It was a pretty interesting documentary though.
The fairest I've seen so far.. At last, they showed both sides of the story. This time not just one guy who calls himself an expert without ever playing Doom, Counterstrike, etc. speeking freely and attacking the gaming-industry. Phew..

For the last time, Doom shouldn't really be considered a violent game. Sure, there's blood, gore, death, and mutilation, but this is a fairly old game we're talking about here! Hell, everything but the game world itself is 2D, for cryin' out loud!
I wish these 99-year Senators would get off Doomers' backs about Doom being violent, because compared to some of the newer games out now, it's not violent at all.

DooMBoy said:

For the last time, Doom shouldn't really be considered a violent game. Sure, there's blood, gore, death, and mutilation

Now that's exactly the problem :)

Yeah, but as I pointed out earlier, it's nowhere near as violent as say, Soldier of Fortune II.

I get bitched at by my mom, my dad doesn't really care, my mom really doesn't either but she whines about it like OH YOU AND THAT VIOLENCE